Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien "The Rage" Rooney Signs deal with Cage Contender

• 15-05-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Any views on this?
    It has today been announced that top leading Irish Bantamweight MMA fighter, Damien ‘The Rage‘ Rooney (MMA (8-2-1)/CC 2-1-1) has just signed an exclusive deal with top Irish MMA promotion Cage Contender. The popular Newry man fights out of (Fight Academy Ireland) but has also trained with the HIT Squid (America) and a number of times in Thailand. Damien’s last fought for Cage Contender was back in April (2011) were he knocked out Mark Conner in the very first round. This is what Damien had to say about his exclusive deal with Cage Contender.

“Cage Contender is arguably the top promotion in the country at the moment and I’ve fought for them 4 times before and they have always been good to me. So when John came to me with the offer and told me what his plans were I was more then happy to go ahead with it. I’m just back in the gym training hard and looking forward to my next fight being announced“

We also caught up with the creator of Cage Contender, John Ferguson to talk about this exclusive deal.

“This is the first time we have signed a fighter exclusivly to the promotion, and to be fair we couldn’t have chosen a better guy to do it with than Damo. He has always been a total pro in any dealings we have had. He has fought on the promotion a number of times and he and his management realise that at this stage of his career its important that he is fighting on televised shows to get maximum exposure.“

http://fighthounds.com/mma/the-rage-signs-exclusive-deal-with-cage-contender/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

He seems willing to fight the best but it's now in Cage contenders interest that he wins

Is that good?

And obviously the promoter will come on and say it does not matter if he wins but thats just bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

He seems willing to fight the best but it's now in Cage contenders interest that he wins
    How?
    Is that good?
    Is what good?
    And obviously the promoter will come on and say it does not matter if he wins but thats just bull.
    How do you work that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

I think it was only a matter of time before this happened.
    In my opinion its a good thing for Damien and the Cage Contender team. The only draw back would be if Damien was given a shot on one of Europes biggest shows and had to turn it down.
    How it turns out in the long run for the rest of Irish MMA remains to be seen. It has good points and bad points. Will be interesting to see if anyone else gets signed up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Does it mean he can only fight for the one promotion now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

_oveless wrote: »
    Does it mean he can only fight for the one promotion now?
    Yup it does. Will be interesting to see who else gets signed up

• Advertisement

If he can only fight on one promotion, doesn't that severely limit his potential as a professional fighter?

If he can only fight on one promotion, doesn't that severely limit his potential as a professional fighter?
    His own choice to sign also I presume that there'd be a clause about ufc/bellator/strikeforce coming for him. Plus CC has alot of exposure for an irish show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Think this is a good thing as Damien is an established fighter and always getting praise on the European Fight Network. Top europeans will want to fight him and this will bring better fighters to CC.

Yup it does. Will be interesting to see who else gets signed up

Question answered :)HERE

Do you have a set number of fighters you want signed to the promotion John or are you just playing it by ear?

• Advertisement

Do you have a set number of fighters you want signed to the promotion John or are you just playing it by ear?

At this stage Ray we have a few targets, thats about it

It'll be interesting to find out who gets signed up alright, probably can think of one or two who you'd be interested in, shall look forward to more announcements so

It'll be interesting to find out who gets signed up alright, probably can think of one or two who you'd be interested in, shall look forward to more announcements so

HERE you are Ray, something a bit closer to home :)

HERE you are Ray, something a bit closer to home :)
    Honestly didn't expect himself, nice one for him!

Honestly didn't expect himself, nice one for him!

Lol you know me Ray!! Its best to expect the the unexpected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Great stuff. Delighted for Paddy. He's a fantastic prospect and an electrifying fighter to watch.

Is that good?

After this bull**** statement (only one of many from u) what is your reaction to the fact that Damien will be fighting Paddy Holohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

As I don't want to disagree with cowzerp I still feel that John it is great that u can come on here and state ur facts as a owner it's refreshing and why I like cc.

Good for you

cowzerp wrote: »
    John as a father of a child with special needs I find your statement insulting, this sort of talk is out of order, please have some respect for others when trying to put people down.

This sort of writing is posted on here way too often and needs to stop.

Post has been edited Paul. No offence intended. And I'm sure all of those on this forum who have used the expression in relation the same user didn't mean any offence either.

