Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which musical would you like to see come to Dublin ?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Having seen spamalot last night, (totally loved it) & just watched the tony award performance from Rock of ages, I'm wondering what others would like to see performed in the Fabulous Grand Canal theatre.

My picks would be: Rock Of Ages, Jersey Boys & Xanadu (I like the more contemporary ones).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Les Mis, Avenue Q, Wicked for a start.:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Les Mis was here yonks ago, we don't have a venue that would work for Wicked (they fly in over 120 separate pieces...as in on overhead bars not on a plane). Avenue Q is easily staged but rumour has it the amateur rights will be out by the end of the year.

I would like to see Billy Elliott come over, I think it would go down really well with Irish audiences and it's not a huge tech show so should fit in the GCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Avenue Q I'd like to see. Saw Wicked in London a couple of years ago & was impressed with it, but not enough to want to see again for a while.

Sister Act is coming here & I'm not sure about that one. There's several that I see as cash ins, others that have a likely future from film to stage. Footloose is another I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Elliejo wrote: »
    Les Mis, Avenue Q, Wicked for a start.:D;)

Same they would be my favourites, along with the Phantom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

No need for that Elliejo, keep it civil.

• Advertisement

I am being civil. It was a condescending remark that I replied to.

It was not a condescending remark, not everyone who reads/posts on this board know the technicalities of staging a major show.

I did the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour at Wicked NYC and was amazed at the tech requirements.

I am being civil. It was a condescending remark that I replied to.

It wasn't in the least bit condescending, it was an explanation for those who wouldn't get the terminology. Back on topic now folks.

Myself, I'd love to see Wicked come here as well as Avenue Q (although Avenue Q is coming to Belfast in July!). Phantom would be great too. In fact, I just wish we had a decent numbers of musicals on in Ireland all the time. I still haven't managed to make it to any of the shows in the Grand Canal Theatre because I just can't afford it but I'm delighted to see that so many musicals are being performed in it.

I wouldn't be aware of the terminology myself, my knowledge of musicals is (unfortunately) usually from the audience side of the stage so it was a new term for me and I'm sure many others. :)

Well as you can see, I've deleted my posts as I seem to have unintentionally caused offence. Apologies to all.:D:D

Back on topic. I would also like to see Phantom come to Ireland. I went to see it in London last year, but unfortunately just as I was queueing up to go into the theatre, I got news that a good friend had died suddenly, so I spent the first half in tears. I really don't remember much about the show. :(

• Advertisement

Phantom was also here years back..the Point had a few professional shows there before GCT...
    • Les Miserables
    • Phantom
    • Miss Saigon
    • Jesus Christ Superstar
    • Beauty & the Beast
    • Mama Mia
    • Starlight Express

are the ones I remember, maybe there were more. I know We Will Rock You was there more recently as well.

We've had a few in the Gaiety/Olympia too over the years. Things like Cabaret & Chicago as well as the ever present Joseph and Blood Brothers.

I'm looking forward to Dirty Dancing and Sister Act this year. Wish the GCT would do something about ticket prices, better to play to full houses paying less for their tickets than a half empty theatre.

Legally Blonde would be a good one for here too...the show is such a tonic. Had the CD for 2 years before I saw it but came out smiling, the show has such a feelgood factor on stage, much better than you get from the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 suarez9

God save the queen

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lcarr

I'm a musical nut and take part in musicals in my home town, most recently playing Svetlana in Chess the musical. Went to see Chess in GCT and was not impressed! Did anybody else like it?

I would love to see Wicked, going to London in June and hoping to see it.. I've also heard that Jersey Boys is phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'd love to see Priscilla done over here,the London production is amazing!
    Oh and Jersey Boys I love that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 prosarch

Good thread!!! Love to see: Aida, Billy Elliot, the new touring Les Miz, 13 would be great as well (and yes some of these are wishful thinking). Jersey Boys, as mentioned already would be great too. Legally Blonde would be cool as well. Saw it in London recently and was a fun enjoyable evening. I guess any touring production doing the rounds in England has a shot at coming here.

Sister Act seems good, and it has gotten Tony noms for Best Musical, Best Score, so wonder what it will win on the night.

Anything that has already been here in the point would be great to see in a real theatre. I mean trying to watch Phantom from the back of the point was really, I guess, no point!!! OK OK bad joke I know :)

I did see Chess, and gave my views before. Was very impressed by the singing, not always by costumes and some staging, but it was great to see it over here. Did you get to sing Some One Else's Story in your production Lcarr?

I don't know if phantom would work in the GCT, it's too modern (not a bad thing). I saw it in London & the century old thearte added to the effect & romance of the show.

The problem I have with Legally Blonde is I've already seen the film (which isn't a musical) & they're gonna charge me close to €100 to see it again (same goes for sister act).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Would love to see:

Phantom,
    Wicked,
    Sound of Music.

iMax wrote: »
    The problem I have with Legally Blonde is I've already seen the film (which isn't a musical) & they're gonna charge me close to €100 to see it again (same goes for sister act).

Legally Blonde the musical is another league to the film. It's an absolute must see!

I'll check it out on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

athtrasna wrote: »
    Legally Blonde the musical is another league to the film. It's an absolute must see!
    I remember being disappointed at Legally Blonde! But that said, I saw it on Broadway and from what I've seen it's had a much better reception in the West End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

The Lord of the Rings
    preferably with the original London cast :D
    I loooooved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Phantom of the opera and billy elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PingPing

Wicked. Honestly, just Wicked.
    And I'd more than likely be asked to leave because I'd want to sing along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

iMax wrote: »
    Avenue Q I'd like to see. Saw Wicked in London a couple of years ago & was impressed with it, but not enough to want to see again for a while.

Sister Act is coming here & I'm not sure about that one. There's several that I see as cash ins, others that have a likely future from film to stage. Footloose is another I'd like to see.

Hopefully the Grand Canal will pick up some of these bigger London shows the way the Royal Opera House in Belfast does.

Incidentally Avenue Q fans might want to check THIS out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alikindlon

PingPing wrote: »
    Wicked. Honestly, just Wicked.
    And I'd more than likely be asked to leave because I'd want to sing along.

I'll be there beside you! :)

Only saw Wicked in London before Christmas and would love if it came here, I'd go every night!

Would like to see Phantom again too but not in any rush, Blood brothers, Lion King & I missed Mamma Mia when it was here last so would LOVE to see that live!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Mamma Mia is playing in the Grand Canal in October

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alikindlon

hayser wrote: »
    Mamma Mia is playing in the Grand Canal in October

Great! Thanks! Better get a gang together!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Sunset boulevard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

alikindlon wrote: »
    I'll be there beside you! :)

Only saw Wicked in London before Christmas and would love if it came here, I'd go every night!

Would like to see Phantom again too but not in any rush, Blood brothers, Lion King & I missed Mamma Mia when it was here last so would LOVE to see that live!

Blood Brothers is back on at the moment in Dublin.My family are at it today, would have been my 3rd time seeing it today. Maybe my 4th actually... Studying for the leaving cert and listening to the sound track. Searched BB in boards there. You should still be able to get tickets !

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Blood Brothers is back on at the moment in Dublin.My family are at it today, would have been my 3rd time seeing it today. Maybe my 4th actually... Studying for the leaving cert and listening to the sound track. Searched BB in boards there. You should still be able to get tickets !

I hate what they did to the score to modernise it...awful!

Advertisement