Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick during the exams?

• 15-05-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I'm sick right now and kind of wondering about what happens if someone is sick during the exams. Are you just meant to grin and bear it? Or is there some allowance made? What happens if you're contagious and you have to sit your exams but can't infect everyone else in the exam hall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You'll have to grin and bear it or repeat. You can't postpone a written paper for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Grin and bear it is all you can do really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends what 'sick' is.

A runny nose, no special arrangements.
    An infectious disease, you would be given a centre on your own.

If you were in hospital for a minor operation, or the birth of a child, a supervisor will be sent to the hospital and arrangements made in there.

If you were very sick, I doubt the Leaving would/should be on your list of priorities.

The SEC and the Department before them have been running exams for years. There's very little they haven't come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I know someone who sat the Leaving Cert from the hospital after a car crash.

I've been looking into stuff because I suffer from severe Chronic Migraine so the exams will be absolute hell for me. You can get things like your own room, permission to leave for air, a tape recorder if you're unable to write, time on at the end, and I think in some cases you can start the exam just a small bit later.

You can't sit in on a later date under any circumstances, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

i think if you get sick the morning of an exam, as in if you're throwing up you can wait in the principal's office until you are feeling better and able to sit the exam. they may even let you sit the exam alone if there are enough invigilators in the school, but i think you must have started the exam before the others are allowed to leave their exam centre. the time you missed is added on, i think! basically drag yourself in if you have to!

• Advertisement
Advertisement