Yes Paul I prob have used that term or a term equal to it and must appologise no offence is intended on my and I'm sure anyone's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thanks lads, i know I'm been sensitive but I hope you get where I'm coming from, good night and that will be a great fight..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I'm unsure of Ireland's elite fighters signing exclusive deals with specific promotions.

Do you think the promotions in Ireland will be able to bring the elite European competition to Ireland or will promotions have to stage events on the UK mainland or elsewhere in Europe to make these fights happen?

I sure if something came along promotors would work together to get what's best for both brands. It's not like they are signing number 1 guys it's guys who's next few fights will be uk ranking related. It's after say Rooney signs after this one expires we might be talking like this. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Odd decision by Rooney - seems like he's just limiting himself to 1 promotion - what's the benefit for him? I can't think of one. What if another promoter wants him to fight abroad for more money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

its almost like he thought about it, weighed up the pros and cons and figured it was his best option so went for it...crazy

its almost like he thought about it, weighed up the pros and cons and figured it was his best option so went for it...crazy

Can you name one benefit for Rooney about the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

obviously i have several reasons...i signed paddy holohan to the same promotion!
    as for having a chat about why with an anonymous poster on a public forum about it, i'll pass :)

obviously i have several reasons...i signed paddy holohan to the same promotion!
    as for having a chat about why with an anonymous poster on a public forum about it, i'll pass :)

Why did you bother replying if you've nothing to say?

I can't think of 1 benefit. If CC wants to pay him to fight, they can do that with our without an exclusive contract. All the contract does is limit him to 1 regional promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

* BTW. I don't follow the Irish MMA scene - I was hoping this magazine would help me start, but it doesn't.

- Forest Master, 25.05.11

• Advertisement

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    - Forest Master, 25.05.11
    How is that relevant? I don't follow Irish MMA, so that magically means I know nothing about the benefits & drawbacks of exclusive contracts? :/
    Cant see how you're making any connection there. Nice try at PWNing me though. Pity it fell so flat.

My guess is that there's a clause in the contract that allows the fighters in question to fight on other promotions as long as they keep their commitments to cage contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

How is that relevant? I don't follow Irish MMA, so that magically means I know nothing about the benefits & drawbacks of exclusive contracts? :/
    Cant see how you're making any connection there. Nice try at PWNing me though. Pity it fell so flat.

Didn't fall flat brosive, you are what I like to call a guuuuuber.. :cool:

Big benefit of an exclusive contract is the certainty of getting paid and promoted with a great organisation. I know a lot of fighters have to put food on the table for more than themselves..

Best of luck Damo and Paddy with the new contracts, cant wait for the fight :)

My guess is that there's a clause in the contract that allows the fighters in question to fight on other promotions as long as they keep their commitments to cage contender.

If he can still fight elsewhere, why have a contract? So he "keeps his commitments"? Surely if he was booked on a CC show, he'd be expected to keep his commitments with or without a contract?? Isn't every fighter expected to keep their commitments if they take a fight? What's the difference?
    da-bres wrote: »
    Big benefit of an exclusive contract is the certainty of getting paid and promoted with a great organisation.
    But if CC like Rooney, couldn't they book him & pay him for fights with or without a contract?

Still no good rebuttals, lads. John Kavanagh says he has a few, but he can't say what they are for some reason. :rolleyes:
    The contract doesn't seem to have any point to it. If CC want to book Rooney & he wants to fight for CC, then what's stopping either party doing that without an exclusive contract in place? Nothing. So why have the contract?
    If I'm wrong, correct me with tangible FACTS, lads - not smart comments. What does this contract enable both parties to do that couldn't just be done without it? :confused:

If he can still fight elsewhere, why have a contract? So he "keeps his commitments"? Surely if he was booked on a CC show, he'd be expected to keep his commitments with or without a contract?? Isn't every fighter expected to keep their commitments if they take a fight? What's the difference?

But if CC like Rooney, couldn't they book him & pay him for fights with or without a contract?

