Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

single and doublechops

• 14-05-2011 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

lets have a trip down memory lane. what sort of crack was it and how much did ye do in a day pulling with what.anybody mow it for a single chop.myself and the nextdoor neighbour are trying to convince each other to go cutting our own silage. probilly wont but we are having some fun with it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We still cut our silage with a single chop harvester and do a few acres for the neighbour . The gear doesnt owe us anything at this stage even though we have the odd bit of down time from breakages .Id say we cut about ten or fifteen acres a day , nothing hectic but i like it (for a few days anyhow) and it saves paying a contractor . We have a case 956 with a 60 inch gyro harvester ,a case 580g buckraking and two 12 x 7 trailers pulled by a 390 drawing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I used to fatten dry cows on double chop silage without any supplements. Single chop would also fatten cattle. Harvesting 70 acres with a double chop could take up to a fortnight in a bad summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I used to fatten dry cows on double chop silage without any supplements. Single chop would also fatten cattle. Harvesting 70 acres with a double chop could take up to a fortnight in a bad summer.

And precision chop wouldn't?

I remember doing it here 20 years ago, 10 acres of first cut a day, but at the time tractors was poor as were the trailers, with modern tractors and bigger trailers, you could do alot more.

Still better to wilt it, better intakes and fermentation, less effluent to deal with

And precision chop wouldn't?
    Wouldn't it? I only ever used single and double chop silage until I switched to bales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

used to do it ourselves... haf a jf fct 900 percision chop... a cmt 245 mower also a jf . had tm 125 on harvester and case 885 on mower.. had a 390 drawing in .. jcb 3cx on pit... team hardship Hated having to milk the cows and cover the bloody pit when wrecked

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it? I only ever used single and double chop silage until I switched to bales.

Of course it would, the feeding is in the grass. I took from your post that you didn't like precision chop, some people believe its the devil:rolleyes:

whelan1 wrote: »
    used to do it ourselves... haf a jf fct 900 percision chop... a cmt 245 mower also a jf . had tm 125 on harvester and case 885 on mower.. had a 390 drawing in .. jcb 3cx on pit... team hardship Hated having to milk the cows and cover the bloody pit when wrecked

It only suits farms with big extented families :) its ok when things go to plan but that rarely happens, we gave up 5 or 6 years ago, went bales, way more flexible.

It only suits farms with big extented families :) its ok when things go to plan but that rarely happens, we gave up 5 or 6 years ago, went bales, way more flexible.
    Yes bales are flexible. If only there wasn't so much damn plastic :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

use a double chop my self 15-20 acers a day all going to plan trouble is getting good help that wont break and smash and leave trailers an their side

Of course it would, the feeding is in the grass. I took from your post that you didn't like precision chop, some people believe its the devil:rolleyes:
    We never used percision chop but i hear lads saying that it runs through cows awful fast and they would be scoury ? Is this talk or is there any truth in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

my buddy has a 7740 with a super engine so he would do the picking up and me on the tl80 with buckrake on the loader and counter-weight on the back(got duals for her the other day)just buy one trailer(say15*8) and hire in tractor-trail er.we would all be drivin our own gear.we just cant get the idea out of our brains

keep going wrote: »
    my buddy has a 7740 with a super engine so he would do the picking up and me on the tl80 with buckrake on the loader and counter-weight on the back(got duals for her the other day)just buy one trailer(say15*8) and hire in tractor-trail er.we would all be drivin our own gear.we just cant get the idea out of our brains
    dont do it.... i love when the contractor comes in ... if theres a break, he has to deal with it:) hated when something went wrong , loads of grass on the ground and waiting on parts... paid labour standing around... at least the contractors are in and out... even if all the machinery is fine the weather is a bummer too , as it takes longer to do it than the contractor. Used to take us 5 days to do 100 acres

Id say give it a go . Sure if ye can pick up the machinery at a reasonable cost it can always be sold on again if it doesnt work out without losing much . Good luck

Doing these thing with neighbours can lead to trouble down the line, one of you will feel cheated, in bad weather with delays or when big repair bill start appearing.

