Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year

• 15-05-2011 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Just wondering people's opinions on deferring entry to college and taking a year out, is anyone planning on doing it? If so, what are you planning on doing for the year?

I did Transition Year, and am 19, so veering on the side of being too old. Lately I feel I really need time off education, but am unsure as to if its down to the increasing pressure with the exams edging closer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Just wondering people's opinions on deferring entry to college and taking a year out, is anyone planning on doing it? If so, what are you planning on doing for the year?

I did Transition Year, and am 19, so veering on the side of being too old. Lately I feel I really need time off education, but am unsure as to if its down to the increasing pressure with the exams edging closer.

I was thinking about it but I have no money so I'd just be working for the year - No travel or that! :(

Plus, I'd hate to go to college 2 months short of being 20 and all my friends being in 2nd year! :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If i were you i would do your degree in College and then go travelling for the year. When nyou are in college anyway you might end up going to Thailand or on a J1 so once college is over you can expand on those travels.

I would never see a break between LC and College as a good thing. College is 70% play, 30% hard work if your good. 90% play and 10% work if your an average joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd advise it.

In my class, three people took a year out and then started college and they seem better for it. Two did the travelling/working around Australia thing and one did volunteer work in the Middle East.

Its a good idea if you're unsure of what you want to do. And also, it is sometimes good to have a break from all the study.

I wouldn't worry about being older than others in your class. One or two years is not going to make a difference! This is coming from someone 10 years older than most in her class. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I am planning on deferring for a year, but just to get my health in order, not to go travelling or anything fun, sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I will be deferring a year if i get the course i want. The sound idea knowing that the course i REALLY want will be there for me in a year after i get the traveling bug out of my system will be reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Mine would partially be to get my health in order. I was ill during Transition Year, and spent most of the year in hospital. My body was given little time to recover between hospital and getting back into school. Although, health wise I'm pretty okay now, the pressure and stress is really taking its toll. Mine wouldn't involve travelling at all, but I was thinking of doing volunteering in some form or another. I'm really in two minds though.

Advertisement