Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossfit waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I know a couple of lads who use it and they reckon its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere

Looks interesting! Seems a bit expensive though. Pity you can't pay as you go. I'd like to hear from people who attend the classes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm doing the free trial on Monday so looking forward to it. Handy to keep fit during the pre-season of rugby refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I have been it since last Sept before they moved to the new gym...

Its one of the best fitness programs I have ever used, way better than any gym I have used. Its basically classes in a group enviroment doing gym,cardio, weights, excersie movements and each day its vaired..

for people saying its expensive, i think thats a myth..
    dont class it like a normal gym.. the idea of crossfit is more like a sport, so you wouldnt go soccer training when you felt like it for example..
    theres class every day, so if you went for the hour even 4 times a week, it breaksdown at 3.85 per class.. name me another personal training program for that price.

it is something though you have to keep up. I would have went running and Kingfisher 4 times a weeek for 3 years, but after doing this one month last August to get back fit after an injury.. I stopped everything else...
    Good craic at all the classes too, very good enviroment and buzz in all the classes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

€825 for a years membership, thats way over the odds of what people will pay for gym membership.
    Isn,t that goldstone gym doing 12 month membership for something like €315 if three people join together, thats a big difference granted you might get a better workout and more motivation in crossfit with the staff up there, but i find the hardest thing about the gym is actually getting up off your arse and going there.

• Advertisement

Crossfit isn't your normal gym.

If that's your thing stick with Goldstone or Kingfisher.

If however, you feel the gym has run it's course, and it's getting boring and results have stabilised, than try crossit. Over 100 up there, and I honestly can't recall one person starting it and giving it up. If you think going to a gym, is watching tv on a treadmill and going your own pace for an hour than you won't like crossfit. If you think I'd rather do 25 mins of intense training and getting superb results than it's defo your thing...

Hope that explains it ... Hard to put finger in it's successes to be honest , only tell ya what my experiences are. It's helped my football, fitness levels and build, where the gym helped me lose weight but not much after that.

Www.crossfit.com is the main USA site where it started , more info on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 twiggle

Just found this post by accident, it's made my night! I've been looking up gyms and memberships all evening, had kinda settled on either Woodlands or Goldstone if either of them could give me a 2 months membership, but then I found out that they do CrossFit in Waterford! I used to go to classes in college last year when I lived in America. The instructors were two guys in the Army, one of whom was in the top 200 in the US. They damn near killed me every week! But I was so fit after just a couple of weeks that I was really upset when I had to leave them. Can't believe that they do it here! Starting right away this week, cheers for the heads up lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

savic o4.....mmmmmmmmm...:confused:

could it be savage as a surname...any ties to crossfit i wonder...:D

no it couldnt be..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

heard theres a head involved with this training gym, banned 3 guys from the gym for what he perceived as cheating during the week.... they where doing 50 squats and 30 pull ups, and he counted they had onily done 48 and 28 repectively,
    they said they where so tired doing the exercises that they couldn't keep count at the end
    he told the gym members to get councilling to deal with their cheating and everything

bad business in my eyes condering they 3 lads where paying 65€ each a month to be involved in the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of ****! Get the **** off of my obstacle! Get the **** down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

hartman01.jpg?w=450&h=325

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

yeah i know one of the fellas who was apparently caught cheating and i also know three people who have cancelled their membership over this. i wouldnt go near the place after what the fella who runs it has done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

These workouts are full on, you'd be shattered at the end

So it's very possible the lads just lost count, honest mistake
    Bit harsh to ban members, surprising :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Woah! You serious?? I had contacted Crossfit to arrange an intro day, but if this is the way they motivate people I'll think twice! Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm sorry, maybe someone can explain for me. You pay for membership. I thought you then go there to workout not sit an exam? How can anyone be kicked out for cheating? Do you win a prize or something if you do the most push ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I'm sorry, maybe someone can explain for me. You pay for membership. I thought you then go there to workout not sit an exam? How can anyone be kicked out for cheating? Do you win a prize or something if you do the most push ups?

i'm not totally sure jonny, but what I gather is the members do a group work out and then enter compitions against other crossfit gyms.... they record you doing some workouts to monitor your technique etc etc, but some head working in there cought a couple of lads not completeing the reps for what he perceived as cheating.... then emailed them that their membership was being terminiated and that they should consider councilling to deal with their cheating attitutde towards sport :confused::confused:

If the three lads counted to 50 & 30 is it not more likely that the trainer chap got the count wrong?
    Would it really make all that much of a difference anyway?