Still no good rebuttals, lads. John Kavanagh says he has a few, but he can't say what they are for some reason. :rolleyes:
    The contract doesn't seem to have any point to it. If CC want to book Rooney & he wants to fight for CC, then what's stopping either party doing that without an exclusive contract in place? Nothing. So why have the contract?
    If I'm wrong, correct me with tangible FACTS, lads - not smart comments. What does this contract enable both parties to do that couldn't just be done without it? :confused:

To be honest I don't get it at all either, and seemingly the people who have the details wont, or cant, shed any light on what the contract actually entails. Also I've learned from this thread that if you ask the wrong questions you get lashed out of it, which is kind of disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

John Kavanagh says he has a few, but he can't say what they are for some reason.

Not that John needs me or anyone else to speak for him, but I think he did give you atleast 2 reasons as to why he wouldnt go into details, firstly even tho he posts as SBG Ireland, we all know who he is. Who is the man behind the name "forest master"?? It is easy to take swipes from behind an anonymous user name.
    Secondly I doubt Damien Rooney would like people publicly speculating about his contract with CC. That is between him and Cage Contender... if you are that interested, why not try direct your curiosoity to John Ferguson... good luck with that! Damien is a professional fighter, this is his living, shall we discuss you employment? oh wait..... we dont know who you are?

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't get it at all either, and seemingly the people who have the details wont, or cant, shed any light on what the contract actually entails. Also I've learned from this thread that if you ask the wrong questions you get lashed out of it, which is kind of disappointing tbh.
    Yeah, the dubious silence from Fergie gives the impression it's likely a case of them not actually having a good answer when confronted with my simple questions. And there's also no reason for not spitting it out - it's odd that John Kavanagh is acting all "oooh we have many awesome reasons, but we can't say what they are because it's all top secret & I won't discuss it with a mere peon like you on a forum". That doesn't even make any sense. Why would the BASIC PURPOSE of even having the contract be such a mystery? I didn't ask for specific terms or payment obligations. I just pondered why it's required at all - 1 good reason - just 1! Why announce it if you can't even say WHY it needs to exist?

So how is this any different to any other fighter fighting in any other organisation when both parties agree to it? Seems like a profile-boosting gimmick IMO. Unless someone can explain otherwise.

Cue the nut-huggers dribbling & huffing & puffing at me now & getting all defensive because I asked a simple question. Or maybe "EnjoyChoke" will make another awesomely irrelevant post about how my questioning of this contract isn't valid because I posted somewhere that I like scrambled eggs or something. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

How is that relevant?

Someone who "doesn't follow Irish MMA" arguing with the "founder of Irish MMA" about an Irish MMA contract. Comedy gold.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Not that John needs me or anyone else to speak for him, but I think he did give you atleast 2 reasons as to why he wouldnt go into details, firstly even tho he posts as SBG Ireland, we all know who he is. Who is the man behind the name "forest master"?? It is easy to take swipes from behind an anonymous user name.
    Secondly I doubt Damien Rooney would like people publicly speculating about his contract with CC. That is between him and Cage Contender... if you are that interested, why not try direct your curiosoity to John Ferguson... good luck with that! Damien is a professional fighter, this is his living, shall we discuss you employment? oh wait..... we dont know who you are?
    My business is irrelevant to this. It doesn't matter who asked the question - how does that make the question any less valid? Basic logic.

To summarise - I'm getting jumped upon for asking a simple question about a thread I didn't even start, about a press release I didn't even make. I only asked a simple question.

And rather than even discuss the simple question I've raised (i.e. the pros or cons of the contract), I've had people make irrelevant comments about me, asking who I am, asking about my business, about my employment, calling me a guuuuber (whatever that is), ... all because I asked a simple question.
    So why are people getting abusive, evasive & defensive because I posed a very simple, and obvious, question about a PUBLIC press release?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

To summarise - I'm getting jumped upon for asking a simple question about a thread I didn't even start, about a press release I didn't even make. I only asked a simple question.

about a sport, you have twice acknowledged you dont follow...

but i'll take a stab at an answer for you, and i am open to correction by both John F or Damien Rooney if they choose, but i see 2 pors for you, firstly it gives Damien exposure on the biggest promotion on the island, and 2ndly it limits the number of fights Rooney could take (thats a pro for CC btw) and i guess a con for Rooney, given the 30 day ( or possibly 28day) lock out.

I didnt think, i was abusive, evasive or defensive, as for asking you about your personal details, i think youll find i didnt, i stated that you are an anonymous username, where as most other people who have contributed to this discussion, are either using their own names, or if using pseudonoms, are known to most on here.. with regard to your business and your right to keep it private, you are correct, it is your business! and so is Rooney's cotract with CC! the existence of the contract is public knowledge, but nothing else, and so it should remain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Because you are behaving extremely disrespectfully. This isn't the UFC, the athletic state athletic divisions and their kin do not force the publication of fight contracts. John Ferguson presumably announced this fight contract on a public forum because it's great publicity. It's a great coup for him to have an exciting and young fighter fight exclusively for his organisation for the next few fights. It gives him greater scope for arranging and scheduling fights when he knows key members of the roster are exclusively signed to him.

For the fighter they get a bit of security and consistency to the fights they will take. They have a better idea of who and when they will be fighting, what rules and what promotion. They know that by limiting themselves to the Cage Contender organization they know they will get the high quality treatment they get with the CC org for their upcoming fights. They know JF tries to match fights fairly, only books guys he knows won't mess him (or them about) and they know their purse is guaranteed and there will be no trouble with bouncing checks.They've traded flexibility for security.

Not that's all just conjecture on my part, I don't speak with or even know any of the guys in Cage Contender or the guy with exclusive contracts. Your questioning has been rude and disrespectful. You're not owed anything by anyone, no one owes you an answer to your questions, you're not entitled to have your questions listened to and answered. The contracts are in the public domain and this is a public website but everyone is free to ignore everyone else as much as they want. Drop your attitude and if you have genuine questions and concerns genuine parties will endeavour to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

And rather than even discuss the simple question I've raised (i.e. the pros or cons of the contract), I've had people make irrelevant comments about me, asking who I am, asking about my business, about my employment, calling me a guuuuber (whatever that is), ... all because I asked a simple question.
    So why are people getting abusive, evasive & defensive because I posed a very simple, and obvious, question about a PUBLIC press release?

Because you touch yourself at night. And are also a douchebag. In my own honest opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think it's a good thing, as a fight fan point of view.

Parke vs Price was put off due to injury and other matches being made to get in the way. When CC runs on a 3 month basis unlike the UFC, then it's going to be great for us that we have a few signed fighters who won't or can't be tied up on other promotions.

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Someone who "doesn't follow Irish MMA" arguing with the "founder of Irish MMA" about an Irish MMA contract. Comedy gold.

So you're saying the godfather of Irish MMA is above answering questions?
    Shane Fitz wrote: »
    about a sport, you have twice acknowledged you dont follow...

Oh dear, you really are slow aren't you? Where did I say I didn't follow MMA? I said I don't follow the Irish scene. Do you know the difference?
    i see 2 pors for you, firstly it gives Damien exposure on the biggest promotion on the island,
    Again - you're not the brightest. I've already said 3 or 4 times - how can he not still just be booked by CC if there was no contract? It's as if you didn't read my posts or can't grasp simple concepts.
    and 2ndly it limits the number of fights Rooney could take (thats a pro for CC btw) and i guess a con for Rooney, given the 30 day ( or possibly 28day) lock out.
    Right, so it's a con for Rooney - EXACTLY what I said in my first post ITT.

Great post - really on the ball there... :rolleyes:
    Because you are behaving extremely disrespectfully. This isn't the UFC, the athletic state athletic divisions and their kin do not force the publication of fight contracts. John Ferguson presumably announced this fight contract on a public forum because it's great publicity. It's a great coup for him to have an exciting and young fighter fight exclusively for his organisation for the next few fights. It gives him greater scope for arranging and scheduling fights when he knows key members of the roster are exclusively signed to him.

For the fighter they get a bit of security and consistency to the fights they will take. They have a better idea of who and when they will be fighting, what rules and what promotion. They know that by limiting themselves to the Cage Contender organization they know they will get the high quality treatment they get with the CC org for their upcoming fights. They know JF tries to match fights fairly, only books guys he knows won't mess him (or them about) and they know their purse is guaranteed and there will be no trouble with bouncing checks.They've traded flexibility for security.

