Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking Quotation

Options
  • 15-05-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Looking to put a deck down before the summer this year. Got one quote so far for a 20x20ft deck for €2100 (materials and labor to install). Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have an idea of what this should cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

schmady wrote: »
    Looking to put a deck down before the summer this year. Got one quote so far for a 20x20ft deck for €2100 (materials and labor to install). Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have an idea of what this should cost?

hi. where are you based? my friend is providing carpentry service around dublin. i will ask him for price. but i think 2k is bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 schmady

I'm actually based in Galway so probably a bit far. I'm just trying to gauge what is reasonable for a deck of that size. If your friend knows what the materials costs for such a job should be that would help as I may do it myself yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

I'm actually based in Galway so probably a bit far. I'm just trying to gauge what is reasonable for a deck of that size. If your friend knows what the materials costs for such a job should be that would help as I may do it myself yet!!
    I would ring a Diy suppliers and ask them to give you a price for the materials for a 20' x 20' deck. The decking boards will be a standard price per length (unless you're going for something unusual like cedar) ditto the screws. The variables will be how high off the ground you want it to be, whether or not you want features like curves or railings, etc. And it's fairly easy to build a deck, you should give it a go!

Thanks Sedum and Sage, I'll definitely do that too. Its not going to be high off the ground just planning a basic shape to keep costs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

Thanks Sedum and Sage, I'll definitely do that too. Its not going to be high off the ground just planning a basic shape to keep costs down.
    Another good tip is too make the deck either the same length or depth as the boards, I think they come in 16' lengths, to avoid unnecessary cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

If your thinking of doing it yourself, Youtube is a great source of information and techniques for decking etc, also there are some good books available.

I constructed my own from a book after receiving some expensive quotes for labour alone, got a great sense of achivement when it was finished.

Another good tip is too make the deck either the same length or depth as the boards, I think they come in 16' lengths, to avoid unnecessary cutting.

Good tip - thanks!
    Bartyman wrote: »
    If your thinking of doing it yourself, Youtube is a great source of information and techniques for decking etc, also there are some good books available.

I constructed my own from a book after receiving some expensive quotes for labour alone, got a great sense of achivement when it was finished.

will definitely check youtube and do a search on amazon too. Thanks!
    To be honest the part I'm most nervous is the foundation for the deck - obviously want to make sure its strong/stable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

If any of your mates are handy and can use a spirit level, it should be straightforward enough. Draw it out (16" spaces between joists) and you have a good starting point.

Football season is over, so there should be plenty of help available, common currency is free beers ( after the work is done ):D

Thanks for all the input! I'll let you know how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We're having decking put in at the moment and I rang around a few builders suppliers to get prices. For a 4m x 5m decking I was quoted about 700 eur from most of them which included all materials, handrail, spindles etc.
    That wasn't for fitting as well though.

Might help give you an idea of prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

More expensive than stone.:eek:

Advertisement