Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Mater Dei or Arts?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi I am filling up my CAO for the second time I had started a course in September but I didn't like it so i dropped out. Obviously I don't want to make the same mistake again.All year I have been saying I would do an Arts degree in UCC as I felt it was the safest choice as Arts is a great course to branch into different careers after. However, a friend suggested the Mater Dei History and Religion teaching course to me. As I will definitely be doing History in an Arts Degree anyway as one of my subjects, and teaching is something I would consider doing anyway I'm wondering which course would be a better one to do? Also I only did history and religion for my junior cert as I couldn't keep them on for my Leaving Cert. Is it a bad idea to do the course in the mater dei if I haven't done history or religion for my leaving cert? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I wouldnt let not doing History or Religion for LC stop you from applying to Mater Dei. I am on that course and I didnt do LC history myself. You just have to be interested enough to keep yourself motivated to do all the reading for essays and exams! If you like history go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shel16

Thanks for the advice, i did history for my junior cert and religion and i did like them then, another question, are there any student villages near the mater dei ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Well if you like the subject then your halfway there! Its in Drumcondra so there is student accommodation all over the place out there. check out daft.ie if your looking! Or else the college is also linked to DCU so I think that their student village is open to Mater Dei ppl too!!

I would prefer to live in a student village to be honest for first year anyway as its the easiest way to make friends plus if i had any problems with my accommodation the student village could sort it out for me . The only student village i could find was Gate Way near DCU? Would you know of any student villages near the Mater Dei? Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mhav

Its a good choice as you have a specific job title after your degree whereas with an arts course your left wit everything and nothing!

This is another student accomodation about 20 min walk closer then gateway as far as i know.
    http://www.marinoaccommodation.com/
    Its good craic, stayed there for a year and was lucky to meet other mater dei students too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million il check it out anyway when im in Dublin I'm 99percent sure at the moment that I will do the course my sister is doing History for the LC and I had a look at one of her books the other night it is massive and thats only one of them. The subject is interesting but id say it is pretty heavy stuff too! Having said that I think it is a safer course than arts because at least I dont have to worry about a h dip after. With arts id say its hard to know what your doing after you have your degree done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ClionaIrene

Can anyone tell me what the timetable is like for first year religon and history please?
    Thanks

Advertisement