Of course it could work out great, how many acres will ye be doing in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

moy83 wrote: »
    We never used percision chop but i hear lads saying that it runs through cows awful fast and they would be scoury ? Is this talk or is there any truth in it
    Our vet says it's solely responsible for all the twisted stomach operations he has to do these days (he had done 40 himself this year up to a month ago when he did mine). Said twas never a problem before precision chop and vets up the west in areas where its all bales still haven't seen one. Am seriously considering moving away from precision chop as a result

Our vet says it's solely responsible for all the twisted stomach operations he has to do these days (he had done 40 himself this year up to a month ago when he did mine). Said twas never a problem before precision chop and vets up the west in areas where its all bales still haven't seen one. Am seriously considering moving away from precision chop as a result

LDA have many causes, vets tent to give out any answer to please people, do a search and you'll see.

Overfat cows
    Cows with twins/hard calving
    Rapid increase/change in ration
    Ketotis, metritis, milk fever, retained cleanings etc leading to reduced intakes

never heard that one ... did you read it in the daily mirror:D only joking i am 100% happy with percision chop silage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

LDA have many causes, vets tent to give out any answer to please people, do a search and you'll see.

Overfat cows
    Cows with twins/hard calving
    Rapid increase/change in ration
    Ketotis, metritis, milk fever, retained cleanings etc leading to reduced intakes
    I know what you're saying and you're probably right, I have heard the ration explanation also. I don't usually believe every word he says, but the reason I took him at his word this time is because if it's not true, it's very easily disproved. If, for example, there are a load of people out there feeding bales that get the problem or if it was as prevalent pre precision chop.
    Anyway he gave an example of a fella who used to have him do 2 to 3 ops a year. He was with him a few months ago doing a washout or a calving or something and he commented to the farmer that how come he hasn't had an op in while and the farmer told him that he got rid of the pit and is now feeding all bales and hasn't had one since.

I know what you're saying and you're probably right, I have heard the ration explanation also. I don't usually believe every word he says, but the reason I took him at his word this time is because if it's not true, it's very easily disproved. If, for example, there are a load of people out there feeding bales that get the problem or if it was as prevalent pre precision chop.
    Anyway he gave an example of a fella who used to have him do 2 to 3 ops a year. He was with him a few months ago doing a washout or a calving or something and he commented to the farmer that how come he hasn't had an op in while and the farmer told him that he got rid of the pit and is now feeding all bales and hasn't had one since.

Its hard to say really as silage changes from year to year. Bales are usually drier and more palatable for a start which will mean more intake, alot of pit is cut with Big M etc will be low dm leading to reduced intake around calving. Many factors lead to LDA, hard to pin point, we never had one here.

we have always associated with early spring grass,there is a theory that its to do with gas production in digestion and that there isnt enough gas produced with early spring grass to help the stomachs settle after the calf moves out

• Advertisement

Doing these thing with neighbours can lead to trouble down the line, one of you will feel cheated, in bad weather with delays or when big repair bill start appearing.

Of course it could work out great, how many acres will ye be doing in total?

probily around 120.we share alot as it is and we have no probs fix each others gear.look we have the attitude that it costs alot more to have gear on our own.we both want to move away from big cuts to cutting maybe 15 or 20 at the time,stagger ground coming in and out and you could always put in a couple acres gone strong and not have bales.also we feel you would cut better quality. how goods are these nc they seem to be top dog

probily around 120.we share alot as it is and we have no probs fix each others gear.look we have the attitude that it costs alot more to have gear on our own.we both want to move away from big cuts to cutting maybe 15 or 20 at the time,stagger ground coming in and out and you could always put in a couple acres gone strong and not have bales.also we feel you would cut better quality. how goods are these nc they seem to be top dog

If there other stuff is anything to go by it should be good, mostly Kidd, Taarup and New Holland here, they're old now tho, Elho are still making them too. How about a trailed percision chop like JF900, Taarup 602, Mex 6, more output

Have ye considered a wagon, alot on Donedeal at the moment, less labour needed.

