Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa help sought

Options
  • 15-05-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am very new to the idea of emigrating to Australia, but I am pretty sure I want to! Re: the 457 sponsorship visa, does any body have any tips for finding a sponsor company? I am hoping to continue working as a painter/decorator!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

457 is not emigration, its only a temporary stepping stone towards emigration.

If you are in Ireland and are looking for a sponsor then best to get on www.seek.com.au and start applying for jobs, although not entirely impossible it is very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod First tip - read www.immi.gov.au - this explains the visas
    second tip - search the forum - there is LOTS of info on 457 visas

since you have given us nothing apart from you are a painter would be very hard for us to help you.

If you are in Ireland it would be tough to find a sponsoring company as a painter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 motorbikemania

Thanks to both of you for the help so far. Is there a better way to do things?
    I am 34 with a wife and 2 young kids. I have always been self employed up until about 18 months ago, but I've been without real work since, due to the downturn.
    I'd prefer not to lead to a long drawn out application so thats why I was looking at this type of visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

what the lads have said is correct, to go a step further, i would recommend coming over here and studying the lie of the land ourself, it is nigh on impossible to achieve sponsorship from ireland.
    at the minute i am in canberra, it is absoutely bursting with construction, esp in the housing sector, which would be tailored to the needs or a painter/decorator. perth will be another good option for you. good luck with your quest!!
    PS. mandrake is a very helpful chap and has given me advice in the past, take note of any info he gives!!
    :D

Thats very helpful, thanks for the help. Regarding the skilled migration visa, they say you should have been employed for 12 of the last 24 months..... Does that mean I would not be eligible for that visa? I have not been idle during that time as i was doing a course!

• Advertisement

Thats very helpful, thanks for the help. Regarding the skilled migration visa, they say you should have been employed for 12 of the last 24 months..... Does that mean I would not be eligible for that visa? I have not been idle during that time as i was doing a course!

Plenty of people have been caught out with that one.

I think that is changing after 1st July to 3 out of the last 5 years as a minimum, that should allow for people that situation.

nice one! thanks for the help!:)

Well, it looks like I may have found a sponsor.....I contact lots of companies in my line of work over the last week or 2 and it looks sorted!
    The next step I am wondering about is, does anybody know how tough or easy it is to apply for the 457 visa yourself? Is it worth getting a company like visa first, or just apply yourself?
    Visa first seem quite expensive!
    Thanks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is the company sponsoring not sorting that for you. They want you over why are you doing the application?

I think I have the stuff sorted!

It is a three step procedure.

• Advertisement

I'll let ya know how I am getting on.......
    All your help is gratefully received!

Visa charges are here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/employer-sponsored-temporary.htm

By the way, by following these steps,I will save 2000 euro on the price Visafirst quoted me for being a middleman!!!!:D

I think I have the stuff sorted!

It is a three step procedure.
    No offence to Motor good simple break down here.

But has anyone who has been through the process able to verify these steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »
    No offence to Motor good simple break down here.

But has anyone who has been through the process able to verify these steps.
    Yes those are the steps, its pretty simple.

If the employee has already sponsored others recently they will have already completed step 1.

All 3 applications can be lodged at the same time, or if the company lodge step one and two, then they'll contact you to let you know you can lodge step 3. You don't need to wait for stepa 1 or 2 to be approved before lodging step 3.

I'm still waiting on step 1 to be approved, backlog apparently. Immi have range me and informally told me that steps 2 and 3 are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobby09

Hey OP we're in a similar situation! My boyfriend got offered sponsorship with a landscaping company in Canberra, from Ireland. Hey just emailed people (landscapers/ tree surgeons) and a lovely guy offered to sponsor him.

