Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 month old boy sleeping patterns

• 15-05-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi

My son is 4 months old and recently we have knocked out the 4am feed , he was being fed every 4 hours so we would feed him at say 6pm and put him down at 8pm and he'd sleep till we woke him at 11-11.30pm to fed him.

Then he would sleep on till 5.30 - 6 , however over the past 4 or 5 days we have kept up this routine and he is waking up now at 4am and my partner has to sooth him with the pacifier till he nods off again an hour later.

Any ideas as to why is he is waking up earlier than usual ? ( i must state we only recently had him sleeping to 6am for 10 days ) so we though he was in a routine but seemly he isn't :)

we started him on solids 4 days ago , so any ideas would be really helpful to keep him asleep. we have been watching his sleep during the day and he doesn't sleep loads , its pretty strict , so in the hope he'll sleep at night and wee need our sleep too :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You started him on solids at four months? what are you giving him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

'From' 4 months is ok to start introducing solids. Baby rice and veggie puree's etc... How much are you feeding him? 2-3 spoonfuls is more than enough and ony really once a day to begin with. Of course, he may not be ready for solids and this could be the cause of the upset. Maybe try a few days without the solids again and see how that works for you.

If he needs to sleep in the day, let him! At such a young age babies need lots of sleep for growth and brain development. It doesn't mean that he won't sleep at night, in fact, he'll pobably sleep better at night.

At 4 months, a babies routine is open to change at any time. Just because you had a routine going for 10 days doesn't mean that you should get too comfortable with it! His routine will change 100 times before he is 1 and it'll have your head wrecked! Especially once the teething pains kick in (which could be starting now btw!)

I'm afraid you're just going to have to work with the little fella and eventually he will get into a routine that sticks and you will start being able to sleep all night - Just don't expect it any time soon! Until then, enjoy the exhaustion and count your blessings on the nights that he does sleep through.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

we started him on solids 4 days ago , so any ideas would be really helpful to keep him asleep. we have been watching his sleep during the day and he doesn't sleep loads , its pretty strict , so in the hope he'll sleep at night and wee need our sleep too :)

Sleep breeds sleep in small children, shorter naps isn't necessarily going to mean a longer sleep at night. My guy is 4 months too, he has a 1 hour nap in the morning, 1-2 hours after lunch and 1 hour in the afternoon. Goes to bed around 9 and sleeps through until 7.30ish. He gets 2 solid meals a day, baby rice + fruit in the am and veg puree for dinner - although Crazy cat lady there's no way 2-3 spoons would satify my fella, he shouts if the spoon doesn't go into his mouth fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

DM addict wrote: »
    You started him on solids at four months? what are you giving him?

started him on baby rice , then next day apple puree , then pear puree and tommorow carrotts puree , then potatoe puree etc , apple & pear mixed with rice and he's eating around 3 t-spoons at the moment

we have the Anabel Karmel book on introducing solids

you should introduce one food every few days at that age. there's nothing wrong with what you're giving him, but that's too much variety too soon. his digestive system will not be happy.

daytime sleep is also pretty much essential at this age. he's going to need a good few naps during the day. as posted above, trying to set a sleeping routine for a four month old isn't going to work much, and it isn't going to do him a lot of good. by all means have set times for feeding, and if he likes a sleep after a feed then schedule that in, but you need to be flexible. there's a LOT of physical development going on at this stage that makes routine setting tough. In a couple of months routines will start to develop.

• Advertisement

you should introduce one food every few days at that age. there's nothing wrong with what you're giving him, but that's too much variety too soon. his digestive system will not be happy.

daytime sleep is also pretty much essential at this age. he's going to need a good few naps during the day. as posted above, trying to set a sleeping routine for a four month old isn't going to work much, and it isn't going to do him a lot of good. by all means have set times for feeding, and if he likes a sleep after a feed then schedule that in, but you need to be flexible. there's a LOT of physical development going on at this stage that makes routine setting tough. In a couple of months routines will start to develop.

well the Anabel Karmel book suggests otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

well the Anabel Karmel book suggests otherwise

I don't think your little fella agree's with what Annabel Karmel has to say....

I'm sure Annabel Karmel's book is lovely in it's own way, but as with all these things you need to adapt them for your child's needs. You're much better off doing what your baby wants than what some book says your baby wants.

I'm sure Annabel Karmel's book is lovely in it's own way, but as with all these things you need to adapt them for your child's needs. You're much better off doing what your baby wants than what some book says your baby wants.

i 100 % agree , but the gf thinks what is said in books goes , etc

im of the opinion " every child is different " so what works for some may not work for others etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dorisd

They say now try to wait till 6 months before you give them solids, its changes all the time. On my first child it was 12 wks its changed 3 time since then. Every child is different but its worth a try taking him off for a few days and see if it makes a difference??. Shorter or longer naps in the day don't mean they will or wont sleep at night. I really thing it depended on the child e.g. my 4yr old hasn't had a nap in the day since she was 1 but my 7yr old would still have a nap wherever he falls car/sofa.

Its also possible he could be teething?

Trial and error I say, but one thing that most times worked for me was the last bottle before bed was always different for the others. It was after bath-time (even a quick dip) upstairs in a quite and dark room. I done this from birth and I found it calmed and relaxed them and they fell into a deeper sleep. If your not doing this already maybe its worth a try:)

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some kids will never be good sleepers.If it is any help this is what I do..

Providing that we are at home!

Bed time is in her basket,nap time is anywhere.
    I do not wake her for night feeds anymore,if she is hungry she will wake herself.
    I give a bottle instead of breast before bed.
    She has her little teddy that she cuddles in to.
    She goes to bed at night when I go.
    Normally she sleeps from about 12 to 8 and whenever she wants during the day.

As for weaning I am very much a fan of baby led weaning,it is easy get caught up in the excitment of them finally being able to eat but they are all ready at different times.
    My older girl kept swiping at my food so we knew it was time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I always found when I woke jack for a "dreamfeed" he'd always wake early instead of sleeping through as I'd have expected. In the end we scrapped it, just thought we were actually giving him the habit of being woken rather than allowing him to sleep through. We fed him before he went to bed and left him wake when he wanted.

Is your son able to go to sleep by himself? By that I mean without being rocked, soothed, or without a soother? This was the only thing that got our guy through the night, teaching him how to fall asleep himself so that when he'd stir during the night he could put himself back to sleep.

I also don't think anyone should be lecturing on when/how to introduce solids. It's up to the OP and his partner to decide what suits their little one. I had to introduce solids at four and a half months with my guy because he had silent reflux and completely refused bottles. We had him on three meals a day inside a week and never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Great advice gowayouttadat.

There's no way Liam would have got to 6 months without solids, he was starting to look for milk every 1.30-2 hours. Even with solids he goes about 2.30-3 hours between feeds during the day. We were cautious for the first week or so but now he eats lots of different things - except baby rice which I don't blame him for it's very bland. He's just had mango, banana and lime for breakfast - he gets excited now when he catches sight of the spoon.

I also agree that it's good to get a baby into the habit of settling themselves to sleep - makes life a lot easier in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

People get very sensitive about this (and every aspect of child-rearing!). Every child is different, some are ready for solids early, others late, no one can say what is right for another person's child, no matter what their experience with their own children, no matter that they have written popular books or whatever.

In the OPs case, if the child was sleeping well and then shortly after starting solids has stopped sleeping so well, that would suggest that in his child's case, maybe it is a wee bit early or the variety of food is too much for now. Making that suggestion is common sense, it doesn't detract from anyone else's parenting choices.

my little man is like a bag of cats at 7ish when he is tired , so we take him in , change his nappy and dress him for bed and we put him in his crib with his teddy bear giraffe ( ethan :) ) and he nods off , we dont need to sway him or cuddle till he falls asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

You should google "four month sleep regression" It happens a lot with babies at this age because they're going through so many developmental changes. Learning to roll over, sit up etc. Very often it has little or nothing to do with what they are eating/drinking. The good news is that it's a phase and it will pass :)

Edited to add: there's a really good post about this on rollercoaster .....

Has your baby been "sleeping through" (defined as 4-5 hours in a stretch - not the 12 hours some people think) for some time, but now seems to have stopped?

Is he or she between 15 and 20 weeks and is suddenly waking up a lot overnight?

Confused as to why your "good sleeper" is no more?

You, my friend, are going through the FOUR MONTH SLEEP REGRESSION (or rather, your baby is... which means you are also not getting the same sleep!).

I often see posts about this, with mothers worried about what's happened to their "good sleeper" and lots of well-meaning responses that "he's hungry" and so now's the "time to introduce solids" or "change his formula."

Unfortunately, these are not usually the solution and parents end up more frustrated as to why their child is not sleeping as well as they had been. It's important to remember that there is actually little association between solids and sleep, so the early introduction of solids won't actually help your baby sleep better (and can cause some digestive issues later on).

Rest assured that this is only a phase, and understanding what your baby is going through, and knowing that it will end, helps enormously in terms of riding it out.

Basically, babies go through what some researchers have called "Wonder Weeks" in addition to growth spurts. These Wonder Weeks are intellectual developmental stages where babies are learning to process a whole lot of new information that they are suddenly become aware of. It's confusing, it's challenging and it freaks them out a little, and as their brains are on overdrive trying to makes sense of it all, they become a little clingier and a little fussier (some more than others), and their sleep is disrupted.

It's like if you suddenly woke up on an alien planet - all the information your senses are receiving is strange and confusing, you're not sure what any of it means or how to process it. You don't know how to behave and this zero gravity thing has you completely stumped as to how to walk around! It will take time for you to work through it all and eventually make sense and learn the skills you need to survive, but until then, you probably just need lots of reassurance from your loved ones to let you know you're OK.

There is a particularly nasty one at 19 weeks (give or take - and measured from EDD not birth date), which is otherwise known as the four month sleep regression. It usually starts a few weeks earlier - around 16 weeks and ends around 20 weeks - just in time for the cycle to start up again for the Week 26 wonder week (nowhere near as bad!). It IS a natural development stage and it IS something that will pass. The good thing is that at the end of it, they have new skills - and each wonder week is different in terms of what new skills your baby learns.

In terms of helping your baby through a wonder week, the easiest thing is to be as responsive as possible. They are looking for reassurance that all is right with the world - even though it's confusing them - and the only people who can provide that reassurance are their caregivers. Taking your baby into bed with you (particularly if you breastfeed) is an easy way to help you both get more sleep - the reassurance is there as soon as your baby wakes up. Fear not, this doesn't create any "rods for backs" (have you ever seen a 15 year old needing to sleep with their mother?), and is just a tool to get through an otherwise trying few weeks.

Anyway, I thought I'd just offer the above information as a way of helping you understand what your baby might be going through at this critical juncture. For more information, have a look at www.thewonderweeks.com or google "four month sleep regression".

Just remember: It really is perfectly normal. It's an expected developmental stage. Solids or changing formula won't change anything or fix it and, most importantly, IT WILL PASS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Minxie123 thanks for that post. It explains a lot! My son is exclusively breastfed and just turned 5 months. His sleep routine deteriorated so much over the last few weeks and I was wondering what was wrong. At 10 weeks he was sleeping better than at 4 months but it makes sense to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Minxie123 thanks for that post. It explains a lot! My son is exclusively breastfed and just turned 5 months. His sleep routine deteriorated so much over the last few weeks and I was wondering what was wrong. At 10 weeks he was sleeping better than at 4 months but it makes sense to me now.

Oh you're welcome! I have a 5 month old myself and have had so much pressure from people around me to put her on solids when I know she is no where near ready. I know different babies are ready for solids at different times but I think there is a real misconception around the correlation between sleep and food. Good luck with your little one, mine is 5.5 months and her sleep routine is just about back to where it was.

Advertisement