nc good machine much the same as a single chop nearly trouble free but dont think 7740 would be big enough to get the most out of the machine 130hp+ i recon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

god this bring back memories-weve been doing our own for the last forthy years(before i was born) 4 farms-all family- i remember we used to have a newholland double chop pulled by a fiat 990- another 990 on the pit-a 680orange fiat and a davey browne 1212 ferrying in the grass
    then we got sophisticated with precision chop-new holland 525 harvester pulled by a 2wd fiat 110-90 a 4wd 90-90 fiat on the pit, a 2wd 90-90 mowing with a jf245 cmt mower- a davey12-12 and ford 6600 ferrying in

now weve a jf900 harvester pulled by a new holland tm125- a kuhn 302 mower, a nh ts115a on the pit a tm 120 a ts 115 tl90 and a 2wd tl90a- four ruscon trailers-can do 40 acres a day

this year i decided to get a contractor- it was 1oclock in the afternoon and rain forecast for that night- had the pit covered by 9 that evening and it hasnt stop raining since:D good call but an expensive one

had a family outing this evening and mentioned this to the brotherinlaws.they reckon they are going to buy a handy tractor and will draw it for the diesel as long as we cut on a saturday,just for the fun of it.they all used to draw silage in their youth and are mad for it.dont think they have run it by their wives yet:D.beginning to think we could do stag weekends and corporate team building events.thanks for info by the way

any tips on how to increase throughput of a single chop picking up swaths

any tips on how to increase throughput of a single chop picking up swaths

more oomph:cool:

What size mower will you use? Enough trailers is important for throughput, keep the harvester going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

We used to give the cousin a hand back ing the day
    36" Gyro puled by a leyland 262
    Our Nuffield 4/65 drawing in and a Ford 76 4wd on the pit
    2 12 foot trailers.
    10 acres would be a fair good day
    The first round of the field or opening a set was a fairly depressing sight :)

more oomph:cool:

What size mower will you use? Enough trailers is important for throughput, keep the harvester going.
    8ft thinking of going with 14 to 16 ft trailers. they seem to be going right at the mo as contractors have moved up to 18 and 20 and farmers move to wagon.considering double chop but worried big trailers would pull it all over the place on hilly ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

we used a 2130 jd single chop tarrup two 10 ft trailers ford 5000 with bucrake and unversal 445 drawing in moved on then mid 80 s to 7600 with double chop tarrup 12 ft and 13ft trailers and a62 in the pit finished last year with 8210 with same double chop 16ft trailers and L120c volvo in pit

bales now with no drama.........miss it 20 acres a day and loads of tea....

jerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

red menace wrote: »
    We used to give the cousin a hand back ing the day
    36" Gyro puled by a leyland 262
    Our Nuffield 4/65 drawing in and a Ford 76 4wd on the pit
    2 12 foot trailers.
    10 acres would be a fair good day
    The first round of the field or opening a set was a fairly depressing sight :)

Jesus a 36" cut would definitely be a depressing sight alright. 10 acres a day would be very good going i'd say with such a small cut!
    jerdee wrote: »
    we used a 2130 jd single chop tarrup two 10 ft trailers ford 5000 with bucrake and unversal 445 drawing in moved on then mid 80 s to 7600 with double chop tarrup 12 ft and 13ft trailers and a62 in the pit finished last year with 8210 with same double chop 16ft trailers and L120c volvo in pit

bales now with no drama.........miss it 20 acres a day and loads of tea....

jerry

No doubt about it, bales are very handy and offer a lot of advantages, .... BUT making pit silage the old way and all the inevitable drama it brought was hugely enjoyable :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Jesus a 36" cut would definitely be a depressing sight alright. 10 acres a day would be very good going i'd say with such a small cut!

