Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking vs Patio

Options
  • 15-05-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Thinking of putting in a seating area for table and chairs in one corner of our garden and wondering if anyone can help in the patio vs decking discussion.

Looking for any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of both, things like original cost to put in, maintenance etc. The area we're looking to do is around 3m x 3m so not too big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thinking of putting in a seating area for table and chairs in one corner of our garden and wondering if anyone can help in the patio vs decking discussion.

Looking for any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of both, things like original cost to put in, maintenance etc. The area we're looking to do is around 3m x 3m so not too big.

I have a deck just outside the back door. It looks really good but is lethal in the rain and even worse in the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks..... what might make a difference to opinions is that it wont be accessed from the back door - it'll be the far side of the garden so we won't have to cross it to get into the garden if its wet/icy. More than likely we'll only be using it in good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The cost differences are marginal, but the longevity and reduced maintenance requirements make Stone patios a much more prudent investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi .decks nice place for our furry friends to live:) ponddigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

We have a big deck, and the cost and effort of keeping it oiled is fairly hefty. If you're dealing with a level site I would recommend paving, far less maintenance. (I would have thought more expensive to install though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi Op,

I be in favour of a patio as decking requires alot of maintenance and especially with the extreme winters we are have now maintenance will be alot more frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Friend of mine got decking at the back of her house. She now complains about the maintenance and also all the bird droppings and spends a lot of time scrubbing it clean, and she moved the bird feeder. Also, a neighbour has decking but unfortunately they built it over a manhole - and when a few of the houses had drain problems they ended up having to pull up some of the decking to get at the drain - dunno if they left the planks off or put them back on again or not.

Advertisement