Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly tying.

• 15-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello, just wondreing what kind of set would I need to start tying small river flies? And what kind of material, where can i get them etc. ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Your best bet might be one of the beginner sets. Here's an example. Some tackle shops ave them and I've even got them from book shops before too.

Something like that will get you going on the basic skills and then its a case of being limited by materials. The more you have the more patterns you can tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

well start up sets are not dear as for materials thats a different set up ,you never have enough .Where are u based?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jonesy93

Hey thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I'm located in cork and I fish the Bride. the tackle shop that i normally go to is T.W Murrays in Cork city, are they liley to have a starter set and all the materials etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i got one about 3 years ago it comes in a green bag with all the tools a and a few materials you would need to get a few more materials but you can still tie flies with the materials you get with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Starter kits are all well and good for getting going, but you'll find when your moving on and surpassing shop quality flies that the stuff in those kits just doesnt cut it.

So Id start off with a small to medium sized kit, see what flies your tying most of and then buy those materials seperately. Dont rush out and buy one of those "life times worth of every feather imaginable" kits that seem great value for just a few hundred euro.

And for the love of God dont mix up your materials (Advice I really need to start following :rolleyes: ), theres nothing worse then having 3 or 4 capes lying in the bottom of your box and they are all the same colour, but each one is a different shade and then your left wondering which one is which.

Oh and your definietly... and I do mean defineitly.. gonna want some mothballs or lavendar bags for your box. These are an absolute essential if you value your stuff.

Goodluck with the tying :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement