Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Lyrics as tatoos

Options
  • 15-05-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I want to get a lyric tatooed onto the inside of my arm (a Morrissey lyric :) ). I was just wondering has anyone a) got a lyric done - if so where, do they still like it, b) where did they get the idea of font/size from as I havent really found a nice one yet and c) where did they get it done. I'm thinking of getting mine done in the place in Stephens green shopping centre as thats where I got my piercings done. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

I would think about this very carefully if I were you. Will it still be something that you'll like to look at in years to come? It's not easily removed after all. While I adore Morrissey and have done for a good five years now, how much do you like his lyrics and will they still represent how you feel in the future? Just think about it. Were you thinking of Smiths or Morrissey lyrics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Generic question gets generic answer.

Its a tattoo. Your liking of it will wain as time goes by. Some mornings you'll love it, others you'll hate it. Noone here can tell you whether or not to get it done. Ultimately it's up to you.

For what it's worth, I think it's a stupid idea. But then again, I like the idea of tattooing the name of a loved one across my heart. Different strokes(tattoos) for different folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I want to get a lyric tatooed onto the inside of my arm (a Morrissey lyric :) ). I was just wondering has anyone a) got a lyric done - if so where, do they still like it, b) where did they get the idea of font/size from as I havent really found a nice one yet and c) where did they get it done. I'm thinking of getting mine done in the place in Stephens green shopping centre as thats where I got my piercings done. Any advice greatly appreciated!
    I had lyrics tattooed on the insides of both my upper arms. They're from Metallicas "Nothing Else Matters".Made slight changes to the lyrics so that they would "fit" both my arms. The lyrics were/are very pertinent to a certain time in my life.
    I went online,picked a lot of fonts,printed the lyrics out the size I wanted,and went from there.I think the font should suit the lyrics-you'll know what looks right when you see it.
    And yes,I still like/love them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

I'm getting the lyrics "See the time we shared it was precious to me" from the song Revelry by Kings of Leon tattooed in the next few weeks. You obviously want the Morrissey lyrics tattooed because they mean something to you so you will always like them. As far as choosing a font I always use dafont.com. You can print out the lyrics in the font and size that you want. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Electric Red

Hey Dangerdfunt, thanks for the advice, that site has loads. Thinking something Gothic at the moment. The Lyrics are something I keep going back to and I dont think the meaning that it holds for me will change any time soon either.

JohnnyCrash glad you still like yours, I havent really seen too many people go down the lyric route but its something that I think looks wicked awesome so hopefully I'll get it done soon!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I have lyrics tattooed on my shoulder. I saw an image of them written by the artist who created them and figured no other font would do them justice so maybe try go for something like that?

Thats a really great idea jenizzle, I might look into that and see what that turns up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I have lyrics on my back from an incubus song.

a) I still like it.
    b) my tattoo artist
    c) colourworks in temple bar

The really annoying thing is people trying to read my back all the time. Get so many people stopping me and asking can they read it.
    I went in to get just lyrics written, wasn't sure of font and size, Rob in colourworks did a great job on it and turned out so much better than I thought it was going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mniccaba

I have bell x1 lyrics on my back. I got stars and shading around it. I have it 3 years and I still love it. I couldn't imagine not having it on me. I will agree with cookie jar about people stopping you to read it though. It happens all the time. My fiancé has lyrics from a smiths song on his forearm, it's the reason I started a conversation with him so it's not always a bad thing!

Thats really cool mniccaba. What smiths song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I have a quote from a favourite book tattooed on my rib cage. My only regret is that I didnt get it done bigger. It was my first tattoo, got it done quite small and its looking blurry now. I still love it though. If the words mean something to you now and have done for a while, they still will later on.

Im a big fan of tattooed words, whether they be lyrics, literary quotes, a prayer, whatever - if done well they look amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mniccaba

Thats really cool mniccaba. What smiths song?

he has there is a light and it never goes out on his forearm, it kind of wraps around. we're both planning on getting more lyrics done, this time from hand in glove. i think you should go for it, if the lyrics resonate with you then they most likely always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have lyrics from Okkervil River, the White Stripes, Dire Straits and Paul Simon tattooed on me. Lettering is fundamental in tattooing - don't let anyone tell you different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    I'm getting the lyrics "See the time we shared it was precious to me" from the song Revelry by Kings of Leon tattooed in the next few weeks. You obviously want the Morrissey lyrics tattooed because they mean something to you so you will always like them. As far as choosing a font I always use dafont.com. You can print out the lyrics in the font and size that you want. :D
    Great song :D

Advertisement