Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigrate to Oz or do Primary teaching Postgrad?

• 15-05-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, I was delighted to find out this week that I've been offered a place on a Primary teaching Postgrad in Dublin! While I would really love to work as a primary teacher, I am very worried that I will not get employment in a school as from what I hear there are hundreds of primary teachers unemployed currently with no work at all. Things are made alot more difficult with the fact that I am currently unemployed and the postgrad costs almost 10 grand :eek:!!!

I am doubtful as to whether I will get any subbing in a primary school while studying as I'd imagine principals would much rather hire a fully qualified primary teacher with experience (which is completely understandable).

I have a 2.1 law degree and law postgrad however I have been unable to get any kind of employment in the legal sector. I'm wondering would I be better off going to Australia like many other graduates? :confused:I am terrified that if I pay for this postgrad I could spend the next two years on the dole, be heavily in debt and then come out to no job at the end of it!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

To be honest, only you can make this decision when you weigh up the pros and cons. If you're talking about a course other than Hibernia, the primary post-graduate course is a full time degree so it would be nearly impossible to sub in schools during this time.

Also, recently a circular was issued to schools, asking them not to employ any unqualified substitutes so that probably would not work in your favor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as you would be a full time student, you would not be entitled to the dole either.

Primary school teaching is a very fulfilling career, if you're in it for the right reasons and truly enjoy it. So if you really want to be a primary school teacher then go for it. But again, only you can make this decision. Good Luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MilkTheGroup

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as you would be a full time student, you would not be entitled to the dole either.

Primary school teaching is a very fulfilling career, if you're in it for the right reasons and truly enjoy it. So if you really want to be a primary school teacher then go for it. But again, only you can make this decision. Good Luck! :)

Thanks yes I definitely am in it for the right reasons. I think you can make a real difference as a teacher and I think I would find it quite fulfilling. I thoroughly enjoyed my weeks of work experience lately in primary schools and found it really satisfying when I was able to help children in class. But I also have to be realistic as a qualification means nothing if you cant get work! :( I will have to look into whether or not I would be entitled to social welfare while on this course. thanks for the help :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It will be very hard to get subbing, even as a qualified teacher for the next few years at least. 1,200 teachers will be on redeployment panels before this summer and all of those will have to get jobs before any recently graduated teacher gets a sniff of any job.

I love my job and if it's what you really want go for it, bu maybe now isn't the best time. Also-and I'm not saying I agree with it,but it does happen -many principals don't choose Hibernia graduates over those trained in say Pat's or Mary I.

Have a tootle over to educationposts.ie and chat to people on the forum there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Firstly, only you can make the decision that's right for you.
    However, I'm going to say to you what I'd say to a friend if they asked me the same question.
    Go!
    Things are terrible in the primary sector at present.
    This is my 5th year out, only just have my dip done and am losing my job this June.
    Have never had a job in the same school two years running.
    Am seriously doubtful I'll have anything more than subbing next year and even the competition for that, I feel, will be fierce.

I would chance Oz for a year.
    Is it possible to defer your postgrad for a year?
    You could then work your ass off in Oz and maybe have enough cash when you come back to pay off your postgrad without being shouldered with massive debt...

pooch90 wrote: »
    Firstly, only you can make the decision that's
    I would chance Oz for a year.
    Is it possible to defer your postgrad for a year?
    You could then work your ass off in Oz and maybe have enough cash when you come back to pay off your postgrad without being shouldered with massive debt...

I cant believe i didnt think of defering!!! I rang them up there yes I can defer it for a year. thanks for that i never would have thought of that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Kathnora

I would agree wholeheartedly with Pooch 90. Defer for a year or maybe even 2 years. The fact that you have a Law degree plus a Post Grad in Law means you should get work in that area in Oz and it would be a shame not to put all that expertise to good use! I'm sure you are interested in that area having committed so many years of study to it. You may find that Law suits you after all, but you won't know for sure until you have some work experience under your belt. Then, after a year or two you'll have built up experience, have some money and be in a better position to make a decision re teaching. Hopefully the job situation re teaching will be clearer by then too. The problem with colleges like Hibernia is, of course, that they appear to be willing to train an unlimited amount of graduates regardless of the market demands for newly qualified teachers. Until this changes or until there is a reduction in the numbers of students who want to become teachers then it looks like the market will be flooded with unemployed teachers! Sounds bleak, I know but Hibernia appear to be willing to take on unlimited numbers once students are prepared to pay the high fees. At this stage it would be very hard for you to sacrifice so much when you know how bad the job scene is on the ground. :confused::confused:

Kathnora wrote: »
    The fact that you have a Law degree plus a Post Grad in Law means you should get work in that area in Oz and it would be a shame not to put all that expertise to good use!

Unfortunately it will be quite difficult for me to get legal work over there as the conditions of a work holiday visa is that you can only work 6 months with each employer max so this deters australian law firms from hiring irish law graduates. Added to this is the fact that there are actually alot of unemployed australian law graduates over there already! i am not eligible for any other visa (i have looked into sponsorship and skilled migrant visas).

I think I will defer despite that though as the situation is quite bad at present here. I could also save alot for Hibernia fees if I worked in Australia for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

I cant believe i didnt think of defering!!! I rang them up there yes I can defer it for a year. thanks for that i never would have thought of that!!
    Delighted to be of help, hope it all works out. Keep us updated!

Advertisement