Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Car Phone Warehouse - Lifeline insurance AVOID

Options
  • 15-05-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this is the correct forum please move as you see fit.

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Car Phone Warehouse and their Lifeline insurance. I Bought a HTC phone off them and was sold insurance from Lifeline. I was told this was superior to O2 insurance etc as they get you a replacement phone really quickly and without fuss. Happy days 13 euro a month and off I go.

So recently my house was broken into, my wallet, phone and car taken. After dealing with the guards that day I went to the carphone warehouse to get a new phone. They gave me a old phone as a temporary measure and the form to fill in and a new sim.

A few days later I was filling in the form and noticed I should have told my network provider the phone was taken...whops I rang them straight away. The guards had asked me to not block the phone incase it popped up as I had the tracking set up on it (sim changed in the CPW that day). I explained the circumstances that I was pretty busy the day the phone was lost, to Lifeline as asked they consider replacement of my phone.

So basically they are now refusing to pay out due to the fact I should have informed o2 within 24 hours. I had been in to the CPW within 24hours and informed the insurance company. What this has to do with them I don't know, my claim is valid which they admit this in a letter however they refuse to pay on this technical point, which I feel is a land-mine placed in the contract to avoid paying. God knows how many others there are in the contract.

So when you need them Lifeline will not cover you and will find any way not to pay. Don't bother with their insurance its not worth it. Sorry to rant but really this is not on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sounds like a pain - I can't see what difference it makes to them whether you informed O2 or not - they insured the handset, which was stolen. Your dealings with your network are your own business!

Take them to SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

thanks for the heads up, i took out the insurance two weeks sgo, c p w said it was the best and cheapest around, 13 yo yos for my iphone 4, i then found out 3 do it themselves for 8.99 a month, i will be changing monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It states on the Lifeline website here

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/content/Lifeline-Insurance-Policy-Details/497
    If the phone has been stolen or has been lost the customer will need to contact their service provider and have your phone Barred and Blacklisted (see section titled ‘Bar and Blacklist) within 24 hours of the theft or loss occurring.

You didn't do this so they are entitled to not pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Wait til you try to cancel the insurance. Then you'll really love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

penexpers wrote: »
    It states on the Lifeline website here

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/content/Lifeline-Insurance-Policy-Details/497

You didn't do this so they are entitled to not pay out.

Wow thank for that, I think I know that now, but couldnt seem to remember section 5.1.1 during the hunt for my stolen car, consoling my wife and child, canceling 6 bank card, getting locks changed, talking to guards and the technical branch, canceling work, ringing the house insurance and car insurance. I also was in CPW and told them that day.

I know that clause is there, but its the fact thats its there or that they don't take circumstances into consideration that bothers me. Insurance is there to protect me when things like this happen, not to trip me up on technical points. It seems that the premiums I paid were for nothing.

• Advertisement

I still wouldn't take no for an answer, and I'd pursue it in SCC on principle alone. That technicality won't stop a payout in your favour if you go to court. It's irrelevant to the claim. T&C aren't worth sh*t if a judge deems them irrelevant. You paid to insure your handset - your handset was stolen - you need to be paid for it. All other bullsh*t is irrelevant. I guarantee it won't even go to court - they'll pay out as soon as you a) threaten it, or b) file the SCC form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

sorry to hear that. scc is worth the effort. thinking of cancelling mine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CarphoneIE: Fiona

fitzgeme, I have sent you a direct message. Thanks, Fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Bens wrote: »
    Wait til you try to cancel the insurance. Then you'll really love them.

+1

I tried to cancel insurance 3 times by calling into the Galway branch.

I was told the first time that their system was down but they would do it in the afternoon, when it came back up. They didn't cancel or let me know.

I called in the following month and was told that the manager was on lunch so they couldn't do it. They took my number so that the manager could call me back. They didn't call. I called back the following day and they took my details and promised to cancel. They didn't.

I called in the following month and they told me that they would do it again. I stupidly took their word.

