Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick a phone?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Ok here goes im looking to get a new phone, i currently have a nokia N97 can be a frustrating phone. I know I dont want an iphone because I couldnt handle the texting on it, i would like the same kind of texting as my nokia.

Other than that im open to suggetions? Whats the best phone out there?

Ok just had a look a the the sticky on phone reccomendations there.

Would like it to have a good internet connection facebook email apps etc, be on the 02 network i think its the network im switching to seem to have the best bill pay options sick of meteors crap signal. No sliders or flips phones, touch screen or not dont matter. At least 5mp camera quality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I'm in fairly similar boat to yourself. Although I'm only joining the smartphone bandwagon. On o2 as well, best phones I've seen there are HTC Desire S or Samsung Galaxy S or Ace. Although in a few weeks Galaxy S2 is out and HTC release the Sensation, which will have dual core processor and 8mp camera. Might be worth waiting to see those.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Yeah right now isn't the best time to buy a new phone at all. If you can - wait until atleast July. All the new phones will be announced/released by then.

What do you mean by texting on iPhones? Have you ever used one to text with? I've had my fair share of good touch screen phones and it's definitely the best on-screen keyboard I've used. I usually text faster on it even then on my old HTC Desire Z which had one of the best slide-out keyboards there is. The only phones I can think of that I could text faster with was them old numeric style keypad phones. :D

If you mean by threaded text messages then there aren't many smartphones out there anymore (if any) that still use the old style of arranged by date.

Oh yeah and just a thing, o2 probably have the worst bill-pay options at the moment. You should look at the likes of 3, Vodafone and Meteor's, way more for the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I'm in fairly similar boat to yourself. Although I'm only joining the smartphone bandwagon. On o2 as well, best phones I've seen there are HTC Desire S or Samsung Galaxy S or Ace. Although in a few weeks Galaxy S2 is out and HTC release the Sensation, which will have dual core processor and 8mp camera. Might be worth waiting to see those.

I do like the sounds of that HTC Sensation do you know when thats being released? Generally not a big fan of samsungs nearly everyone I know thats had one has had trouble with them.

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Yeah right now isn't the best time to buy a new phone at all. If you can - wait until atleast July. All the new phones will be announced/released by then.

What do you mean by texting on iPhones? Have you ever used one to text with? I've had my fair share of good touch screen phones and it's definitely the best on-screen keyboard I've used. I usually text faster on it even then on my old HTC Desire Z which had one of the best slide-out keyboards there is. The only phones I can think of that I could text faster with was them old numeric style keypad phones. :D

If you mean by threaded text messages then there aren't many smartphones out there anymore (if any) that still use the old style of arranged by date.

Oh yeah and just a thing, o2 probably have the worst bill-pay options at the moment. You should look at the likes of 3, Vodafone and Meteor's, way more for the buck.

Yeh ive used one for texting I just find the whole keyboard texting a chore really, I have the nokia N 97 mini while not a great phone, it has the old style numeric texting on it in touch screen mode and that perfect, do not many phones have that anymore?

Ah for the bill that im getting of meteor which is 85 euro a month i get free calls ant texts to all networks, I can get that of o2 for 70, vodafone admittedly cant touch it, and I didnt even look at 3 because ive heard there network coverage is even worse than meteors?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭applejunkie

Emobile are doing unlimited calls and texts to any network for 57 euro a month , think it's cheaper if your an eircom customer

HTC Sensation is on vodafone website as coming soon. They were demonstrating it in CPW in Blanch over the weekend, well I think it was a whole HTC event, pity I didn't get to go. Probably middle/end June to get in before Galaxy S2.

O2 is the only service with decent 3G signal out my way. Emobile is strangely alrite when I consider Meteor is sh*te and they use same signal. Vodafone and 3 are just a no go.

Edit: It says June15th on amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-Sensation-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B004Z4SJ78/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305584995&sr=8-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Think ill be waiting till june then im liking the sounds of that htc desire, plus time to branch away from nokias last few phones hav been nokia ther lagging well behind now.

That deal on e mobil does sound good does anyone know if there signal is any use? I do be cracking up on meteor i work in tallaght and im forever loosing signal, sam in my house have to walk around sometimes to get a good reception im not paying 85 a month for that crap. Thats why i was thinking o2 aswell been told there sginal is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Testing it yourself is the only way to be sure. They can show u a little map in store and very good coverage is in a heavy colour, not so good is lighter. Funnily enough the lighter colour dominates once you go outside the towns and cities. They will still try to convince you that you should be fine. Test it yourself. It's your money at the end of the day.

Unfortunatly it means I'm stuck with o2. At least I can get 3G wth them when I'm upstairs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have you considered a WP7 at all? Very smooth and intuitive UI with some great games/apps and one of the largest growing development communities.

Seeing as you don't like typing with touchscreens here's one with a QWERTY keypad:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-venue-pro/pd?dgc=CO&cid=61593&lid=1626143

• Advertisement
Advertisement