Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Graveyard on barrow track

Options
  • 15-05-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

hi can some one point me in the right direction?? I want to know more about the graveyard in Carlow town on the barrow track, its history, why they put the grave there in the (today) middle of no where,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

tonyheaney wrote: »
    hi can some one point me in the right direction?? I want to know more about the graveyard in Carlow town on the barrow track, its history, why they put the grave there in the (today) middle of no where,

You can see it from the Barrow track but there's an entrance off of Grave Lane (which is off the Athy Road opposite the Hospital/Seven oaks)

http://www.carlow.pl/en/old-cemetery

and there are a few more of my photos of it on flickr

kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Thanks Nag, the graveyard is in such disrepair it almost makes me cry, so many head stones broken and unreadable, what is that tiny building at the back and middle of the GY???

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

This is what your looking for..
    Abbreviation of Tombstone transcripts from "The Graves" Barrow Track, granted during the reign of James 1. 1603-1625 for the burial of Catholics of the town of Carlow.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Old_Graves.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alice burroughs

My mother Alice Burroughs was born in the Woodcutters House near to the Rochfort Estate. Her grandmother worked for the Rochforts. I was reading the posts about the tunnel under the house. My mum has told us that the tunnel ran from her house to the big house and that her father once hid someone there from the black and tans. She remembers a loose flagstone and one day her brother and his friend were investigating it and her dad was very angry and warned them away. My grandfather was William Burroughs and my grandmother was Emily Wynn. She says she is sure that the tunnel went from her house which was by the wood on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Laura Dowling

hi alice.. my grandad was william burroughs who lived in that house on killeshin hill with the tunnel under it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

My mother Alice Burroughs was born in the Woodcutters House near to the Rochfort Estate. Her grandmother worked for the Rochforts. I was reading the posts about the tunnel under the house. My mum has told us that the tunnel ran from her house to the big house and that her father once hid someone there from the black and tans. She remembers a loose flagstone and one day her brother and his friend were investigating it and her dad was very angry and warned them away. My grandfather was William Burroughs and my grandmother was Emily Wynn. She says she is sure that the tunnel went from her house which was by the wood on a hill.
    hi alice.. my grandad was william burroughs who lived in that house on killeshin hill with the tunnel under it.

So are ye sisters or cousins?

im not sure? i think 3rd cousins ill need to speak to her so i can be sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

im not sure? i think 3rd cousins ill need to speak to her so i can be sure?

If ye have the same grandfather, ye are 1st cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

tonyheaney wrote: »
    The graveyard used to be central to the town. Unfortunately the town was allowed to expand in a lopsided manner and if it keeps going Tullow will be a suburb. Some bright spark renamed Grave Lane as Park Lane.

testicle wrote: »
    If ye have the same grandfather, ye are 1st cousins.

no we are 3rd cousins her grandad is my great grandad.. they have the same name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Probably a bit o/t, but there are two old graveyards at rear of Clonmelsh quarry. One is right at the back of it, the other is down the fields and dates to 1725.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

bogof wrote: »
    The graveyard used to be central to the town. Unfortunately the town was allowed to expand in a lopsided manner and if it keeps going Tullow will be a suburb. Some bright spark renamed Grave Lane as Park Lane.

Well there was a children's park there before they tore it down to build those houses - the swimming pool there used to be great 11'6" deep end and very little by way of diving rules :)

Advertisement