Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me....

Options
  • 15-05-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

if all this bad weather, like hailstones, wind, and then when this passes, sun and some heat is having an impact on TV reception? Like, freezing?

Someone told me that it possibly could........the jury is out!!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

suitseir wrote: »
    if all this bad weather, like hailstones, wind, and then when this passes, sun and some heat is having an impact on TV reception? Like, freezing?

Someone told me that it possibly could........the jury is out!!!!:(

Well rain and esp hail put a physical barrier you TV signal has to go through so that will dis-improve it. The wind could be shaking your antenna causing you to lose reception momentarily.

Sun and heat wouldn't really. I suppose there might be an argument for refraction due to layers of air heating differently but its effect on TV signals would be really really negligible, if any at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We get this effect at home too, and I've never actually looked into it before. A quick look at google shows up some confirmation from the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analoguetv/weather.shtml, sun and heat would correspond to high pressure.

edit: wait no my mistake, I misunderstood what you meant by 'passing'. The effect I get is caused by high pressure alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

What kind of TV reception are you talking about. Analogue, Digital Terrestrial or satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A man in the know told me wet leaves can play havoc with a satellite receiver so maybe start topping trees around your house if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sky, right? Rainwater is getting into the LNB. It will need replacing. If you are outta contract with Sky, cancel it and order a fresh connection, with your name "As Gaeilge" or in your wife's name.

You will get a new sky box, dish + LNB. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Terrestrial reception can be affected when strong anticyones are present. TV signals from far off stations are received due to reflection from the subsidence inversion associated with the High (the same way anaprop is received by precipitation radars). These signals can interfere with our local signals, hence the bad "reception".

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

If it is satellite TV, it is likely that leaves on a tree in front of the dish are blocking the signal or else the dish has moved after high winds and needs re-positioning

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

WHL wrote: »
    What kind of TV reception are you talking about. Analogue, Digital Terrestrial or satellite?

UPC - cable with aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Danno wrote: »
    Sky, right? Rainwater is getting into the LNB. It will need replacing. If you are outta contract with Sky, cancel it and order a fresh connection, with your name "As Gaeilge" or in your wife's name.

You will get a new sky box, dish + LNB. Happy days!

No, UPC!

Advertisement