Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson Router Wireless speed issue

• 15-05-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

I got my 50Mb installed this afternoon and if I use a wired connection I'm getting 49.15 down and 4.99 up. On wireless though I'm only getting about 22/23 down and 4.87 up

My laptop is n -enabled, I was recently at a friend's place and was connecting wirelessly to their router at 74Mb with no effort.

It would appear that the new router is only broadcasting at 802.11g speed (54Mb) although the router appears to be set for n.

The settings are as follows:

802.11 Band 2.4Ghz
    802.11 n-mode Auto
    Bandwidth 20Mhz

Am I missing a trick for getting the most out of n?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you any g devices connected to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

IN the same boat, called UPC and they said my service is in the middle of being provisioned and at this stage it will be Monday before it will be set for the 50mb.

JUST to ask did the courier try to take away your old equipment. They did with me but then i was told that i didn't have to as the equipment was mine

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I was having the same trouble myself and then read this post , I got rid of the slower devices from the wireless network and the wirless speed is now over 50Mb ( on 100Mb here ).

When the slower devices where connecting to the router , the wireless connection status was showing 54.0Mbps , resulting in a download speed around 20Mb.

picture.php?albumid=1709&pictureid=9493

With the slower devices off the wireless network, the wireless connection status shows a speed off 65.0Mbps, resulting in a download speed of over 50Mb.

picture.php?albumid=1709&pictureid=9494

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

BUMP! :pac:

Just got UPC Internet's here and having the same issue, getting around the 50mbps mark wired but all 4 wireless laptops are getting limited to 20mbps.

all 4 laptops are b/g certified and should be capable of 54mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BUMP! :pac:

Just got UPC Internet's here and having the same issue, getting around the 50mbps mark wired but all 4 wireless laptops are getting limited to 20mbps.

all 4 laptops are b/g certified and should be capable of 54mbps

20mbs is about right for 801.11g. 54mbs is a theoretical limit, actual through put is only around 20mbs. Shared between all devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

54MBps is the maximum data throughput of the link. This includes all the signalling data, error correction etc assoicated with maintaining data throughput.
    The actual user data throughput is about 40% of the physical layer throughput of 54MBps. So 802.11g gets about 22MBps over the wireless.
    If you want to use 50MBps of the broadband connection you need to either plug directly into the modem or take all 802.11g devices off the network and connect using 802.11n only.
    The wireless network operates at the speed of the slowest device connected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

brownej wrote: »
    54MBps is the maximum data throughput of the link. This includes all the signalling data, error correction etc assoicated with maintaining data throughput.
    The actual user data throughput is about 40% of the physical layer throughput of 54MBps. So 802.11g gets about 22MBps over the wireless.
    If you want to use 50MBps of the broadband connection you need to either plug directly into the modem or take all 802.11g devices off the network and connect using 802.11n only.
    The wireless network operates at the speed of the slowest device connected to it.
    You are spot on with the 22MBPS download as a max on b/g wireless. However, i see 50mg on a dell with a wireless n upgrade card at the same time as another dell lappy with b/g card is conncted and downloading at 20mg so it would appear that the speeds are not restricted by the slower devices :confused:

Advertisement