Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Poem for Craguls

Options
  • 15-05-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

You want to be an Immunologist,
    And I do feel that of that subject you have the jist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

That was so profound A Neurotic. How long did it take you? Thoroughly enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Tough competition for IO's place as resident poet.
    He doesn't stand a chance at re-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Will gain 2 points if Immunology is changed to ImmunLOLogy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Tough competition for IO's place as resident poet.
    He doesn't stand a chance at re-election.

I'm open to new challenges. :cool:

Also, I've missed Craguls. It is most good to see him post here again. A Neurotic too! You guys rock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm open to new challenges. :cool:

Your poem just can't compare to the epics that you have been challenged with tbh.

I particularly like the minimalism shown in this one.
    A Neurotic proves that a few well-chosen words can mirror the greatness of any work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    You want to be an Immunologist,
    And I do feel that of that subject you have the jist.
    The brevity of the poem is an irony to the long and successful career Craguls will have as an immunologist, yet it also makes it seem like a short, almost "photograph" of this point in time as Craguls makes this crucial decision.

The poem is in a similiar shape to a well-known antigen, of course, which Craguls shall be studying intently in his quest to learn more about the body's defense systems.

Truly brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Not to mention the way A Neurotic cleverly aligns the aforementioned field of science with Craguls's aptitude for learning, showing us that he has not developed an immunity to new ideas and challenging concepts.

The poem's almost microscopic brevity conveys a scientific aspect to the reader not all that different from in vivo research, a deliberate acknowledgement by the poet of a key part of immunologic study: it is a vignette of a live, isolated cell, as opposed to a study of the larger organism.

Pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You people should all study English, you're all much better at finding "meaning" in everything than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Good read.

could be shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The rhyming of "gist" and "jist" was a work of genius, I must say. In a postmodern apocalyptic world, alien overlords will read this two-line extravaganza and weep at the beauty that mankind was once capable of producing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm not very good with subtext but does anybody else get the feeling this poem is awfully tough on the Dutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm not very good with subtext but does anybody else get the feeling this poem is awfully tough on the Dutch?

I think the French came out worse tbh, poor bástards :(

Advertisement