Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi - help

• 15-05-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi

My laptop wont connect to the wifi in my house but it will connect to wifi in college. It always worked at home up until a few weeks ago when I tried to connect and windows displayed unable to connect I troubleshooted and it found nothing.

Im using a normal router that does not have wireless but i have a wireless router adapter attached that has no security to connect to the wifi network,

Any help would be very much appreciated as it is very annoying having the laptop connected via cable the whole time... thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Go in to your router settings.

Go to run, type cmd and hit enter. When the dos prompt comes up type in ipconfig /all and hit enter again.

You want the Default Gateway address. Type this number in to the address bar and hit enter again.

This will bring you in to the router settings. Go to wireless and make sure it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

I did this and nothing changed

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Username taken

Hi, just on the off chance, do you have a tv signal splitter (the kind that sends an infrared signal to a second tv) anywhere near the modem / router ? I had the same problem as you and it was resolved by switching the splitter off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hi,
    have seen this a few times on vista. The solution that always worked for me was to go to Network and sharing centre, then manage wireless networks, find your network listed there and delete it.
    Windows will now tell you that it has found a new network and ask for the security key, once you input this it now should connect successfully.
    Try it, hope it works for you.
    If it doesnt work check wether your wireless is being managed by Windows or by a third party program supplied by the wireless card manufacturer. Try switching between them, sometimes this can work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

On a side note, please please please turn on wifi security again!

Anyone could use your wifi connection to download god knows what, and worse still they can "sniff" the information you are viewing and entering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you're using Vista / 7 then a common problem is related to the firewall issues. I imagine when you click to connect on your wi-fi you get an error message almost immediately.

Go into Control Panel -> Windows Firewall and turn it off. Check your advanced settings in Windows Firewall too and make sure your Wireless Connection is allowed through.

Do ArtyM's method if you haven't done so already and try to connect again.

More often than not this method works but don't hold your breath either.

If it does work and you're connected to your wi-fi then you should turn your firewall back on immediately.

Plus, put security on on your wi-fi too. Your neighbours might decide to use it and you'll probably notice a decrease in speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

chin_grin wrote: »

Go to run, type cmd and hit enter. When the dos prompt comes up type in ipconfig /all and hit enter again.

You want the Default Gateway address. Type this number in to the address bar and hit enter again.

This will bring you in to the router settings. Go to wireless and make sure it's on.

When your in there.

Change the wireless channel mode. Either Auto or choose channel 1,7 or 11.

Also download this program. http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

It will show you the wireless networks around you. Somebody may be on the same channel and "knocking" your laptop off it. See which channels are free and choose that one via your wireless router.

I tried all the above and still no joy!

I have an ariel splitter and i turned it off and tried it and didnt work , yes it is a windows 7 home premium laptop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The same thing was happening me, leave the laptop plugged in the whole time to the power cord and connect again.It done the trick for me!

Im not very technical,i think it has to do with boosting the wireless signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭burrentech

corridon69 wrote: »
    I tried all the above and still no joy!

I have an ariel splitter and i turned it off and tried it and didnt work , yes it is a windows 7 home premium laptop

Suspect something may have happened to the wifi transmitter. Can you do a wired connection? You should be able to connect to the router from a browser window and check the status of the wifi from there.

• Advertisement

Yes i can get a wired connetion,
    cant check the wireless transmitter as the transmitter is is just connected onto normal modem to make it wireless( i mean like i have two seperate items a modem and a wifi transmitter)

There is a video transmitter sending a signal to a reciever in my house, I think this might be interfering with my connection. Does anyone know how i could change this without turning off the signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There is a video transmitter sending a signal to a reciever in my house, I think this might be interfering with my connection. Does anyone know how i could change this without turning off the signal?

If there is a video transmitter at 2.4ghz in the house, then this will interfere with the wifi network. I stopped using a tv sender on 2,4 and got a 5.8 one as i could not use both together.

chin_grin wrote: »

If the wireless radio was not on in the router, the pc would have to be connected to the router with a network cable to enable the wireless radio probably.

Turns out it was a video transmitter sending a signal to a reciever in my house that was interferring with my wifi , how would I go about stopping this in future when the camera is turned on and sending a signal?

They may not work properly together, but you can try the video transmitter on channel 1 if its one of them 4 channel ones, and the broadband router on the upper channels like 12 or 13. or vice versa, video transmitter on channel 4 and the router down at channel 1 or 2.

I had to change my tv sender to 5.8ghz to solve that problem.

How do I change the channels on my wifi?

How do I change the channels on my wifi?

Depends on the router, the netopia ones eircom use, you type 192.168.1.254 into your internet explorer address bar and the menu comes up.

My router and many others its 192.168.1.1 into address bar to get the menu.

Then you find the wireless section in the menus and change the channel there. In the netopia one(eircoms routers) it is probably in the advanced settings menu, i would have to be in front of its menu to say exactly how.

I am on NTL broadband using a netgear router. So i use the 192.168.1.1 address.

What router are you using?

Im using a voyager 210 router and an edimax wireless transmitter what the voyager is plugged into

You can try 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and see of the menu for your router comes up.

To confirm what the actual address of your router is, type command prompt into the start search (bottom left menu) on screen.

Into the black command prompt window type ipconfig, and the default gateway should be in the list not far from the top of window, probably under subnet mask. This is your router address, which might be 192.168.1.1, or similar. Put into address bar for router menu.

But no matter what channels you use, you may still have problems. Worth a try though. You will then have to see can you find the place tochange channels, im not familiar with that router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I don't think robbie7730 realizes that your Edimax is a separate device. You won't be able to change your wireless channel by logging into your (non-wireless) router. I expect you'll need to log in to the Edimax to do that.

Have you tried following the setup instructions that came with your Edimax? Post the Edimax model number if you need assistance with that.

I have 2 seperate devices myself, although my wireless AP is also the router. The modem is seperate. Either way, the wireless AP and its setup should be accessible over the network. The model number of the edimax is needed.

But overall, it might not matter too much, if trying all 4 channels on the video transmitter (if it has selectable channels) will not resolve the interference problem, then changing wifi channels may not help either, although worth a try.

Advertisement