Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling the Western Way

• 15-05-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi lads,

Outdoor pursuits forum directed me this way. Anyone have experience cycling and camping along the western way? If so any info will be appreciated!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I can't say I have but I know there was a thread at one point about cycling the wicklow way so if that's possible I'm guessing the western way is ridable as well (provided you've got a mountain bike), just be careful about pissing off walkers as it's technically their path not yours.

There's a campsite at the galway end of the way if I remember correctly and there's a hostel at killary harbour not far off the way that's supposed to be quite nice. Otherwise you could probably just camp anywhere as it's pretty remote so there should be somewhere you can camp wild most nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

...cycling the wicklow way so if that's possible I'm guessing the western way is ridable as well

That would be a bit presumptuous. Just because it's called a "way" doesn't mean it's rideable. The Chinese Way would be a case in point.

I've ridden a bit of it - around Maumean and Leenane. I recall parts of it being a boggy hell. Definitely one for the middle of summer only (a proper summer).

Get in touch with the guys at Connnemara MTB or MBW and they'll be able to give you some local knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

envirowill wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Outdoor pursuits forum directed me this way. Anyone have experience cycling and camping along the western way? If so any info will be appreciated!

thanks!

I've cycled plenty in the area and walked the Western way section from Oughterard to Leenane. Whereas some of this is on the road and perfectly good for cycling, when the way departs the road you could not take a bike. (Unless it was slung over your shoulder for good distances).

Even in high summer it is boggy in parts and there are long, long stretches where it would not be possible to cycle at all.

I know a section futher north in Mayo and the same goes for here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 envirowill

Thanks guys. Carrying the bikes should not be too much of a deal aslong as it's not for miles on end. We were thinking of going mid to late August hoping that it will be very dry. I'll ping the connemara and mbw guys for more info.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

envirowill wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Carrying the bikes should not be too much of a deal aslong as it's not for miles on end. We were thinking of going mid to late August hoping that it will be very dry. I'll ping the connemara and mbw guys for more info.

Many thanks!

Yikes.

I do not think you can do this with a bike. The stretch in between Oughterard and Leenane does have miles on end when you will have to carry the bike and the section in between Maam and Leenane has a significant enough kill/ mountain to overcome which is off road and which is slow going on foot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Back up the others on this. The last time I did this (on foot circa three years ago) much the section from Oughterard to Maam was a bog slog. You would have to carry the bike on your shoulder for much of it.

Also there are access issues at the back of Leckavreagh.

Ditto for the section up the Inagh Valley. There are sections that are extremely boggy. If you want to cycle a trail I would tend to stick with Wicklow.

Else just follow the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 envirowill

Hmm I guess I will check out some of the routes, maybe divert to roads for some parts? Thanks for the tips anyway, better to know in advance than get stuck in a bog somewhere :)

Advertisement