Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a router

• 15-05-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi friends,

I would like to purchase a medium grade router for some DIY woodwork. I'd ideally like a plunge model and I think a 1/4 collett would do me. I dont want to spend any more than €100.

I really like this Bosch but it seems it has a trigger on/off switch which has to be held in for operation. Now this detail is actually a big deal for me and I am guessing for many others. I want a router with a simple on/off switch that I don't have to hold in. Also it's a detail that's very hard to determine from product specs and promo pictures. Manufacturers tend not to mention p[ower switch type.

Any recommendations given the above info?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, you're not likely to get much better than that for less than €100, I know Makita do a router that are a throw switch, but they're not the cheapest.

I bought one from Argos a few years ago. Cheap as chips and i had no problems when I've used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

heres a great little router i got one myself and it as good and even better than makita or dewalt routers ive had before. just over your budget but probably worth it. it has a on/off switch and varible speed08780dad2da0e07ce1a903010abc.jpg?o=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://www.trend-uk.com/product/T4EK/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

there is a reason you need to hold in the on/off switch

and it simply means that there is less chance of you losing a finger :D

but i'd go with the trend one

they are a bit pricier but well worth it

you'll get 20 years out of one if you take care of it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

there is a reason you need to hold in the on/off switch

and it simply means that there is less chance of you losing a finger :D

If I loose a finger, then I'll take the blame. Health and safety has its place but these new trigger switches on routers are bloody awful. Also with some, you have to press a safety release button before you can pull the power trigger. Awkward, Stupid, Awkward and probably as dangerous.

Routers are precision intricate instruments that need your hands free to adjust your grip and your pressure points as the work demands it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

what u think of the trend router?? not bad at €132??

• Advertisement

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    what u think of the trend router?? not bad at €132??

I know Trend and used to have one of their routers and some jigs. They are the Router people and make beautiful tools.

I'm just worried that the T4 is too small for me. Is 850watts realistic for a router?

dnme wrote: »
    Routers are precision intricate instruments that need your hands free to adjust your grip and your pressure points as the work demands it.

trust me i know this i'm a carpenter for 10 years

if you know so much about routers and woodwork why would you ask for a router recommendation

dnme wrote: »
    you have to press a safety release button before you can pull the power trigger. Awkward, Stupid, Awkward and probably as dangerous.

and again silly comment
    if you leave a router running(and take your hands off) and the blade digs into your piece it'll destroy your work and the machine

trust me i know this i'm a carpenter for 10 years

if you know so much about routers and woodwork why would you ask for a router recommendation

Cos I haven't owned a router for years and so am not familiar with latest stock/prices/models etc. Also I'm on a very tight budget. Isn't that what discussion boards are all about ?

If you've been a carpenter for so long; perhaps you could offer some input with regard to the question at hand, that'd be great!

post#4 ???????????????

is that not input ????????

I am thinking strongly about going for the Bosch in my OP. It has a nice mid range power rating (1400w) but it also has electronically controlled constant speed ( a big plus) and it'll plunge 55mm. Apart from this, I have a couple of bids placed on router auctions so lets see what happens. Any other input greatly appreciated by the way.

• Advertisement

super cheap used hitachi but still looks pretty good tho
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2086830

the bits alone are worth the €40 they look like frend bits

super cheap used hitachi but still looks pretty good tho
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2086830

the bits alone are worth the €40 they look like frend bits

It'd be an ideal second router to put in a table. It's old school - single speed and heavy springs, so height adjust is a battle against the spring but still a great table workhorse. Would you be weary of second hand bits?

most 2nd hand bits are sharpenable
    if you take care of them

it looked like some of them were never even used too

Advertisement