Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head of the IMF arrested on sexual assault charges.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    Yanks were probably not impressed that the IMF came out last week and stated that China would over take the US by 2016 as the worlds largest economy ;) , Sarko is probably falling over in his platform shoes laughing

Honestly, China can take on that burden, especially if that means there will now be "Stupid things Chinese tourists say" or "Would you rather speak Chinese English or Anglo English" threads to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Honestly, China can take on that burden, especially if that means there will now be "Stupid things Chinese tourists say" or "Would you rather speak Chinese English or Anglo English" threads to go along with it.

Yeah your right, and Dublin will be full of Chinese tourists in Aran jumpers, green trousers and flat caps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Yeah your right, and Dublin will be full of Chinese tourists in Aran jumpers, green trousers and flat caps :D

Wearing their authentic Leinster jerseys made in China!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

...don't forget they have to claim to be Irish as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

If we're going to laugh at stereotypes, get it right, it's alan jumpers, gleen trousers and frat caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Crosáidí wrote: »
    He will get off the charge because he is rich & powerful even if he did do it, simple as

I actually disagree. He was off that plane quick smart!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

.what was the head of the IMF up to?

drilling for new treasure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Saila wrote: »
    drilling for new treasure
    He might have been going for gold but there is a good chance he will get bars!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 TheBucks

Biggins wrote: »
    He might have been going for gold but there is a good chance he will get bars!

deservedly so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

TheBucks wrote: »
    deservedly so
    Dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

innocent until proven guilty as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,782 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

He was merely providing a much needed injection of liquidity.

It's what the IMF do.

best one yet. well played sir!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dominique Strauss-Kahn to face fresh sex assault complaint

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/16/dominique-strauss-khan-tristane-banon

Another popping up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Well it doesn't look like he's going to get bail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Did he try to show her his bailout package? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Urgh, what a filthy creep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Keith186

News reports now stating that the IMF are putting together a $500 billion rescue fund for his bail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Yanks really know how to do it. Dragged off the plane and literately dragged straight to court not giving a fcuk who or what he is. Wish we had a justice system like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Looks like the trial is about to collapse due to serious doubts from prosecutors over the credibility of the maid..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13986970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Yup... according to NY Time's the charges could dropped later this morning.
    So he's out of the top job at the IMF, and the publicity makes it unlikely he will run for the French presidency. Got to give it to you Sarkozy, your good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Another excellent example of why people shouldn't jump to conclusions and how mud sticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Another excellent example of why people shouldn't jump to conclusions and how mud sticks

Not that any of the people here who were so quick to decide he was guilty will ever admit they were wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I presumed he was guilty i have to admit..i was shocked when i read the irish times article this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Yanks really know how to do it. Dragged off the plane and literately dragged straight to court not giving a fcuk who or what he is. Wish we had a justice system like that.
    Woops. They have completely destroyed this mans career and reputation with their cowboy antics and seemingly didnt even do a background check on this woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not that any of the people here who were so quick to decide he was guilty will ever admit they were wrong.

Very true and it's disgraceful. I'd expressed my doubt to friends and seen the shock on their faces, while a lot of people that I respect (HBO's Bill Maher) also jumped to conclusions. It's disgusting to see too that The Sun have no mention of today's news on their website, after they were so vigorous in vilifying him before.

With this and the Louis Walsh news I doubt anyone will believe a sexual assault claim against a high profile figure again, immaterial of the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

The sexual assault case against former International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn is nearing collapse, the New York Times has reported.
    The 62-year-old may now be freed from house arrest as soon as today, the paper said.
    A source familiar with the case said the credibility of the maid who accused him has come into question.
    'The credibility is in question,' the source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.
    Mr Strauss-Kahn was a leading candidate for the French presidency when he was arrested on 14 May.
    The New York Times said prosecutors had met Mr Strauss-Kahn's lawyers and the parties were discussing whether to dismiss the charges.
    Mr Strauss-Kahn's lawyer Benjamin Brafman said yesterday that his client would go back to court in New York today to seek changes to his bail conditions.
    'Indeed, Mr Strauss-Kahn could be released on his own recognisance, and freed from house arrest, reflecting the likelihood that the serious criminal charges against him will not be sustained,' the paper said.
    'The district attorney's office may try to require Mr Strauss-Kahn to plead guilty to a misdemeanour, but his lawyers are likely to contest such a move.'
    Mr Strauss-Kahn resigned from the IMF on 19 May and pleaded not guilty on 6 June, vehemently denying the allegations. He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
    The New York Times quoted what it said were two well-placed law enforcement officials as saying that although forensic evidence showed there had been a sexual encounter between the French politician and the maid, the accuser had repeatedly lied.
    It said that prosecutors had discovered issues involving the asylum application of the 32-year-old housekeeper, who is Guinean, and possible links to criminal activities, including drug dealing and money laundering.
    The paper added that prosecutors' investigators had discovered the woman had had a phone conversation with an incarcerated man within a day of her encounter with Mr Strauss-Kahn in which she discussed the possible benefits of pursuing the charges against him. The conversation was recorded.
    It added that the man, who had been arrested on charges of possessing 180kg of marijuana, was among a number of individuals who had made multiple cash deposits, totalling around $100,000, into the woman's bank account over the last two years.
    From the start, the case hinged on the purported victim - a Guinean immigrant and hotel maid who cleaned the $3,000-a-night suite at the Sofitel hotel.
    Prosecutors presented her case before a grand jury, confident in the women's story that Mr Strauss-Kahn sprang naked from the bathroom, chased her down the hall and tried to force her to perform oral sex on him. He was indicted.
    Now 'prosecutors do not believe much of what the accuser has told them about the circumstances or about herself,' the paper reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Woops. They have completely destroyed this mans career and reputation with their cowboy antics and seemingly didnt even do a background check on this woman.

Similar will come out about the two women involved in the Julian Assange case also no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As Bill Clinton said '' I did not ....have sex ...with that womon '' .

Well Bill ,you did but it was consensual .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

As is this thread. See above :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No Kahn do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Obvious set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

He still tried to rattle her though either way!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

How will the maid in question be prosecuted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

amjon. wrote: »
    How will the maid in question be prosecuted?

She probably won't be. I doubt they're going to be able to show that she made false allegations against DSK.

The whole thing will likely just be dropped due to lack of evidence or discrepancies in her statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

She probably won't be. I doubt they're going to be able to show that she made false allegations against DSK.

The whole thing will likely just be dropped due to lack of evidence or discrepancies in her statements.

Her asylum application is apprently also up for debate - send her back to Guinea?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

IF it turns out that she lied about the whole thing, she should be prosecuted and face the same kind of prison sentence convicted rapists get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

If you read the new york times article you will see that her story was full of holes and the conclusion is now that the sex was consensual. At the time it did seem quite strange, for example she claimed she was forced to perform oral sex even though he was unarmed and she had teeth.

Now today the militant feminists are'nt admitting they were wrong rather they are saying this as the reason why women don’t report rape, and continue to get raped, and raped their rape rape rape, when in fact by condeming him in the first place and by putting pressure on law enforcement to make arrests without cause in rape cases they are making it harder for rape convictions to occur.

progress.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

If you read the new york times article you will see that her story was full of holes and the conclusion is now that the sex was consensual. At the time it did seem quite strange, for example she claimed she was forced to perform oral sex even though he was unarmed and she had teeth.

Now today the militant feminists are'nt admitting they were wrong rather they are saying this as the reason why women don’t report rape, and continue to get raped, and raped their rape rape rape, when in fact by condeming him in the first place and by putting pressure on law enforcement to make arrests without cause in rape cases they are making it harder for rape convictions to occur.

Is there a prize for how many times you can say "rape" in the same sentence?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Biggins wrote: »
    Fcuk him - His and his mate Sarkosy (who supports him) are two sides of the same coin.
    Out to screw others if they like it or not, for their own gain and pleasure.

I hope the bollocks get a good jail term.
    This is why it is wrong to pre-judge, or proclaim guilt without giving heed to due process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

later10 wrote: »
    This is why it is wrong to pre-judge, or proclaim guilt without giving heed to due process.

It's also something I loathe about the American justice system's relationship with the media. The "perp-walk" and the release of reams of information before charges are even brought I often wonder how they kind find a non-prejudiced jury.

Add the political circumstances and I'm amazed anyone jumped to the "guilty" conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

amacachi wrote: »
    It's also something I loathe about the American justice system's relationship with the media. The "perp-walk" and the release of reams of information before charges are even brought I often wonder how they kind find a non-prejudiced jury.

Add the political circumstances and I'm amazed anyone jumped to the "guilty" conclusion.

And the outcome? Any idea?

Spread wrote: »
    And the outcome? Any idea?

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I think this is the biggest issue here. The bar for pressing charges is relatively low - they only need enough evidence to reasonably believe that something has happened - so they should not release the names of the accuser or the accused until the case actually goes to trial or until the trial is over. This would help to protect both victims and the falsely accused.

Of course, these cases get even more complicated (and the media frenzy is even bigger) where there is a race, class, or power dynamic between the accuser and the accused; the Duke Lacrosse case is a perfect example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The perp walk is one thing that so many Irish people have been calling for since the beginning of the Irish banking crisis, so I am afraid you are possibly in the minority.

The perp walk is one thing that so many Irish people have been calling for since the beginning of the Irish banking crisis, so I am afraid you are possibly in the minority.
    Couldn't care less tbh, it adds nothing to the justice process and just adds to the media BS that surrounds most cases where it's "worth" using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think most would have been happy with knowing that a perp had been walked.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I think this is the biggest issue here. The bar for pressing charges is relatively low - they only need enough evidence to reasonably believe that something has happened - so they should not release the names of the accuser or the accused until the case actually goes to trial or until the trial is over. This would help to protect both victims and the falsely accused.

Of course, these cases get even more complicated (and the media frenzy is even bigger) where there is a race, class, or power dynamic between the accuser and the accused; the Duke Lacrosse case is a perfect example.

Hey southsiderosie! Any update on how the lawsuits by the students against the various bodies went?

• Advertisement
Advertisement