Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams to run for President ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Manassas61 wrote: »
    If Northern Ireland is allowed to vote, then the Unionist community need to have a candidate for them to vote for.

Why would a Unionist want to be president of a foreign and alien place such as the south anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Why would a Unionist want to be president of a foreign and alien place such as the south anyway?
    Well I don't see it happening anyway. I struggle to see how it would work legally as its two different states. But it is a job I suppose and I presume the President gets paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Well I don't see it happening anyway. I struggle to see how it would work legally as its two different states. But it is a job I suppose and I presume the President gets paid?

The constitutional convention has recommended it and it happens all over Europe. Why do you not see it happening? I'm delighted it's finally coming around. The next President could be the first really legitimate Irish President ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I struggle to see how it would work legally as its two different states.

Anyone born on the island is entitled to Irish citizenship by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

???????
    Won't happen. The constitutional convention are a populist talking shop.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Won't happen. The constitutional convention are a populist talking shop.

All the major parties are in favour of it as, I would imagine, are the vast majority of Irish passport holders in the north. I dont know how many of them there are in total but some 400,000 have been issued since 1998.
    I'll be surprised if it's not in place for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

All the major parties are in favour of it as, I would imagine, are the vast majority of Irish passport holders in the north. I dont know how many of them there are in total but some 400,000 have been issued since 1998.
    We'll see. I hope not but as long as it's only the presidential election I can live with it. It'll have to be passed by referendum though so that'll give us a chance to argue against it.

Anyone born on the island is entitled to Irish citizenship by law.
    Doesn't mean this will happen. We will see. The Irish President is pointless anyway. The role has no power to do anything practically.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not without a referendum.

Doesn't mean this will happen. We will see. The Irish President is pointless anyway. The role has no power to do anything practically.

A lot like the english queen. Except elected. And much less expensive. And without the sense of entitlement. And minus all the ridiculous pomp.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not without a referendum.

Are you suggesting there isn't time for a referendum within the next five years?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are you suggesting there isn't time for a referendum within the next five years?
    I'm suggesting it's unlikely one will be held.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A lot like the english queen. Except elected. And much less expensive. And without the sense of entitlement. And minus all the ridiculous pomp.
    Or without the link to the historical past, or a prine source of tourist revenue and a unifying symbol instead of a retirement home for political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Manach wrote: »
    Or without the link to the historical past, or a prine source of tourist revenue and a unifying symbol instead of a retirement home for political parties.

And what a great past that was. A very proud and noble one with great intentions.

Manach wrote: »

Jacksparrow already addressed the past issue. The tourist thing is questionable at best and as for a unifying symbol? Holy jesus how did you come to that conclusion? Anyway, this is way off topic

We all know which one the world favours more. But that is besides the point. The position is just symbolic. You are basically voting for a person to go and cut the ribbon to open some Lidle stores.

We all know which one the world favours more. But that is besides the point. The position is just symbolic. You are basically voting for a person to go and cut the ribbon to open some Lidle stores.

Unionists are claiming to speak for the whole world now? Saints preserve us!

If its so inconsequential, why are you getting so worked up about all the Irish people finally having a say in who their president is?

Unionists are claiming to speak for the whole world now? Saints preserve us!

If its so inconsequential, why are you getting so worked up about all the Irish people finally having a say in who their president is?
    in reality the role is meaningless and holds no real weight. Is there any actual desire from the majority of people in Northern Ireland on this issue to be allowed to vote?

in reality the role is meaningless and holds no real weight. Is there any actual desire from the majority of people in Northern Ireland on this issue to be allowed to vote?

Id assume the vast majority of nationalists would like to have a say in who their president is. id also say theres more than a few unionist passport holders out there who wouldnt pass up the opportunity to vote for anyone who may stop a member of Sinn Fein being elected to any post. anyway, thats beside the point. the president of Ireland should be elected by all the people of Ireland

Not unless the people of Northern Ireland want to. Which should go to a referendum if it must.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I wouldn't want anyone who covered up child sex abuse being President, and according to his Niece that is exactly what he did for 20 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/adams-wanted-to-conceal-sex-abuse-allegation-29630587.html

Not unless the people of Northern Ireland want to. Which should go to a referendum if it must.

Yeah, we should allow a small minority of people to make a decision affecting the whole country, because that worked out so well before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I wouldn't want anyone who covered up child sex abuse being President, and according to his Niece that is exactly what he did for 20 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/adams-wanted-to-conceal-sex-abuse-allegation-29630587.html

I don't think this is going to blow over quite so easy for adams. In fact I could see this being the push for him to go out to pasture. Surely even some blindly obedient shinner bot types are now questioning the actions of adams on dealing with this matter. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

And as for the priest trying to hush up the abuse story that's hardly surprising. What's one more child abuse/child rape cover up for that so called church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Id assume the vast majority of nationalists would like to have a say in who their president is. id also say theres more than a few unionist passport holders out there who wouldnt pass up the opportunity to vote for anyone who may stop a member of Sinn Fein being elected to any post. anyway, thats beside the point. the president of Ireland should be elected by all the people of Ireland

The President of Ireland is not the President of Northen Ireland since Articles 2 and 3 were amended.

As for Gerry Adams to run for President, let us just ask his niece what she thinks of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Interesting idea, however the vote should be limited to Irish passport holders only.

Yeah, we should allow a small minority of people to make a decision affecting the whole country, because that worked out so well before
    There is two states on the Island. That is a reality. Time to face up to that. The people will choose if they must in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There is two states on the Island. That is a reality. Time to face up to that. The people will choose if they must in Northern Ireland.

Read the GFA, it is more complex (and always has been) than 2 separate states and the GFA deals with that. Allowing Irish people to vote for the president is entirely in line with the agreement.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Read the GFA, it is more complex (and always has been) than 2 separate states and the GFA deals with that. Allowing Irish people to vote for the president is entirely in line with the agreement.
    No it isn't. If that was the case, it would already be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No it isn't. If that was the case, it would already be happening.

Yes it is. It will be introduced in due course. The GFA is an agreement and a process.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yes it is. It will be introduced in due course. The GFA is an agreement and a process.
    It would need to be voted on. Go look up the facts. People in Northern Ireland can't vote for the Irish President.

Advertisement