Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does everyone do with old wheels?

• 15-05-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Just upgraded to Mavic Aksiums, and am wondering what to do with my old Shimano RS10s. Rear has a broken spoke, front is perfectly functional.

What can I do with them? Do people hoard these things in case of future emergencies, or just dump them? Can they be recycled? Will a bike shop give me a tenner for them, even just for the spokes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'll take them off your hands if you want to give them away. Otherwise you could probably sell them on here or on adverts, some-one will probably take them if they're cheap. Or you could fix the broken spoke and keep them as a back-up/training wheels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

buffalo wrote: »
    Will a bike shop give me a tenner for them, even just for the spokes?

I'll give you a tenner for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

buffalo wrote: »
    Just upgraded to Mavic Aksiums, and am wondering what to do with my old Shimano RS10s. Rear has a broken spoke, front is perfectly functional.

What can I do with them? Do people hoard these things in case of future emergencies, or just dump them? Can they be recycled? Will a bike shop give me a tenner for them, even just for the spokes?

I cut the spokes off and use them to make route markers (with zebra tape taped on) Cliff when he was in CycleLogical gave me a pile of old spokes before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cheers for the responses guys, at the moment I'm just seeing the options. Fixing the spoke and using it as a turbo wheel was at the forerunner of my choices to being with, but I thought I'd see if people got creative. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

There's also the option of stripping out the hub and spokes and using the rims as hula hoops. Or if you've spare wheels lying around why not buy yourself a new frame to go with them rather than let them going to waste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

222747_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

why not buy yourself a new frame to go with them rather than let them going to waste?

A mate of mine, who already had a bike, bought a LIDL bike for the excellent groupset and finishing kit. Then he bought a carbon frame and transferred everything onto it. But then he had a frame so he bought a full ultegra groupset, a finishing kit and a set of wheels.

Now he's looking for a bigger house.

Advertisement