Anywho as you mentioned, theres 3 steps to the visa approval. We're approved for Step 1, but it hasnt moved any further in months. I think it's because our sponsor is very slow in getting in his documentation in. We've all our info in for step 3 but they obviously cant process it til until step 2 is sorted. The only prob is we're both finishing up our jobs in Ireland in the next month/ 6 weeks and we cant go to Oz til this gets sorted and processed! So fingers crosssed we'll get news soon. Anyway best of luck with application

gobby09 wrote: »
    We're approved for Step 1, but it hasnt moved any further in months. I think it's because our sponsor is very slow in getting in his documentation in. We've all our info in for step 3 but they obviously cant process it til until step 2 is sorted.

Not true, Part 3 can be processed at the same time as part 2.
    In fact it can be processed the same time as part 1 also.

how do you know you are approved for part 1?
    Have immigration contacted you regarding part 3? You visa application itself

^ Mellor is correct it can all be lumped in and lodged together, although step 1 is where some people have issues that are outside of their control... not all employers are eligible to sponsor. In that case the whole thing could be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobby09

We can see the progress of the application online using our TRN. It says step 1 is processed, step 2 says need more information, (so thats where our sponsor was asked to show more info about a contract and wages, and prove he cant get an australian to do the same job) and step 3, our bit, says being processed further!! So this leads me to believe our sponsor is just slow getting the further information needed bit. Theres not a lot we can do only sit and wait!

I think you need to check the status of step 1 with the TRN again.
    I can only comment on my own application, but when I lodged, processed or processing came up very early on (along with "fee recieved")

It actually said "Sponsorship Approved" when it was complete.
    They may well ahve the info from the employer and it being reviewed by the case officer

I sent out lots of emails and applications and I have had a few offers of work, but a few employers have said that they would be willing to sponsor me if i was able to do a trial...... (I am not seeking payment)
    So I bought a ticket to Cairns today to go for to go and take up their offer. I know they will be happy when they see my work!
    I am confident that by going for a month, that I can come home with a sponsorship offer and apply for my visa. I will then have a few weeks to prepare for going away.....
    I'll keep ya posted!

Motor you are basically saying you are going to come over and do a trial with an Employer. This under Australian law is illegal you can not come to Oz on a tourist Visa and perform any work.

You are risking a lot and so is the employer allowing you to work for him without a working VISA. You could be deported and the employer fined.

Mind how you go.

• Advertisement

I have to agree wit Zambia, you are asking for trouble. The company might not be too happy with your lax attitude towards immigration law. Considering they have to vouch for you and agree to be inspected by immigration

Someone on Poms in Oz went for a similar trialwith the promise of sponsorship, said he worked for a month and thought he was going to to get cash in hand..... the employer didn't pay and when yer man asked for his money the employer wouldn't pay up said that it was a trial and that it was illegal to pay someone on tourist visa money for work. Your man paid flights, accommodation to work for free for a month and then fell out with the employer at the end of it don't think he got sponsored.

Suppose there is one born every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DEVILSROCK

Hi i have been reading threads everywhere and think this one applies to me, I have a friend in melbourne that has agreed to sponsor me . I have been looking on www.immi.gov.au and think 457 visa is applicable to my situation . my details ...painting/decorator in Ireland , my friend is a partner in a painting firm in melbourne ...ok so he basically says there is a job for me ,told me to apply from here but as ive read above he has to be approved as a sponsor ...steps 1 2 3.. does this mean that he starts the process and then contacts me to apply ? would appreciate help as im confused..thank you

If the company has sponsored somebody in the last few years they'll be approved already. In that case they nominate you for sponsorship, and you apply for the visa. Step 2 and 3. Step 2 requires specific info about the company so unlikely you can do it for them.
    All steps can be lodged together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How much does it cost the employer to sponsor i always hear different amouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

zweton wrote: »
    How much does it cost the employer to sponsor i always hear different amouts?

See costs on this page.

Hey, did i read somewhere that you have to be earning over a certain amount for a company to sponsor you?

Yeah, I believe it's $49k - but it's reviewed each year so may be up slightly

Ah thats fine so, thanks.

• Advertisement

For 2012 it's $51,400

Advertisement