Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilizer

Options
  • 15-05-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does anyone have any recomendations on sterilizers? We were looking at Dr Brown and Avent. Does anyone have any preferences?

And would you recommend the electric sterilizer or the microwavable one?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vectrahed

well as i have kids myself, i have only ever used the advent steam sterilizer

so ill say the same one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For electric the avent iq 24 hour one or the boots own brand 48 hour one.
    The boots one is probably the best as you can fit anything in it!
    For microwave you can buy small travel sterilisers that look like lunch boxes, they cost less then 10 euro and are brilliant for traveling or home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had the electric avent steriliser, for my last 2 boys, worked a dream but because we live in a hard water area had to descale it often.

If i had another one i would the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Steam steriliser definitely the way to go.
    We have the Tommee Tippee one and it's been brilliant (The newer model looks like it's more space saving too) - you can sterilise bottle lids with caps on in it, not sure if that can be done in the Advent.?
    Also had the Tommee tippee microwave steriliser lunchbox which is handy for travelling etc.

One thing I would say about the bottles/teats themselves - don't wash them in the dishwasher as they generally get discoloured from any food residues that are in there... usually a manky orange colour! (Yes tomatoes, I blame you!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tommee Tippee microwave steriliser on my two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I have a microwave Avent one and my Mum has the electric Avent one (I think its Avent anyway) for when I'm staying there. I use Dr Browns bottles and they fit fine in it (3 bottles fit in the microwave one and 4 in the electric one).

I don't think there's a huge difference between the microwave vs electric ones. The microwave one is handy if you don't have much counter space because you can store it in the microwave, but the electric one would be handier if you are planning any trips away as you could just plug them in anywhere and wouldn't need a microwave.

They both take around the same amount of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was just thinking the other day how much abuse our Avent steam one has taken in the last 2-3 years without a single complaint. Would recommend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

Just curious, does no-one use a cold water Milton steriliser any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I did with my first 12 years ago but only because i was breast feeding and it was pointless having a big steriliser, i only needed it for a botle here and there. Steam ones are so handy and no taste off the nipple of milton.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We had a tommee tippie steriliser but it broke fairly quickly. I opened it up to take a look and it had fried the chipboard inside. Went up to Mothercare and bought their own brand model for a fraction of the price and it has been working away steadily for a long time now. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

I loved my Milton steriliser. Just when I saw the thread I realised I haven't seen one in yonks! I used the "skinny" bottles too, all I see now are the short stumpy ones! I'm going to stop talking now, I'm showing my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I started out with a steam steriliser, but when it died a death I resorted to a big tub and milton. Granted my little one was about 7 months ata that stage. I found it fine though. The smell isn't strong, and you can sterilise anything!!! I was throwing plastic toys in, all sorts. Thats something you can't do with the steam based sterilisers. Very cost effective too, I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

I use the Avent Microwave one and I find it very good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Tommee Tippee steam steriliser here, it worked great but I didn't really keep up the de scaling schedule and it eventually corroded through to the electrics. My girl is turning 4 this Saturday and in my minds eye it seems like 10 years since I've used a steriliser.

Advertisement