Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescued baby thrush from my adopted wild cat! Need care advice please!

• 15-05-2011 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

I wrestled a baby thrush from one of my four cats yeaterday evening (originally wild when strayed to us as kittens & less than a year old so they're very agile!).

Have the chick in a cardboard box stuffed with straw & a hot water bottle under it. Im hand feeding it bread soaked in water and pieces of dog food. It's still too young to feed itself. Im not going to leave it back outside in case the cats get it, but i dont know what else to do. dont want it getting domesticated as it will not be able to get released.

I understand that its tail feathers need to be around 3-4" before it can fly, & this little one has none.

Im also starting my final exams in the morning for the next two weeks so dont know how ill manage unless I take it with me to Maynooth from Kilkenny. It's an inconvenience but I'll do my best!

(Im also open to adoption offers if anyone has the time to take on a baby bird!)

Anyone got any advice???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check out the website wildlifematters.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bjackson

Great site, thanks so much for that. Just discovered that the bird is dead now, it was fine when I posted the thread earlier today, but these things happen i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

BJackson: Check out this amazing thread on the nature and wildlife forum. It's very interesting but you have to folow it from the beginning :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969588

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Leave things be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Birds caught by cats will die of shock even if they are rescued uninjured.
    It's terrible, but that's what cats do, better to leave them to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement