Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon age 2 storyline

Options
  • 15-05-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Just finished Dragon age 2 and i have to say i was pretty disappointed, dragon age origins had an amazing story but the problem with dragon age 2 is that it's just a series of events really, none of any great consequence to be honest... did anyone actually like the story? if it can even be called that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I found it boring. With Origins you had the main enemy, the Darkspawn, as the main focus of the story from the start. And the main story revolved around the struggle to defeat them throughout the game and this made it enjoyable.

With DA2 there was no main enemy throughout the game. The story felt fractured as a result and lacked the excitement of Origins. Halfway through DA2 i was bored stiff and just switched it onto the easy difficulty so i could plow through the rest of the game quickly.

I was a bit disappointed with the game overall. I had high hopes before i played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I haven't played DA2 for the simple reason that if I wanted to play as a pre-ordained character I'd play Mass Effect 2. The great thing about DA was that you could create your character, name it after yourself and become involved in the storyline. Playing as the cliched monikered Hawke, whats the point? Why can't you just transfer your original character over into DA2 like with Baldurs Gate? And why not keep the most popular characters, Morrigan, Alistair etc and expand the cast to include new characters instead of just starting from scratch. Also the world is meant to be limited to a city? That really sucks. In addition I've read about the fact that armour and weapons aren't as customizable.

DA was fun, a lot of fun and it was welcome reminder of the Baldurs Gate series. If I had only one criticism of DA its that it wasn't long enough, even though it was pretty long, I wanted more hours! BG 2 for example is what feels like a suitably lengthy game. Also I'd prefer if they incorporated the D&D rule set just for the sake of elitism although it didn't actually impact upon the gameplay in any discernible way.

But DA2, its apparently 50 + hours long=too short. Apparently there are a lot of
    "work" quests, like cleaning up the streets of criminals, repititive and laborious types of quest and having played ME the side quests were mostly like this and not fun. If you want to make these types of quests fun then the perfect solution is what was offered in DA with Correspondus Interuptus, ie collect the ribald love letters of royalty in order to blackmail them.

So for these reasons I'm not going near DA2, I don't know why they wanted to change something which worked perfectly and its unfortunate that there aren't many of the classic style of RPGs being made anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In my opinion DA:2 should never have gotten the "2" part of the title. Should have been called "cash in / stopgap" before the next one.

Advertisement