Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum Suggestions

Options
  • 15-05-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Just wondering as a suggestion for this forum, I would be thinking of suggesting something like:

The Provence threads are used for the likes of 'I went around this route and it was amazing', or 'thinking of going somewhere in the South West, route suggestions / places to visit / stay. that kind of thing.

For camp sites in Ireland, would it be worth having a thread on each one so that whoever stayed there can post good or bad or whatever reviews in it? Obviously, it could be started whenever by whoever and just added to over time and the title would be the park name.
    I think it would make life a lot easier for finding information on a particular park if someone wants it.
    It would make the information a lot less dis-jointed than searching through what is likely to be pages and pages of information on one Provence where posts relating to one particular place could be scattered few and far between.

There could be some sort of charter drawn up suggesting that this is the way it's structured or somewhat.

Lets just say I was looking to go to Kerry, I could use the south west thread to see where people have gone, and routes etc... and search for a particular site I'm looking to stay in to see what its like.

All of this is just my opinion, so I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm going to stick this thread for a while, so we can have a discussion about what we want (and then let it fall to the bottom once we're done)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Couple of things,
    Put Irish regions at the top of the list since they're probably most frequently used.
    Add a Midlands region.

Here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056269711 is my idea of how I would like this to work ...I'm open to suggestions (but not too many :D:D:D:D:D)

About this idea for a separate thread per campsite ...hmm ...
    It obviously has its merits, but I foresee a few hickups. The first one would be that reviews of campsites are usually very subjective and a campsite owner might be aggrieved by a bad one (and get boards into trouble). The scond one would be that if we get 40 or 50 different campsite threads (and we should get those easily) they again would be very hard to find.

I had first thought about a sticky for every thread in this forum, to keep threads in place and in order, but I have been overtaken by events. In order to make boards more mobile-user friendly, we have been asked by the powers above to reduce stickies to a minimum ...so that's a non runner (especially as I can see quite a few motorhomers using their mobiles to access this forum in particular)

stapeler wrote: »
    Put Irish regions at the top of the list since they're probably most frequently used.
    Doesn't work with boards. The thread with the latest entry will always be on top

Add a Midlands region.

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

peasant wrote: »
    About this idea for a separate thread per campsite ...hmm ...
    It obviously has its merits, but I foresee a few hickups. The first one would be that reviews of campsites are usually very subjective and a campsite owner might be aggrieved by a bad one (and get boards into trouble). The scond one would be that if we get 40 or 50 different campsite threads (and we should get those easily) they again would be very hard to find.
    Fair point, but that's the point of reviews, they are subjective. However, if you get enough of them, you could have a decent idea of what a place is like. Maybe even a poll on each thread with 1 to 5 on it or something and it would give you an average of a site.
    Also, and I have seen it before, if a campsite owner comes along and complains about a thread, surely it can be edited / removed etc...?

With regards to searching, I think it would be simple enough. Say I started a thread about Fingers view campsite, and had the campsite name as a heading. As this falls away into the abyss all someone has to do is search the forum for Fingers View campsite, and the thread will show up instantly. Include this in the charter and bob's yer uncle. Naturally there'll always be the odd scenario's where people don't read the charter, but that's life really.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

Fair point, but that's the point of reviews, they are subjective. However, if you get enough of them, you could have a decent idea of what a place is like. Maybe even a poll on each thread with 1 to 5 on it or something and it would give you an average of a site.
    Also, and I have seen it before, if a campsite owner comes along and complains about a thread, surely it can be edited / removed etc...?

I have to say, I kinda like this idea.
    Let me square this with stapeler and the admins first though. I know from the motors forum that (bad) dealer reviews have landed boards in hot water more than once ...but then again ...campsites don't really do shady dealings, the odd swampy pitch and brown toilet is about as bad as it gets. :D

Decision could take a while though, the admins are fierce busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I have to say, I kinda like this idea.
    Let me square this with stapeler and the admins first though. I know from the motors forum that (bad) dealer reviews have landed boards in hot water more than once ...but then again ...campsites don't really do shady dealings, the odd swampy pitch and brown toilet is about as bad as it gets. :D

Decision could take a while though, the admins are fierce busy

I like the idea too, despite the fact that it would require a bit more policing. If there's a negative comment posted about a dealer, organisation, campsite etc there's always the threat of action.
    Personally I'd like to see any organisation associated with Motorhomes, camping and caravanning etc logged into boards contributing and responding to comments whether they be positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I like the idea too, despite the fact that it would require a bit more policing. If there's a negative comment posted about a dealer, organisation, campsite etc there's always the threat of action.
    Personally I'd like to see any organisation associated with Motorhomes, camping and caravanning etc logged into boards contributing and responding to comments whether they be positive or negative.

The idea of an 'official representative' is good, and it sure would be nice.

Sure, it could be a bit more policing, but lets face it, its very rare that there is muppetry on this forum. There are the occasional spammers, but thats about it really.

When it comes to reviews, if erring on the side of caution is the order of the day, then that could just be posted in the charter and be strictly enforced.
    Imo, it could just be the difference in saying 'Fingers view is a stink hole, and the staff are muppets' which could be problematic, as opposed to 'Fingers view was an unpleasant experience, and i certainly wouldn't be staying there again' which isn't entirely positive, but isn't defamatory either.

Northern Ireland added to the locations and location finder.
    I was going for the non-denominational, ecumenical, apolitical compass rose approach for the whole Island ...but ...ah, well ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if possible people should add the website of the campsite or a website that has pictures that way a person can have a quick glance and decided to visit it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

On the subject of forums/threads etc, would there be enough call for a Caravans sub-forum? Us caravanners tend to shelter here meekly, in the knowledge we're not quite in the right place, but as near as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Betsy Og wrote: »
    On the subject of forums/threads etc, would there be enough call for a Caravans sub-forum? Us caravanners tend to shelter here meekly, in the knowledge we're not quite in the right place, but as near as can be.

Caravanism tiss what that is i tell you,,,,:) :):):)

Betsy Og wrote: »

We could open a mobile homes forum and send you over there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We could open a mobile homes forum and send you over there :D

Now I know what people mean when they say "I felt invisible" !!!;)

Advertisement