Not that's all just conjecture on my part, I don't speak with or even know any of the guys in Cage Contender or the guy with exclusive contracts. Your questioning has been rude and disrespectful. You're not owed anything by anyone, no one owes you an answer to your questions, you're not entitled to have your questions listened to and answered. The contracts are in the public domain and this is a public website but everyone is free to ignore everyone else as much as they want. Drop your attitude and if you have genuine questions and concerns genuine parties will endeavour to reply.

For all the goons in this thread jumping all over me, this is the first post that makes sense & actually raises legit points & answers some of my questions. Since my first reply, and besides John Kavanagh, it's as if you're the first person to reply who has an IQ higher than his show size.
    Makes a refreshing change from the "lol you don't even follow MMA - you said it twice!!1" and "you're a douchebag" and "john kavanagh is the god of irish mma - he doesn't need to answer your mortal questions. Now where did I put my John Kavanagh action figure?!".

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I think it's a good thing, as a fight fan point of view.

yes if all the top lads sign for 1 promotion but what if cage warriors sign the no1 and cc sign number 2, that's not going to be better for the fans.

On a side note, let's not get personal here lads, people can question all they like and people can not answer all they like too, just because you dont like someone's views does not give you rights to abuse them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

yes if all the top lads sign for 1 promotion but what if cage warriors sign the no1 and cc sign number 2, that's not going to be better for the fans.

On a side note, let's not get personal here lads, people can question all they like and people can not answer all they like too, just because you dont like someone's views does not give you rights to abuse them.

Let's say had JF gotten to Cathal before CW did. If Cathal signed exclusively for Cage Contender and the number 2 signed for Cage Warriors knowing that he could never be definitively be called number 1. He should head hunt Cathal then sign :D

Of course it could cause problems, i was more basing it from a in theory point of view if the best fighters were signed to the one brand, forgot about CW signing Chris and Cathal.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    forgot about CW signing Chris and Cathal.

Also Neil seery and John Donnelly who many feel are Irelands no 1 at there weight divisions and signed 5 fight contracts with CW.

so although the Paddy v Damo fight is great and 1 im excited about people will still feel Neil is no 1.

Also Neil seery and John Donnelly who many feel are Irelands no 1 at there weight divisions and signed 5 fight contracts with CW.

so although the Paddy v Damo fight is great and 1 im excited about people will still feel Neil is no 1.
    Exactly.

Which I why I can't think of 1 benefit of the contract for Rooney. He's now limited, with no apparent perks except "guaranteed fights" - but who has a hard time getting fights anyway? Especially people who win - there are always shows in the UK & ROI that need pro fighters with good records. Why tie yourself down & limit your options? If you're a good fighter with a good record, you'll have no trouble getting fights.

Exactly.

Which I why I can't think of 1 benefit of the contract for Rooney. He's now limited, with no apparent perks except "guaranteed fights" - but who has a hard time getting fights anyway? Especially people who win - there are always shows in the UK & ROI that need pro fighters with good records. Why tie yourself down & limit your options? If you're a good fighter with a good record, you'll have no trouble getting fights.

It is true, the fighters could pretty much fight on every show they wanted and could choose to just fight on 1 promotion without a contract easy enough if they wanted that,

From the promotions point of view they can definetly plan ahead for future shows and i can only speculate that the contract would be better than standard pay for single fight deals otherwise i would not see the point in it.

As far as how much money there paid if the fighters and promotion don't want to put that out in the open thats there business and should be respected, Questions on how contract works are fair inmy opinion once they dont go into personal details such as money.

It is true, the fighters could pretty much fight on every show they wanted and could choose to just fight on 1 promotion without a contract easy enough if they wanted that,

From the promotions point of view they can definetly plan ahead for future shows and i can only speculate that the contract would be better than standard pay for single fight deals otherwise i would not see the point in it.

As far as how much money there paid if the fighters and promotion don't want to put that out in the open thats there business and should be respected, Questions on how contract works are fair inmy opinion once they dont go into personal details such as money.

And that is exactly all I was asking. They put out a press release saying that a contract exists, and to quote myself: "I didn't ask for specific terms or payment obligations. I just pondered why it's required at all".

A simple answer like "well, he now gets more pay from CC than he was getting before" would suffice - it's not saying how much, but it explains how there is a tangible benefit to Rooney for signing it. Otherwise it seems to be only benefits for CC, while Rooney has limited his options & exposure potential.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement