Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK: Scotland and Northern England/Midlands

• 15-05-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

May aswell kick this one off,

So I'm currently on a scottish road trip where I will visit 6 camping locations up and down scotland, visiting all 3 national parks and travelling a minimum of 1500 I'm between campsites.

So to kick it off we visited cashal campsite in loch lomond, a nice campsite about 2 and a half hours from stranger where the ferry dropped us off, as you leave the town of Balkans towards the campsite bewar as a very steep hill leads to the road for the campsite, it's around a bend so you can't really pick up speed on the approach but it's very steep and was a struggle to get up.

The campsite is nice by screams the ownership of a large company that owns several sites, some might not understand what I mean by this but i feel there are 3 types if sites, the small family run one, which is nice and small and personal, the large one that is still personal, but seems like a love child of the owner as it is well kept and they couldn't do enough for you, and the facilities are usually the beat they can be, then there is Cashel campsite which us part of a large company that owns several sites and the staff can be impersonal, the layout us generic but works like clockwork, everyone gas their preferance but I personally like the middle one.

Anyway, Cashel paid a lot if attention to motorbikes etc. But not camping, the campers were but in hilly spots under trees and away from the fabulous views, the ground was near impasible to get a peg into with the stones but we found a wa. No fires after 10 pm, fair enough I guess but I didn't see the problem, but it was vigerously enforced. Staff was 50% nice and 50% unconnected completely, facilities were perfect with a random code system to enter the toilet\shower block, something which I couldn't see the significance of, somebody here could maybe enlighten me. The "beach", as advertised, was man made and fairly bad, could easily be cleaned up and utilised but unfortunately this is often the downside of these types of sites as they don't have the attention to detail as elsewhere.

The camping shop was good, better than ireland but not the best.

Overall a good campsite, probably wouldn't go back in a hurry, would rather try somewhere else as nothing jumped out and grabbed me, but that's just me

I will keep updating as I travel around, Glen Nevis in fort William next !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BDIs

anybody any updates for scotland, we are only caravanning 2 yrs but feel a trip further a field might be on the cards. looking for somewere thats relativatly easy to get to, great for a 6yr old child with light walking/cycling (suitable for said 6 yr old) and some sight seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

Hi all, We have been in Scotland, England and Wales for the past 9 years along with sites on the continent. I have found that the best campsites for facilities in the UK are run by the caravan club. The staff are professional, helpful and the sites are kept immaculate. Try the site at Glencoe and see fantastic sights. The last thing you need is to find poor, dirty, badly run sites that all to common in Ireland. I have found the CC by far the best and totaly stress free.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Heading to Scotland next month, mostly around Loch Lomond with maybe a trip over to Edinburgh. Any hints, tips or recommendations on things to do or see would be great. Family of 4, kids are 10 & 7 pretty sporty, active, outdoor kind of family. Thank you

Advertisement