Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling Ham

Options
  • 15-05-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to boil a joint of ham in the oven. The packaging says to boil in a pot of water for 1 hour and I would like to set the oven to turn itself on so that the ham would be cooked when I arrive home from work, so my problem is what temperature to set the oven for. As water boils at 100 deg. this would seem to be a sensible choice however I realize this may be too simplistic. Should I be using a slightly higher or lower (to prevent all the water boiling off) ? How much longer should I add to the 1 hour boiling time to allow for the pot of water to start to boil while the oven is heating up ? I'm using a modern fan-assisted oven.

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure on the temperature as you'll want to cook all the way through to avoid any bacteria. Time tends to be dependent on the weight of you're cooking, too...I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Best boil it on the hob first, then finish it in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Usjes wrote: »
    As water boils at 100 deg. this would seem to be a sensible choice however I realize this may be too simplistic. Should I be using a slightly higher or lower (to prevent all the water boiling off) ?

A lower temp and the water won't boil, but it would still cook.
    even at a higher temp, the water won't get hotter than 100 degree.
    I'd boil it on the hob normally and just give it a blast in the oven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Elisabeth David has a recipe for cooking a joint of ham in the oven, I can't remember the original source, but it's reproduced in the compendium "A South Wind through the Kitchen". The ham is placed between two strong sheets of foil, the edges of which are sealed tight. The ham is then placed in the oven on a rack above a roasting tin of hot water. Times and temperatures depend on whether the ham is to be cooked through, or glazed later. I'll check the book at home and post these details tomorrow. I always found it a handy recipe, especially for christmas when the stovetop was busy, and no steam for the kitchen.

Recipe calls for temperature of 170 degrees (conventional oven), times are 50 minutes per lb, and leave for 40 mins in foil after. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I regularly boil ham in the oven. Its great, and works well with the timer
    on the oven.

Put some slices of onions, carrots, and apple in a casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid. Add bay leaves, and pepper

Put the ham joint on top and add water.
    There is no need to fill the casserole as the ham will cook in the steam.

I cook a small 1kg ham fillet for 1.5 hours at 160 C.

If the lid is not tight on, use a layer of tin foil to make sure it is well sealed
    to avoid the steam from escaping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement