Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What small dog would suit me?

• 15-05-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been thinking about getting a dog for a (very) long time and am going through the research phase to find out about breeds that might suit me. I would love a house dog which gets on very well with children. We live on a farm and I am an avid walker so plenty of exercise is assured. Also, our house is rarely empty so she (I would prefer a girl) would have plenty of company. I think I would like a toy dog and price is not an issue. Please suggest a dog for me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

honeybear wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been thinking about getting a dog for a (very) long time and am going through the research phase to find out about breeds that might suit me. I would love a house dog which gets on very well with children. We live on a farm and I am an avid walker so plenty of exercise is assured. Also, our house is rarely empty so she (I would prefer a girl) would have plenty of company. I think I would like a toy dog and price is not an issue. Please suggest a dog for me. Thanks.

Get in touch with a rescue organisation such as www.adogslife.ie who will put you in the right direction for homing a dog.
    Don't get me started on 'price is not an issue'. There is no need to purchase a dog, when so many are being destroyed because people have bought the wrong one in the first place.
    BTW no-one can suggest a dog for you, without knowing your full particulars - members of family, size of garden, how often it will be exercised etc.
    So basically- rehome a dog from a pound - as per the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Should have mentioned that all our dogs to date have been from rescue homes. It's the breed and suitability that I am hoping for an input on. By price, I meant upkeep e.g., feeding, medical expenses, grooming needs etc. I have been a very responsible dog owner in the past and have first hand knowledge of the brilliant work animal rescue homes do. I hope that I did not offend anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

For a dog that's good with children, I'd say either a Cavalier or a Bichon Frise or something :) They're both really really friendly and good house dogs. Bichons need a lot of grooming though, and would probably need professional trimming every 2 months or so. Cavaliers need some grooming, but just a brush once a week really. They're active dogs and like walks. Their personalities are really great :)

Bichons don't have many health problems, but possibly skin conditions. Cavaliers can have serious health problems, but going to a good breeder would help a lot.

They're the best small breeds I can think of to go with children, because I've never met ones that weren't nice :) You could probably find them, or cross breeds of them with other dogs, in rescues.

But really if you want a rescue dog, then I'd just go look at small dogs, and see what their personality is like when you meet them. That's the good thing about rescues I guess, if they're adults, you already know what their personality is like. And get one that suits you, because what one person likes, another person might not

Good advice-thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

I've a Bichon Frise, He's an excellent house dog. Great with kids he honestly wouldn't hurt a fly and always eager to go on "walkies"! Unfortunately Bichons do need to have their hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks or else it gets in his eyes! My fella is 10 years old and has had a relatively health problem free life except for minor issues with his knee joints but I wouldn't let that discourage you from considering this breed. Also do not worry about having to brush him/her as I would say I have brushed mine about twice in 10 years it really does not make a difference unless you want to bring him/her to dog shows but in everyday life there is no necessity whatsoever !

Good Luck with your search :D

J x

• Advertisement

Thanks justified-Bichon sound like a very suitable match. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Just came across this little fella this morning:
    http://www.madra.ie/en/gallery.html?func=detail&id=935

Looks like a Cockalier to me (cavalier x cocker spaniel). Would be perfect for you if you'd consider a male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I am fostering a dog at the minute, she is a two year old jack russel. Very friendly dog, an absolute dote to have in the house, crate trained. She was in a foster home for two months with eight kids, 6 dogs, cats, rabbits and a parrot!

She is in Galway but a homecheck and transport can be arranged outside of Galway if needed. Let me know if you are interested in her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The only thing people forget when suggestion small or toy breed dogs for kids is that toy breed dogs are delicate and kids can drop them or hurt them especially little ones like Bichons they looks so cuddley but underneath the fluff they've tiny little bones.

Bichons and farms might not mix ie very white dog plus farm yard = lot of grooming. They are a lovely dog but have become so popular now I would be wary of some people breeding them purely for profit so be very careful where you buy if you choose to buy one.

Terriers are great but if you have chickens etc. they do like to chase small critters.

Lot of small dogs in rescues irishanimals.ie have a big list of rescues all over the country with photos and a bit of info. on the dogs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

A Jack Russell might be good. I had one as a child from an early age and found it a great companion.

I have one now, actually - a little female.

They're very attached to people, and really are lap dogs in the sense that they are very cuddly. They also love being inside. They are fascinated by everything you do, and are very playful. They have tons of personality.

But they need exercise no doubt - so you being a walker is good. Once they have their walks they will snooze most of the afternoon.

They're also quite low on vets bills, as they tend to be strong and sturdy.

The best thing is that you never need to buy one. They're so plentiful that all rescues will have one almost at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Not a toy dog, but have you tought about a glen of imaal terrier.
    Check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

were abouts are you in the country,Dogs trust in ashbourne have some lovely dogs at the moment,also check out irishanimals.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Wrighty82

Some of the rescue welfare groups have been sticking their dogs up here.

http://www.buyandsell.ie/categories/rescue-dogs

Loads of them these days. I think though whether they are big or small a rescue dog is always more work, especially when they had a rough start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wrighty82 wrote: »
    I think though whether they are big or small a rescue dog is always more work, especially when they had a rough start.

No they're not always more work. Sometimes they can have issues of course - but if you know about how most rescues rehome - the dog will go into foster first. So any potential problems will be noticed and dealt with. If the problem is too big for a potential owner the dog will not go to their home. I can promise you'd have less problems with a rescue dog and more support from the rescue for the life of the dog, than you would from a bad breeder.

What a sweeping and saddening statement. No wonder it can be so difficult to rehome dogs when people not only have this attitude but also state this as fact.

EDIT: my apologies - you didn't state it as fact. Just fixed the quote there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 honeybunny.ie

Hi, I have a teacup yorkie and she is brilliant- very loving personality, loves to play and no hair loss :D
    However if you're considering a toy dog make sure it is not easily hurt- I wouldn't recommend a teacup yorkie with small kids for example. But perhaps a "normal" or small yorkie?

Advertisement