Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding honey to secondary??

Options
  • 15-05-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hi i was thinking of adding a jar or two of honey to the seconday when racking beer...i have coopers blonde on at mo....what i was thinking of doing was leave the beer in primary till fermentation is stopped the when racking add honey im trying to get a honey taste of beer few questions if anyone can help me ...would this work/be ok? would it cause beer to start fermenting again? i wasnt going to boil the honey in water or anything just straight in?any advice would be great cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

If you add honey the beer will start fermenting again, two jars of honey will make the beer a lot stronger too. :D. Another way would be to use honey as a priming solution at bottling time instead of brewing sugar. To be safe maybe heat the honey with a bit of water in the microwave for a few minutes, although a friend bottled using honey straight from jar a few years ago and was fine. What volume of beer do you think you will be bottling? . You are probably looking at using 7g of honey per litre of beer at bottling time if your beer ferments around 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

Never thought of honey making it stronger! I'll be making 40ty pints round 4.5percent don't want anything too strong I like to enjoy the taste!!I mite try priming with honey very tedious thou would that be enough to give me a good honey flavour thou?cheers for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Honey is about 80% fermentable so you will more alcohol when it ferments out. I am not sure would you get much honey flavour using it at bottling but worth a shot maybe. Just add your total honey batch priming amount to a sanitised fermenter and transfer the beer to this. You can then just bottle directly from this, a lot easier than adding honey to each bottle :)

Advertisement