Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dowsing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

an ri rua

how did you start out as a beginner? ive just bought a pair of rods on the net...wondering if i should get a book..maybe you can recommend one?

or is it better to just use intuition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

lolo62 wrote: »
    an ri rua

how did you start out as a beginner? ive just bought a pair of rods on the net...wondering if i should get a book..maybe you can recommend one?

or is it better to just use intuition?

Hi. have a look at this excellent resource. Its exactly what you need. Its a methodology. YOu're trying to programme responses into your rod reactions. Otherwise, the confusing biofeedback may damage your progress. http://www.lettertorobin.org/Home.html

That is all you need. Its for pendulum dowsing. But the methodology is the same, just a different instrument. I find the Dowser's Workbook, referenced earlier, very useful and methodical. For all instruments.

I presume you're dowsing for material objects? I would start there. Until you can trust your dowsing, i.e find or dig up what you think is there, then its too incredulous for you, and others, to believe what your dowsing is telling you. I would also be discreet, way too many knockers out there. Visit the forums that I have mentioned and learn to discern which posters actually dowse successfully and which talk crap.

Finally, be open, enquiring, seeking. And enjoy yourself. Don't try too hard. Focus, in small bursts.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi. have a look at this excellent resource. Its exactly what you need. Its a methodology. YOu're trying to programme responses into your rod reactions. Otherwise, the confusing biofeedback may damage your progress. http://www.lettertorobin.org/Home.html

That is all you need. I presume you're dowsing for material objects? I would start there. Until you can trust your dowsing, i.e find or dig up what you think is there, then its too incredulous for you, and others, to believe what your dowsing is telling you. I would also be discreet, way too many knockers out there. Visit the forums that I have mentioned and learn to discern which posters actually dowse successfully and which talk crap.

Finally, be open, enquiring, seeking. And enjoy yourself. Don't try too hard. Focus, in small bursts.

fantastic thanks! that site looks really comprehensive ill definitely be using it

i saw a shaman use them to measure a persons energy field before and after a meditation and was blown away

id love to look for energy lay-lines and vortexes etc but that might be jumping miles ahead of myself...

will start with small steps and explore from there

great to know theres a practicing dowser on the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Cant say I have Dave -Not sure if the 'pressure' of performing would affect my dowsing response.Also i would suspect that the jug of water,,being moved about,might not be able to establish its presence or 'energy field',which might confuse the response.This is maybe why nobody has collected Randys prize money.

Wouldn't you get a response from anywhere there was ever water then?

It's deffo worth having a go though, you could set it up in a long hall or something and move all the buckets forward a Meter or so for each test.

Wouldn't you get a response from anywhere there was ever water then?

It's deffo worth having a go though, you could set it up in a long hall or something and move all the buckets forward a Meter or so for each test.

For most water-dowsers, a jug of water would be a no-no. Moving water tends to be the target, still water producing no response. This is prominent in any qualitative dowsing research over the years. I would say quantitative too, regardless of the dowsing results. I'm saying dowsers would never typically seek out still water. Its always underground streams and occasionally what some dowsers refer to as 'primary water'.

However, some dowsers break dowsing into physical and mental dowsing. So in this case mental dowsing would uncover the jug of water whereas physical dowsing would not. I'm not going to get into explanations of those theories here but I would advise researching them.

What Genghis suggests would seem to be immaterial. The best solution is to modify that test by placing a metallic object below one of the buckets and hold a sample / witness of same in your hand as you dowse. You also need to be methodical about how you seek a response. It can't be arbitrary. You must teach yourself through biofeedback to read responses for when e.g your heel is over the target. You need to get a feel for what position the rods should be in regards to your body also. And then stick to it. Arms at right angles, arms locked out fully? Etc etc. Its all about being methodical; for your sake in progressing and also in deflecting cynics from ruining your progress.

Again, don't expose yourself to cynics unneccessarily. Just give it a go. And be methodical. And don't over-practice. Little and often. Like any skill you're attempting to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

lolo 62-now that you have got your rods,welcome to the world of dowsing.Make sure you keep the rods nice and level so they're not swaying with their own weight.Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

mcmoustache - I wish to remind you that the above post written by you is in breach of two of the forum Charter rules, namely:

mcmoustache, you will NOT post a dismissive and insulting reply like the above ever again.

This is fair enough. My post was rather dismissive of dowsing and I'm not going to disagree that it was against the charter.

That said, I should point out that my post was from May of last year and I have not visited the thread since then (till now, obviously). I don't understand why I am now receiving warnings about old posts.

I have made several posts here over the years, usually either skeptical or tongue-in-cheek and these too might breach the current charter. Should I now expect to see some more warnings and if so, how far back are you likely to go looking for infractable posts?

If it's a couple of months, then I can delete any offending posts. If we're talking years, then it wouldn't really be practical for me to do this. Obviously, it's fairly important to know how far back into the historical record you will go to find actionable posts.

If you wish, I can move this to feedback instead as derailling the thread is not my intention.

This is fair enough. My post was rather dismissive of dowsing and I'm not going to disagree that it was against the charter.

That said, I should point out that my post was from May of last year and I have not visited the thread since then (till now, obviously). I don't understand why I am now receiving warnings about old posts.

I have made several posts here over the years, usually either skeptical or tongue-in-cheek and these too might breach the current charter. Should I now expect to see some more warnings and if so, how far back are you likely to go looking for infractable posts?

If it's a couple of months, then I can delete any offending posts. If we're talking years, then it wouldn't really be practical for me to do this. Obviously, it's fairly important to know how far back into the historical record you will go to find actionable posts.

If you wish, I can move this to feedback instead as derailling the thread is not my intention.

This is more arrogance and navel-gazing. Seriously off-topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

mcmoustache, one of the reasons why I chose to warn you for that post in May was because anyone viewing this thread for the first time recently would have seen that post and may have been discouraged from contributing to the thread. That's why. In any case, all I did was warn you - not issue an infraction.

I'm not going to dig out old 'offensive' posts by you and you don't have to delete same (if applicable) either.

wayoutwest wrote: »
    lolo 62-now that you have got your rods,welcome to the world of dowsing.Make sure you keep the rods nice and level so they're not swaying with their own weight.Happy hunting.

cheers! will take that on board :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

When I was a kid, we lived out in the country, in west Cork. The well supplying the house used to dry up in the summer, so my father decided to try and find another one. My father employed a water diviner (from Ballingeary, I think): he came, use a wire: found a spot in the field behind the house: explained that two "springs" intersected there: one was 6 feet down and the other 10 feet down (or something like that). Each revolution of the wire corresponded to a depth of 1 ft.

Amazingly, his predictions were correct and that well (supplied by 2 springs) is still the water source for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Poulgorm wrote: »
    When I was a kid, we lived out in the country, in west Cork. The well supplying the house used to dry up in the summer, so my father decided to try and find another one. My father employed a water diviner (from Ballingeary, I think): he came, use a wire: found a spot in the field behind the house: explained that two "springs" intersected there: one was 6 feet down and the other 10 feet down (or something like that). Each revolution of the wire corresponded to a depth of 1 ft.

Amazingly, his predictions were correct and that well (supplied by 2 springs) is still the water source for the house.
    If the man used to play the accordion, I think he was probably the same man that found the water for my aunt (I wrote about her earlier, one of the first posts on the thread). He used to play at the céilí for the Irish courses in Coláiste na Mumhan.
    He used a pendulum over a sketch map of the area he was going to look in, and then went out and walked the land. I think he used a hazel "V", but I never saw him do it.
    I've used a pendulum myself, for fun, but never to seriously look for something. My aunt did, though, and found things like lost jewelry and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

deirdremf wrote: »
    If the man used to play the accordion, I think he was probably the same man that found the water for my aunt (I wrote about her earlier, one of the first posts on the thread). He used to play at the céilí for the Irish courses in Coláiste na Mumhan.
    He used a pendulum over a sketch map of the area he was going to look in, and then went out and walked the land. I think he used a hazel "V", but I never saw him do it.
    I've used a pendulum myself, for fun, but never to seriously look for something. My aunt did, though, and found things like lost jewelry and so on.

I think he owned (or a member of the family owned) a pub in Ballingeary. His surname began with "S". And ended with "n". Are we talking about the same man? He is dead now, undoubtedly. I don't know anything about his musical skills.

Advertisement