No doubt about it, bales are very handy and offer a lot of advantages, .... BUT making pit silage the old way and all the inevitable drama it brought was hugely enjoyable :D:D:D

Aye, with single-wheel trailers turning over, tractors getting air-locked on the pit, pumps running out of oil for tipping, hoses breaking, PTO shafts splitting, gear boxes overheating, sometimes the push-off on the buckrake didn't work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

don t forget the trailers coming off the tractors,switching drivers at the dinner hour,universal joints breaking belts off harvester after ten mins going in morning at six.remember when young my legs were not strong enough to press brakes so i could only do certain fields never mind being twelve.....icon10.gif

jerdee wrote: »
    don t forget the trailers coming off the tractors,switching drivers at the dinner hour,universal joints breaking belts off harvester after ten mins going in morning at six.remember when young my legs were not strong enough to press brakes so i could only do certain fields never mind being twelve.....icon10.gif
    we had a lad in helping us and he decided to splatter one of the lads drawing in the silage with the molasses as it was coming out of the tanker.... there was molasses everywhere for a long time:cool: also the clutch went on our brand new tm 125 after 12 hours while picking up silage

the clutch went on our brand new tm 125 after 12 hours while picking up silage

hope north east farm mach had a good warranty service:D

• Advertisement

yup they got a severe bollocking... factory got in trouble too , nuts hadnt been tightened on the pressure plate:) then got it back and a pipe busted underneath the tractor - happy days... in all fairness we have the tractor now 11 years and its been very reliable since - touch wood

yup they got a severe bollocking... factory got in trouble too , nuts hadnt been tightened on the pressure plate:) then got it back and a pipe busted underneath the tractor - happy days... in all fairness we have the tractor now 11 years and its been very reliable since - touch wood

weve a 125classic in the group new in 01-reliable work house-

who services them for you now

stanflt wrote: »
    weve a 125classic in the group new in 01-reliable work house-

who services them for you now
    i'd tell but i'd have to kill ya first:D armstrong machinery , dh brings it up on lorry or they come down

8ft thinking of going with 14 to 16 ft trailers. they seem to be going right at the mo as contractors have moved up to 18 and 20 and farmers move to wagon.considering double chop but worried big trailers would pull it all over the place on hilly ground
    never used any bigger than 12x7 trailers in wet weather they would pull the double chop an hilly ground also bigger trailers were known to crack the axel of double chops very hard to get them right after that

i'd tell but i'd have to kill ya first:D armstrong machinery , dh brings it up on lorry or they come down

good to see your supporting the cause-

• Advertisement

good to see your supporting the cause-
    its not very often... the case tractor thats a different story :(

its not very often... the case tractor thats a different story :(

i had a case 4230 with loader for about 2years-only reason i bought it was my old db1212 blew up on christmas eve and it was the only tractor and loader combo i could get-the cousins wouldnt have one for a week- prob spent as much money servicing it as i bought it for. will never buy of someone who isnt local again- bought it off maher in dunshaughlin-he said there was six month warranty with it- the drive shaft from theengine broke after 6weeks and he wouldnt cover it

silage today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

silage today

Nice setup ;) Contractor or your own gear?

Loader on the pit?

Muckit wrote: »
    Nice setup ;) Contractor or your own gear?

Loader on the pit?

our own outfit- theres a pick of the loader on a farm chit chat tread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

saw it in the farmers journal the last day somewhere up tuam side they are doing a world record for vintage single chop silage harvesters cutting together on the 31st of july at their vintage show, wouldnt mind going for a look anyways id say it will be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

And he is basing this on....... sounds like a great answer though!!!!
    caused by multiple factors and to put it in context the modern cow/system is somewhat different than 20 years ago
    i have a friend that swears by single chop silage or bales over percision chop 'put a bale in front of the cows and they will leave that othe r sh#te behind' so i put a armful of straw in front of his (eating these great silage bales) one day .... guerss what they all started eating the straw, full of notions!!! better stop if i mention straw too much the TMR diet feeders will start!!!
    to the origional question, dont waste your time with either a single or double chop there just too slow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

i found out a bit more about the show doing the single chop harvesting, its this club : dunmorevintage.com
    they doing a world record for the most yolks cutting together at a vintage show they have, its in the irish vintage scene this month id say it should be worth a look, anyways im going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Not going to be able to make it down to see it unfortunately. Take plenty of pictures and schtick them up for us!

country crest

• Advertisement
Advertisement