Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likelihood of new Kindle this year?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm thinking of asking for the Kindle for an upcoming birthday gift.

There seems to be a few rumours going about suggesting that the next logical step for Kindle would be a "colour" knidle so that it could tap into the magazine market.

What's the likelihood of a new Kindle being announced later this year.

I suppose I'm asking is there a good reason for me to wait for this new Kindle or is the current one just that good that I should bite the bullet and get it?

Boobar

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There won't be a colour kindle using that vital e-ink tech this year, that's for sure.

If Amazon do release a colour kindle it'll be more of a tablet, and will suffer from the same reading issues all the current teblets suffer from. e-ink is absolutely necessary if you intend on doing ANY reading outdoors/under natural light (an LCD will fade out, you'll damage your eyes trying to read it over long periods)

I have an ipad2 myself, GF has the newer kindle...for reading I'd pick the kindle every-time, but as a tool the ipad excels - it just cannot be used outdoors :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks Mactard,

With that in mind, I think I'll stick the "current" Kindle on the birthday list so.

Thanks for taking the time to comment back.

Boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Chances are the next Kindle will be a cheaper version which is full of ads' to subsidize the price of the hardware.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Chances are the next Kindle will be a cheaper version which is full of ads' to subsidize the price of the hardware.

Even though the poster I'm quoting was banned I'll just add that the version he/she speaks of has already been announced by amazon and it's just the regular kindle - not a new/the next one, not sure if it's available yet outside of the states yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Mactard wrote: »
    Even though the poster I'm quoting was banned I'll just add that the version he/she speaks of has already been announced by amazon and it's just the regular kindle - not a new/the next one, not sure if it's available yet outside of the states yet though.

Sorry I should have been clearer in my post, it is not a new device just a subsidised version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement