Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Project Maths be marked easier this year?

• 15-05-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm in sixth year atm and I'm in one of the pilot schools for project maths.:mad: I need a C3 which I would get if I was doing the old course.
    I just did a sample paper 1&2 (which I had seen and done bits of before) today and marked it with the marking scheme, I got 56%, scraping the C3.
    I've been told that the pilot school students will be "looked after" and that project maths "can't fail", is this true?
    I really need the HC3 as I've hardly any other options.
    I think it's ridiculous the way we have no idea what to expect in June, they give us a sample paper, then say they set the standard too high, then they send out another one and decide to knock bits questions off the course.:mad:
    I got 41% in the mocks, 75% of the class failed, I presume this wouldn't be allowed happen in the LC, would it:confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

According to our maths teacher (we aren't doing project maths) it would be too embarrassing if most Project Maths students scored lower than the previous (my) syllabus so they are going to try to make your paper relatively easy and ours relatively hard to make it look like they didn't make a mistake going with this whole Project stuff.

(That's just my teacher opinion, she's mad as a ferret sausage though so who knows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

It'll be easy enough this year and next, potentially 2013 as well. All new courses aren't marked that hard until people get used to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That would be extremely unfair then. Why should the pilot schools be conferred an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've a hypothesis that the 2010 paper (old course) was easier than normal so the Project Maths crowd wouldn't have an unfair unadvantage. That said, the marking scheme for the 2010 paper was far more harsh than normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will be marked so that roughly the same percentages get A1, A2 etc.

The SEC cannot have a situation where one year's exam in any subject is marked easier than another. It would undermine the whole integrity of the exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement