Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths

• 15-05-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

hey there , anyone know what the deal is with the theorems we are meant to cover on the course ? our teacher hasnt done any work on them apart from telling us they exist ?!? i have been doing past papers recently too and i havnt noticed many of them at all coming up ? Info please anyone ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

They come up every year. Well almost every year.

Some of them are in a revision book (It's called Essential Study Guide or something, it's by Folens) but I don't think they're in any text books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They're in Text and Tests 4 and 5 anyway. They're honestly not too bad. Most of them rely on similar techniques so there really isn't a huge amount to learn.

A proof of some form is on the papers every single year from what i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

There's a huge amount of trig proofs. You have to prove all the identities that are in the tables and a few others.
    There's 6 derivatives you need you could be asked to prove as well as the product and quotient rules.
    There's also the perpendicular distance between a line and a point formula and the angle between two lines formula.

I think that's it...

Oh, and De Moivres theorem and using it to prove a few trig identities

It really isn't as bad as it sounds though.

All of the Trig proofs can be proved using geometry or even vectors if you're that way inclined.

Calculus is all about Induction and Differentiation from First Principles (And Geometry for Integration)

The rest of the proofs are all quite ok.

All of the Trig proofs can be proved using geometry or even vectors if you're that way inclined.

I like your way of thinking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

(And Geometry for Integration)
    Woooah, what integration proofs are there? :confused:

There's a good few proofs, but just know the graph (if applicable) and method and they're grand, usually you can do the working out yourself, there's no need to rote learn them.

Although it's getting a bit late in the day to not be having theorems done. :-/

jumpguy wrote: »
    Woooah, what integration proofs are there? :confused:

There's a good few proofs, but just know the graph (if applicable) and method and they're grand, usually you can do the working out yourself, there's no need to rote learn them.

Although it's getting a bit late in the day to not be having theorems done. :-/

Don't worry, there aren't any :)

Don't worry, there aren't any :)

There is one integration proof I thought?

There is one integration proof I thought?

Integration by parts?
    You don't need to be able to prove it

Deary me... looks like I'm not the only one who needs to up the maths study :D. There are two integration proofs. One for the volume of a cone and one for a sphere.

• Advertisement

Deary me... looks like I'm not the only one who needs to up the maths study :D. There are two integration proofs. One for the volume of a cone and one for a sphere.

Another proof... Proof I am always right..! :P

Oh yeah, forgot about those! :o

Well I'm in college so it doesn't matter to me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ohh yes! I don't really count them as proofs...for some reason. :cool: Yesss...that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

And the area of the circle. Its a diffucult enough one but hasnt been up for ages.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Ohh yes! I don't really count them as proofs...for some reason. :cool: Yesss...that'll do.

Yeah, they're more "applications".. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Digits wrote: »
    And the area of the circle. Its a diffucult enough one but hasnt been up for ages.

whaa? why dont I know about this? are there any examples of how it's done anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You should be able to get the area under a curve by integration. To get the formula for the area of a disc, just get the area under the top half of the circle x^2 + y^2 = r^2, and then double it.

Area of a circle isn't on the course, it's volume's you need to compute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Area of a circle isn't on the course, it's volume's you need to compute

How do you figure that the area of a circle by integration couldn't be asked?

Integration of functions of the form sqrt(a^2 - x^2) is on the syllabus, and so are applications of definite integrals to areas. (Both on page 15 of the syllabus: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN)

Advertisement