It took a year to get it sorted. I will never take insurance out with Carphone Warehouse again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wow thank for that, I think I know that now, but couldnt seem to remember section 5.1.1 during the hunt for my stolen car, consoling my wife and child, canceling 6 bank card, getting locks changed, talking to guards and the technical branch, canceling work, ringing the house insurance and car insurance. I also was in CPW and told them that day.

I know that clause is there, but its the fact thats its there or that they don't take circumstances into consideration that bothers me. Insurance is there to protect me when things like this happen, not to trip me up on technical points. It seems that the premiums I paid were for nothing.

would it be covered under your home insurance?

• Advertisement

Thank you for trying to help Fiona, however It has been three weeks since I had my phone stolen and I had received two written letters (from this same head of insurance) from CPW/Lifeline. One declining my claim and the other declining my appeal so I took it that that was it, I have since replaced my phone at full cost to me as I had no upgrade available.

I got an email from this same head honcho of lifeline this morning around 11am and since I posted on boards.ie my claim had miraculously been deemed as not declined but pending :confused: so long as I can get the guards to verify that I am telling the truth. I suggest you look at the sticky at the top of the motors forum for that. :(

Anyway I find it unfair that because I shout I get around your rules, if your rules were fair or your systems and proceedures to paying customers understanding and personal there would be no issues and you would be justified in standing by them. I post to warn others, not for personal gain, I would only make a complaint public once I have given you reasonable chance to respond which I did twice.

If you still wish to refund me my phone please place it directly in the Jack and Jill box.

He shouldn't have to complain on here & make his issue public to get your attention. At least be consistent - this is worse than not responding IMO. It's essentially an admission of guilt that Lifeline "suddenly" decided his claim is now "pending", despite 2 previous refusal letters. Why has his claim status suddenly changed? Oh yeah - because of some bad PR. What about all the phone calls he made beforehand pleading his legit case? Why does he have to start this thread to get what he paid for in the first place?

At least stick to your guns and refuse his claim if you genuinely believe in your T&C. You're undermining yourselves!

Pathetic, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

You think you had it bad, I did all that was asked, called into the store, called the network, contacted the guards, I answered one Question wrong, they asked me had I any previous claims and I said no when I actually had. they declined me based on this and this alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

disgraceful, thanks for the headsup, will be avoiding this insurance in future

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Your company is a disgrace. I hate these companies that try and fix things only when they are made public on messageboards. Basically it shows you are scam merchants as you know you the person is due a refund/insurance/etc... but you are only paying up for PR purposes.

We're not morons, we all know for every one person posting the problem here there are probably fifty more who dont think to post here and get done by your company.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It would be an interesting thing to see the stats for the percentage of claims which are declined in this way. Very sneaky practices there by Lifeline, and as has been said, worse to backtrack when it gets publicised. I dont pay phone insurance for this reason. I reckon over a year Id have paid for a new phone, anyway, so I take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I think most of them are like this tbh...
    I had meteor insurance (3rd party i believe), but the terms and conditions were mad! I had to report to them within 24 hours. But they weren't open on Sunday's or something like that? Sure if you lost it on a sat night what would you do?

In general phone insurance it tricky... they literally try to find a reason not to pay out... i guess like most insurance policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Personally I have found CPW a nightmare to deal with. Tried to cancel my insurance three times, six months later its still not sorted. Hope you get yours dealt with op.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

After a couple of bad experiences with CPW including this supposed deal(50 pages!)
    I have resolved never to deal with this crowd again.
    They don't know the meaning of customer service and likely never will judging by their attitude.
    Insurance should be helpful, not trying to deal with a bunch of weasels.
    You have paid for a service and not received anything like it.
    Thank you OP for another timely reminder that Carphone warehouse is not a customer orientated company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

He shouldn't have to complain on here & make his issue public to get your attention. At least be consistent - this is worse than not responding IMO. It's essentially an admission of guilt that Lifeline "suddenly" decided his claim is now "pending", despite 2 previous refusal letters. Why has his claim status suddenly changed? Oh yeah - because of some bad PR. What about all the phone calls he made beforehand pleading his legit case? Why does he have to start this thread to get what he paid for in the first place?

At least stick to your guns and refuse his claim if you genuinely believe in your T&C. You're undermining yourselves!

Pathetic, TBH.

Totally agree with FM.

I have another issue with CPW, and it's every bit as sh1t as the above complaint. I bought a new phone there and was assured I would have my old number ( was changing from O2 to 3 as there was a 'special' on). I also asked the assistant in the CPW shop to transfer the contacts from my sim card to the new phone. Was told I can do it online at home. Of course stupid me believed this BS. Went back the next morning only to be told, the old phone is gone ( traded it in). Only after speaking to a friend who knew his mobiles, and went back to the shop and threatened them with comreg, only then they transferred the data over.

It took me 48 hours, 3 visits to their shop, and 3 phone calls to their (3 ) assist line speaking to people who think they can speak English, before I could get my old number onto the new phone. Works well now, but why the hell did I have to resort to threats to get what I am entitled to???

My advice is: STAY AWAY from BOTH 3 & Carphone Warehouse. I will NEVER AGAIN touch either company(?) with a 40ft bargepole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I too am wondering why you didn't claim on your household insurance.

Mobiles are named items on my household insurance (special item as it is in many locations throughout the day), I didnt have it named cause I was supposed to have separate insurance for it :rolleyes:, Its a bit off topic and not really the point of this thread, also the excess on my household policy doesn't make it worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Your company is a disgrace. I hate these companies that try and fix things only when they are made public on messageboards. Basically it shows you are scam merchants as you know you the person is due a refund/insurance/etc... but you are only paying up for PR purposes.

We're not morons, we all know for every one person posting the problem here there are probably fifty more who dont think to post here and get done by your company.

This is the single most intelligent piece of observation I have read this year in relation to how a company treats its customers.

Congrats Irishdude11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This is the single most intelligent piece of observation I have read this year in relation to how a company treats its customers.

Congrats Irishdude11

i fully agree a bit of bad press and they will do anything for you:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I'd advise the OP to immediately file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman. This cost nothing whatsoever and not only will they investigate the complaint, but if necessary they will insist this shower change their policy details so that a small bit of fairness applies.

Reporting it to the Gardai within 24 hours should be more than enough for any insurance policy to cover the cost of the phone. That's what credit card companies do.

I could see their point if they said you were reponsible for call costs after the 24 hour period, but not for the claim to be voided.

For everyone else, it's a warning not to entertain in anyway this utterly unfair "insurance" (my ass) product.

This will take 2 minutes of your time -
    https://www.financialombudsman.ie/making-a-complaint/complaint-form.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

24 hours ... thats unreal.

I could understand the calls alright, but what difference is the 24 hours going to make ??!?!?

If anything it would force you to make a claim before you even had a chance to look for the phone.

Stupid aswell, if you were a pure langer you could just say you lost it an hour ago down the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 subsystem

Sorry to hear about your ordeal..I recently dealt with O2's insurance (phonecover..part of zurich) which was an absoulute pleasure, got my new iphone 4 in about 24hrs, couldnt recommend them highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

None of this surprises me with Carphone Warehouse, I'm currently having similar problems with their customer service (albeit with phone replacement/refund following failed repair rather than with insurance)

They are unbelievably bad and seem to think they are above the law of the land!

Wish you the best in dealing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Sorry for bumping thread...

Just reading re the cancelling of insurance and how to go about it.

Have been paying it a few months, asked to cancel it last month, still being charged.

Can I just cancel my Direct Debit via my online banking or will they chase me for money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

PopTarts wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping thread...

Just reading re the cancelling of insurance and how to go about it.

Have been paying it a few months, asked to cancel it last month, still being charged.

Can I just cancel my Direct Debit via my online banking or will they chase me for money?

Put it in writing to them at the office in Omni Santry. The address should be on the website

Advertisement