Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking of becoming a Scientologist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Na na na na na Na na na LEADER

I for one, welcome our Church of Scientology overlords, especially the ones from Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bnt wrote: »
    South Park can lampoon Scientology with impunity, but you won't see even the slightest oblique reference to them on The Simpsons, because Bart would lose his voice. Nancy Cartwright is a long-standing Scientologist, and is currently campaigning for her Scientology-inspired book to be used in Illinois schools. The book, called "Good Choices", is about building "character" in students, but she denies it's an attempt to teach Scientology in schools:

We know how Scientology operates, including the way Hubbard considered it entirely legitimate to cheat and lie to non-Scientologists, as long as it furthers the aims of Scientology. This is how they get things done - but it looks like it's not going to work in this case, thankfully. :rolleyes:

the Leader episode is one massive dig at cults and scientology, although its years old so I'm not sure if Cartright was one back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mconigol wrote: »
    What???
    He's a fcuking loon, a space cadet without a brain and spaceship.
    Pay Cruise no heed. Thankfully more and more people are learning he's off his rocker and subsequently not willing to give up their hard earned money just so that he can give it away to bigger nutjobs, murders and robbers.

Biggins wrote: »
    Pay Cruise no heed. Thankfully more and more people are learning he's off his rocker and subsequently not willing to give up their hard earned money just so that he can give it away to bigger nutjobs, murders and robbers.

Oh....I gathered that much!

Feel sorry for his poor wife and kid though.

• Advertisement

Oh....I gathered that much!

Feel sorry for his poor wife and kid though.
    Yea, everywhere they go, there is Scientology 'minders' two steps behind them!

That's nice. Looking out for their own like that. Maybe I've misjudged them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

ah you're stalking has run into a brick wall eh? look at it as a challenge though, chin up my man!

Saila wrote: »
    ah you're stalking has run into a brick wall eh? look at it as a challenge though, chin up my man!
    I know.
    I'm trying to catch up with them, to hit them with a bottle of "Kop the fcuk on!" but they escape my clutches every time. :o

That's nice. Looking out for their own like that. Maybe I've misjudged them?
    No, you haven't.

• Advertisement

No, you haven't.

I don't know. It would be nice to have a minder.

I get so lonely sometimes.

......wait that's how it starts isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and yet I still like him as an actor, and people rarely have a bad word to say about him regarding his behaviour on set, always professional and approachable apparently, mad beliefs aside, its kinda hard to accept famous people you like are kinda crazy, like Mel Gibson, great charm, huge charisma, good actor, mental case.

krudler wrote: »
    and yet I still like him as an actor, and people rarely have a bad word to say about him regarding his behaviour on set, always professional and approachable apparently, mad beliefs aside, its kinda hard to accept famous people you like are kinda crazy, like Mel Gibson, great charm, huge charisma, good actor, mental case.
    Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot (to mention just three) were also nice people too supposedly up close and at times.
    While the above are in a complete different league as regards their activities, pleasant personality does not mean they are 'solid blokes'.
    It just sadly means they are good at window-dressing their oft times nutty ideas and ideologies behind an cover appearance of nice normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

krudler wrote: »
    the Leader episode is one massive dig at cults and scientology, although its years old so I'm not sure if Cartright was one back then
    I forgot about that one, though I have seen it. After a little more reading I get the impression that the cults it references are more explicitly "cults" e.g. Jim Jones' outfit. Nancy Cartwright has been a Scientologist since about 1989 (I read), but I doubt she thinks she's in a cult, so I guess she wouldn't see much in that episode to offend her directly. :rolleyes:

According to the author of The Gospel According to the Simpsons (referenced here) another episode was going to spoof Scientology more directly, but it got vetoed, and Matt Groening went on to have a go at them in Futurama (with the "Church of Robotology")

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

bnt wrote: »
    South Park can lampoon Scientology with impunity, but you won't see even the slightest oblique reference to them on The Simpsons, because Bart would lose his voice

Well,south park did loose voice actor of chef who was a scientolgist,simpsons should end for its own sake its so awful now,i felt sorry for the bbc reporter who tried to cover it,9.28 he looses his temper finally-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Typical Scientologist Recruiter: "Did you know that according to Einstein that we only use 10% of our brains?"

Reply: "Yes, and if only 1% of mine worked I'd still know to keep away from you guys."

Typical Scientologist Recruiter: "Would you like a free personality test?"

Reply: "It's already clean."

Typical Scientologist Recruiter: "Pardon?"

Reply: "My brain; so I don't need it washed by you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Ara sure, They're a great bunch of lads all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Now I am normally one to respect the beliefs of others. As who the hell am I to say otherwise...

However, with facts things change. Scientology was founded by a science fiction writer who was once arrested for fraud. Religion and fraud seem to be two words that match together in the current world we live in.

But to dig deeper into their beliefs about aliens and "our souls" I can without a doubt say this "religion" is a cult. Nothing more, nothing less. Albeit a powerful cult you'll sue you for anything negitive you say against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Now I am normally one to respect the beliefs of others. As who the hell am I to say otherwise...

However, with facts things change. Scientology was founded by a science fiction writer who was once arrested for fraud. Religion and fraud seem to be two words that match together in the current world we live in.

But to dig deeper into their beliefs about aliens and "our souls" I can without a doubt say this "religion" is a cult. Nothing more, nothing less. Albeit a powerful cult you'll sue you for anything negitive you say against them.

The only real difference between scientology and most other religions is it's new and people can see that the people who started it are scammers/idiots/both.

They're all cults IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The only real difference between scientology and most other religions is it's new and people can see that the people who started it are scammers/idiots/both.

They're all cults IMO.

Thats the thing.
    Because its new anyone with any sense can see through it.
    As for "established" religions... well, who am I or anyone else to dispute someone elses beliefs. Even if the same logic can be applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

probably not the place to post it, but thought this was very interesting:
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all

It's Paul Haggis's (Writer/Director - crash, the next three days, million dollar baby etc) account of his time as a Scientologist.
    It gives the reasons people are attracted to it, as well as the bad stuff everybody hears about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Im going to start my own religion now, bolloxology it will be called just so you know what you're getting up front

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I could point out stuff in their sacred writings, but they use copyright and lawyers.

The circuit diagrams of the meter things have been posted on the interweb

As that crap about using x% of your brain, biologically speaking our brain is expensive to run it's actually a burden that evolution would select against unless it conveyed some survival advantage.

Strange that in the last 500,000,000 years no creature has been able to fully utilise their brains OR it's only humans that can't

Have a look at the Selfosophy episode of Millenium too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

You're glib OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'd actually love to see a religious debate between the church of Scientology and Westboro Baptist Church. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You're glib OP.

glib = showing little forethought or preparation

If you read my original post and thought I was serious then you are the glib one.

Advertisement