Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I need some help...

• 15-05-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

My mentally deficient sister got a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft, and she gave them remote access to my dad's computer (which he has business tracking programs etc. on) because she's a total dimwit.

We all have our own computers which we use through a wireless network at home, and none of them were connected to the network at the time, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to ensure that the computer hasn't been irreparably compromised. My mother and I would regularly use dad's computer for checking internet banking etc. so obviously we're a bit anxious to make sure that we're not at risk.

We haven't used the computer since and she "didn't realise" that she shouldn't follow the person on the phone's instructions. (Who the hell doesn't realise these things? She's in her early 20s for christs sake!)

None of us are particularly proficient when it comes to computers - we can do the basics, but nothing technical.

Any and all advice welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Turn off remote access if it's on(google this for your operating system).

Go into add and remove programs and look for some odd programs like logmein that shouldn't be there (unless you actually installed them).

This is the above that LIGHTNING was on about. It'll take awhile so if a re-install is an option then do it.

If not then when you turn it back on to go online to update/run the Virus scanners, do it in safe mode with networking, with most computers you keep pressing F8 after you press the power button to turn the computer on to get the option to enter safe mode.

Give it a few days before you do this incase they installed some new ****ty virus, it'll give the Anti-virus companies time to update there definitions database.

Use one of the online scanners aswell, like eset.

Eh, that's all I can think of now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

I'd also do a scan with Spybot search and destroy or something similar too.

21/25

Advertisement