Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War with China

• 15-05-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Would it be a conspiracy theory to suggest that the US will likely be involved in a war with China in future? During the cold war, everybody thought that Russia and the USA would eventually fight each other, yet it never happened {directly}. However, the fact that china is a communist country, an abuser of human rights and likely the next superpower, is it in the US's/the West's interests to allow a country like China become the next superpower? I know this is a pretty week argument for a war but what cause would likely spark a war between the US and China?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

No, the US rely on China with regards their economy. I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Nuke beijing - no more debts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Cannot see it hapenning - but then history's riddled with instances of people/governments not seeing it happen - so.....actually, yes the States will probably invade alright...!:)

Honestly though, if the Cold War between the U.S. and Russia demonstrated anything, it was that a balance between two (relatively) equally matched opponents kept a Hot (i.e. nuclear) War from actually happening.

Following from this, if Russia and the U.S. kept from fighting with one another - and they were diametrically opposed economic and political systems - then surely war between the U.S. and China has to be ruled out given that:

(i) China is really only Communist in terms of its political system - economically it's about as Communist as a Big Mac served in a Starbucks mug

(ii) China AND America's respect for human rights can both be questioned on a variety of levels

(iii) China has a population of around about a billion people and a considerable base of resources and manpower that the U.S. would prefer not to tangle with...

the list goes on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Britain and Germany traded heavily with each other right up until the declared war in 1914. I believe the head of the Bank of England went to Asquith with tears in his eyes begging him not to go to war as they would be economically ruined.

German's biggest trading partners in 1939 were Britain and France. In 1941 Germany's biggest trading partner was the Soviet Union.

Besides, the Chinese rely on the US to buy their stuff as well.

What I'm try to say is that just because they are trading partners doesn't mean war won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

isnt it normally the case where two super powers go to war, another power emerges as the dominant while they're killing each other? if this is the case it probably wouldnt be in their interests to fight each other as it would be ruinous for both sides

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think it's more likely that one or the other will try to dominate economically, technologically and politically, therefore affecting the stances of other countries around the world and their resources and strategic positions. A shooting war benefits neither side. China needs the Western world as a market, the Western world needs China as a source of cheap goods. A technological cold war is already on the go IMO. A good example of this is Pakistan allowing China (let's not pretend they've not already seen it) to see the remains of the stealth helicopter. China has made good inroads with the political side of things, making huge investment in Africa and on other continents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 MickJB1989

There's already an economic war going between the US and China, and for the tine being at least, China are winning! Whether it'll heat up is anyone's guess. I certainly doubt it wil happen in the immediate future, America still has it's eyes on Iran and North Korea (yes, Obama has dulled this slightly, but he won't be in officer forever). Actually, if NK act up, I reckon you could see a joint action between China and America to resolve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/05/18/top.chinese.general/index.html?hpt=T2

Chen said the Chinese people would object to too much military spending or an effort to catch up to the U.S. superpower status. "The Chinese people would simply say no."

As if they have that choice, who're ya trying to kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/chinese-video-game-glorious-mission-chooses-us-army-for-its-enemy/

New Chinese video game - 'Glorious Mission' (which PLA infantry are training with!) pits China v US... its a complete rip of call of duty, and i suppose its about time US were the bad guys in a game. But on a side note - is anyone concerned about China rehearsing war with US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Locust wrote: »
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/chinese-video-game-glorious-mission-chooses-us-army-for-its-enemy/

New Chinese video game - 'Glorious Mission' (which PLA infantry are training with!) pits China v US... its a complete rip of call of duty, and i suppose its about time US were the bad guys in a game. But on a side note - is anyone concerned about China rehearsing war with US?

The crap Codemaster Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Red River games (not to be confused with the original brilliant Operation Flashpoint) have the US Marines vs the PLA.

All armies prepare to fight the next big war, and plan for many contingencies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement