Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Password for Eircom router.

Options
  • 15-05-2011 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Does anyone here know how to change the password for the eircom router?

My internet has been extremely slow for the pass week. I was on the routers homepage (http://192.168.1.254) and in expert mode and I was browsing through all the options, I looked at the LAN Statistics. Here it lists all the computers connected to the router and there's a computer connected to my router that shouldn't be. I think it must be one of my neighbours. I want to stop this person for accessing my router. I don't even know how they were able to access it in the first place. Will changing my routers password help? How do I do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Go into your wireless settings (not in expert mode) and see what your wireless security is if its WEP change it to WPA ..The old WEP encryption can be cracked very easily by a site online specifically set up to hack into the older security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

The wireless wireless security is set to WPA - PSK. It always was.

oh i see .can you not change your password from the wireless setting screen on your modem ?change it to a very random password so the person cannot access your router again it seeems odd that they were able to crack your WPA-PSK password tough its usually WEP that is easier to crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Does anyone here know how to change the password for the eircom router?

My internet has been extremely slow for the pass week. I was on the routers homepage (http://192.168.1.254) and in expert mode and I was browsing through all the options, I looked at the LAN Statistics. Here it lists all the computers connected to the router and there's a computer connected to my router that shouldn't be. I think it must be one of my neighbours. I want to stop this person for accessing my router. I don't even know how they were able to access it in the first place. Will changing my routers password help? How do I do this?

Hi Fortune_Cookie

if you have a look at this link it will show how to improve your wireless security. This tutorial may aslo help.
    Let me know if this does not help.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The default Eircom router name "eircomXXXX xxxx" give away the password. There's an android app (and probably other ways) that tell you the password from that code if it is left at the default.

You'd be surprised how many people leave it as the default :-D

• Advertisement

The default Eircom router name "eircomXXXX xxxx" give away the password. There's an android app (and probably other ways) that tell you the password from that code if it is left at the default.

You'd be surprised how many people leave it as the default :-D

Is the Android app able to crack the WPA-PSK passwords or is it only WEP the OP had their password set to WPA which i tought could not be cracked like the older WEP encryption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

jay93 wrote: »
    Is the Android app able to crack the WPA-PSK passwords or is it only WEP the OP had their password set to WPA which i tought could not be cracked like the older WEP encryption ?

AFAIK just WEP. It uses the numbers on the SSID to generate the code.

Ah right it would be like that website that also has a generator by entering in the eircom SSID major security flaw for security TBH!

Advertisement