This is just the latest criticism or Crossfit that I've read. Each to their own but don't think it would interest me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomdunphy

Hi Guys, my name is Tom Dunphy, im the owner and head trainer at CrossFit Waterford. Unfortunately we did have to leave 2 of our members go due to persistant cheating. Both parties were warned and both continued to cheat consistently. We had several complaints from other members and had to act accordingly. Every other gym and sports club in the world has rules and if people continue to brake those rules after being warned then action has to be taken. They were both expierienced athletes and both were well aware that cheating is not only against gym rules but is also disrespectful to your fellow CrossFitters and your coaches. CrossFit is all about working hard and putting in an honest effort. When people decide to shave reps off their workouts just to improve their score then other other members notice and bring it to our attention. We owe it to our customers to listen to what they have to say and unfortunately that meant banning the 2 individuals in question. I wish the 2 lads the best of luck in the future and want them to understand its nothing personal.If anyone would like to ask anymore questions on the matter just give me a shout and i would be happy to answer them.

There's a score? So the training is kind of like a competition between all the members then?

heard theres a head involved with this training gym, banned 3 guys from the gym for what he perceived as cheating during the week.... they where doing 50 squats and 30 pull ups, and he counted they had onily done 48 and 28 repectively,
    they said they where so tired doing the exercises that they couldn't keep count at the end
    he told the gym members to get councilling to deal with their cheating and everything

bad business in my eyes condering they 3 lads where paying 65€ each a month to be involved in the gym

Well i often mis-count Reps, kinda comes natural when your tired and struggling. So maybe it was more an ongoing thing. Do you think they would cancel they membership of everyone who mis-counted reps or laps??

Its better to get your facts right before you take issue I would say.

• Advertisement

savic o4.....mmmmmmmmm...:confused:

could it be savage as a surname...any ties to crossfit i wonder...:D

no it couldnt be..:mad:

ha ha just noticed this now..

The only tie I have to crossfit is the fact i am doing it the last 11months and loving it... My original points above werent trying to ''sell'' CrossFit, I was explaining the good and bad points about it...

There's a score? So the training is kind of like a competition between all the members then?
    hey Johny, hows it goin mate

Its not a competiton but we do keep scores so we can see our progress, its kinda like when a runner times how long it takes them to run a certain distance then the next time they run that distance they have a target to beat. Some of the more advanced members will use this system to compete against eachother, always on a friendly basis of course. Unfortunately if someone is competitive and dishonest then they may be inclined to cheat and say they did better than they actually have done. Does that make sense?

hey Johny, hows it goin mate

Its not a competiton but we do keep scores so we can see our progress, its kinda like when a runner times how long it takes them to run a certain distance then the next time they run that distance they have a target to beat. Some of the more advanced members will use this system to compete against eachother, always on a friendly basis of course. Unfortunately if someone is competitive and dishonest then they may be inclined to cheat and say they did better than they actually have done. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

deise48 wrote: »
    yeah i know one of the fellas who was apparently caught cheating and i also know three people who have cancelled their membership over this. i wouldnt go near the place after what the fella who runs it has done

that's funny Deise 48, as co owner I can assure you you are misinformed my friend!!! Please try get your facts correct or at least back up your comments!!! Oh and btw there was no ' apparent' cheating, it was actual!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

Hi there, you seem like someone who likes a little gossip:pac: and you are WAY OFF THE MARK here in everything you have just posted, please try get ALL your facts, or even one of them right before you come on a national public forum and embarrass yourself with your little rants:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raydoranuk

Hi Guys, I've trained in this crossfit gym from the beginning, Crossfit is not ur average gym its much more than that. People go to train compete against each others time weights etc, friendly competition, and I for sure would be pissed off if was was giving it my all and someone finished before me boosting of a great time when you know they skipped reps. Its simple like in any sport your caught cheating you are pulled up on it if it continues so much that it upsets people around the gym then Tom has a responsibility to take action. I would not let the fact that someone caught cheating sway my decision in training there as far as im concerned the warnings where given, Fatigue can play its part when training but there are abacus's there which kids can use to help you keep track so there is no excuse! The rules are clear its not something just thrown out there. Some of the comments are ridiculous on this trend. I highly recommend crossfit if you are serious about your training!

Fair play to the two lads for coming to this thread and explaining their side.
    Makes more sense with both sides of the argument

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

crossfit is the one the best things I have ever joined. Not only am I now as fit as a fiddle but I have met some great people aswell. Also thanks to the encouragement from tom I also quit smoking (6mths ago).

longshanks wrote: »
    Fair play to the two lads for coming to this thread and explaining their side.
    Makes more sense with both sides of the argument

Yes, it has cleared up a lot of confusion. If the guys weren't doing the reps but boasting that they had then the were right to be shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ned10 wrote: »
    that's funny Deise 48, as co owner I can assure you you are misinformed my friend!!! Please try get your facts correct or at least back up your comments!!! Oh and btw there was no ' apparent' cheating, it was actual!!

oh im sorry ned10 maybe i should try councilling then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement