Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossfit waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I do not train up in crossfit, but I do know the lads who run it very well indeed, and Im certain they would not take any decision to ask anyone to leave lightly because it's not in their best interests to do this, back lash from here alone.
    If it had to be done, then it had to be done....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lyndsey Galgey

Hi my name is Lyndsey and I am doing Crossfit 1 month and a half. I have to say it is brilliant and would recommend it to everyone!!I tore my ACL and cartilidge playing soccer last summer. I had ACL Surgery on my left knee last August 2010 and before I joined Crossfit (June 1st 2011) my knee felt weak, it had a small pull when I walked, and my flexion was poor. Since Joining Crossfit it has helped me get the strenght and power back in my knee for running, sprinting, jumping, and kicking a ball, my flexion in my knee is improving everyday (with the great stretches from coaches Tom, Eddie and Gary) and my overall fitness has increased tremendously in such a short period of time.

I played my first full soccer match 2 days ago which was an FAI Cup quarter final (Competitive level) and played and ran for the whole 120 minutes, with the thanks to Crossfit Waterford who have prepared me physically obviously, but also mentally in giving me the confidence and self believe to overcome this injury and get back out on the pitch.

It is not like your usual gym (repetitive), it is a million times better! The workouts are new and exciting everyday, I am doing things that I taught I could never do as in double unders, Box Jumps(with the knee), pullups, a move called skin the Cat and I have lost over a stone in weight. There is no never or I can't in your training, there is I am able and I will learn and practice how to, this I have learned from the excellent coaches in Crossfit.

Crossfit is for everyone of any age fitness level etc as proytrayed in our gym in Waterford. Everybody in the gym is lovely and extremly welcoming and the coaches are top class. The price is excellent for the type of training and coaching you get.

Crossfit is the new and best way to train, I never hesitated in joining and either should you..... go for it it will be the best fitness decision you will ever make ... So get down to Crossfit Waterford and join you will love it!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Welcome aboard neighbour. Good to hear your back in form.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Welcome aboard neighbour. Good to hear your back in form.

awh heya seany is this seany from slieverue? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

When people say it's varied every day, do you know in advance what is going to be done? and is the emphasis different in every class, for example 1 day working on muscular endurance, next day speed, next day explosiveness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

awh heya seany is this seany from slieverue? :)

Bottom of crescent drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

Hi my name is Lyndsey and I am doing Crossfit 1 month and a half. I have to say it is brilliant and would recommend it to everyone!!I tore my ACL and cartilidge playing soccer last summer. I had ACL Surgery on my left knee last August 2010 and before I joined Crossfit (June 1st 2011) my knee felt weak, it had a small pull when I walked, and my flexion was poor. Since Joining Crossfit it has helped me get the strenght and power back in my knee for running, sprinting, jumping, and kicking a ball, my flexion in my knee is improving everyday (with the great stretches from coaches Tom, Eddie and Gary) and my overall fitness has increased tremendously in such a short period of time.

I played my first full soccer match 2 days ago which was an FAI Cup quarter final (Competitive level) and played and ran for the whole 120 minutes, with the thanks to Crossfit Waterford who have prepared me physically obviously, but also mentally in giving me the confidence and self believe to overcome this injury and get back out on the pitch.

It is not like your usual gym (repetitive), it is a million times better! The workouts are new and exciting everyday, I am doing things that I taught I could never do as in double unders, Box Jumps(with the knee), pullups, a move called skin the Cat and I have lost over a stone in weight. There is no never or I can't in your training, there is I am able and I will learn and practice how to, this I have learned from the excellent coaches in Crossfit.

Crossfit is for everyone of any age fitness level etc as proytrayed in our gym in Waterford. Everybody in the gym is lovely and extremly welcoming and the coaches are top class. The price is excellent for the type of training and coaching you get.

Crossfit is the new and best way to train, I never hesitated in joining and either should you..... go for it it will be the best fitness decision you will ever make ... So get down to Crossfit Waterford and join you will love it!!:)

Well said...you've summed it up well Lyndsey!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

deise48 wrote: »
    oh im sorry ned10 maybe i should try councilling then

Yeah, maybe so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 tomdunphy

Dan133269 wrote: »
    When people say it's varied every day, do you know in advance what is going to be done? and is the emphasis different in every class, for example 1 day working on muscular endurance, next day speed, next day explosiveness?

Hey Dan

When we say its constantly varied it means we use different movements everyday and combine them in different paterns, differant lengths of time, different weights and also differant rep ranges. This is the most effective way to achieve a broad general fitness. If you stick to the same routine week in week out not only will you get mentally bored but your body becomes physically board. We dont do the same workout for another 8 to 12 weeks so we are always keeping our body guessing.

Hey Deise, can I ask you a question? Do you agree with cheating and rule breaking?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Bottom of crescent drive.

Awh thanks Sean whats your full name :)

Hey whos Sparkling Sea? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Would the folks at Cross Fit Waterford email hello@boards.ie to verify they are who they say they are. You can mention this post to them and ill get a confirmation from them that your identity is confirmed. I just want to ensure that the folks are who they claim they are, just to prevent someone pretending and damaging the name of said company. Once done, you can all continue posting and addressing questions but no advertising please! :)

It might not be the greatest idea to be speaking out former members and what they did, but if you are keep names and descriptions out of it so the person(s) are not easily identifiable.

Cheers and welcome to Boards!

(And those having a more, eh, personal convo -- take it to PM!! :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

just wondering why the rates are so high. i know it has been partially answered but i drove past the gym and it does have very little equipment so apart from the building im not sure why its so expensive.

just to clarify i think its a great concept of fitness and it doesnt need equipment worth x amount of pounds to get fit when body weight exercise can be just as good if not better .
    i just think its priceing itself out of most peoples budget
    i would love to join but could never afford 900 odd euro maybe if i find work but not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Would the folks at Cross Fit Waterford email hello@boards.ie to verify they are who they say they are. You can mention this post to them and ill get a confirmation from them that your identity is confirmed. I just want to ensure that the folks are who they claim they are, just to prevent someone pretending and damaging the name of said company. Once done, you can all continue posting and addressing questions but no advertising please! :)

It might not be the greatest idea to be speaking out former members and what they did, but if you are keep names and descriptions out of it so the person(s) are not easily identifiable.

Cheers and welcome to Boards!

(And those having a more, eh, personal convo -- take it to PM!! :P)

Done!!
    Just to clarify neither Tom or myself would never name anyone on here, the only reason we answered the comment was to clarify a couple of complete rubbish comments aimed at our gym..

SUNGOD wrote: »
    just wondering why the rates are so high. i know it has been partially answered but i drove past the gym and it does have very little equipment so apart from the building im not sure why its so expensive.

just to clarify i think its a great concept of fitness and it doesnt need equipment worth x amount of pounds to get fit when body weight exercise can be just as good if not better .
    i just think its priceing itself out of most peoples budget
    i would love to join but could never afford 900 odd euro maybe if i find work but not at the moment.

Thats a good point sungod and one often raised by someone who has never trained in a CrossFit gym before. To someone on the outside looking in CrossFit gyms look very sparce compared to you average health center gym.
    I would answer that by saying first that you get what you pay for. By that I mean when people join gyms they pay for results, not equipment. At CrossFit the training is geared toward producing the best fitness results possible relative to each individual. We focuss on quality coaching, that means having fully qualified CrossFit trainers in all classes and open gym at all times. This dosent come cheap.

Secondly we offer classes from 6:30am to 6:30pm 5 days a week plus open gym 3 days per week, again staffing these hours isnt cheap either.

Thirdly if I was to list the price of all the equipment in our gym I think you would be shocked, CrossFit gear is very expensive due to the import costs and availability.

Fourthly I would suggest checking all the other CrossFit gyms in Ireland for their prices and see how we compare.

I hope this answers your question. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

tomdunphy wrote: »
    We focuss on quality coaching, that means having fully qualified CrossFit trainers in all classes and open gym at all times. This dosent come cheap.

Secondly we offer classes from 6:30am to 6:30pm 5 days a week plus open gym 3 days per week, again staffing these hours isnt cheap either.

Thirdly if I was to list the price of all the equipment in our gym I think you would be shocked, CrossFit gear is very expensive due to the import costs and availability.

In fairness you havent really listed any expenses here that a normal gym wouldnt have.

Dont get me wrong, as its your business you're entitled to charge what you like for the service you provide. After that basic supply and demand will dictate whether you're successful or not.

The only reason im making this point is that crossfit is something i'd really be interested in but €825 a year is just way too much for me right now.
    Plus that amount of money would probably kit out my garage with most of the equipment necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Do ye do a six month rate? I could see meself sticking with it during the winter, not so much during the summer.

In fairness you havent really listed any expenses here that a normal gym wouldnt have.

Dont get me wrong, as its your business you're entitled to charge what you like for the service you provide. After that basic supply and demand will dictate whether you're successful or not.

The only reason im making this point is that crossfit is something i'd really be interested in but €825 a year is just way too much for me right now.
    Plus that amount of money would probably kit out my garage with most of the equipment necessary.

Other gyms dont offer CrossFit training. Thats the bottom line. Ive had people come into our gym who have been training in regular gyms for years and havent had the results that our programme can produce within a few months. Its all about quality coaching, can you honestly say other gyms offer that?

As far as kitting out your garage with the membership fee your right, you probly could. But who would teach you proper techique? Who would teach you CrossFit? Who would programme your workouts to give you the maximum physical benefits? Who would push you to do those extra reps or advise you on your diet or encourage you to get back training when you hit a low spot? Will you find the same community spirit in your garage as you would training with other people?

As far as im concerned your physical health is one of the most important things in your life, whats 17 euro per week when your giving yourself a longer healthier more enjoyable life? If you do 5 classes per week thats less than 3:50 per class.

longshanks wrote: »
    Do ye do a six month rate? I could see meself sticking with it during the winter, not so much during the summer.

I cant advertise on here sorry but if you shoot me an email then ill be able to fill you in, my email is tom@crossfitwaterford.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Other gyms dont offer CrossFit training. Thats the bottom line. Ive had people come into our gym who have been training in regular gyms for years and havent had the results that our programme can produce within a few months. Its all about quality coaching, can you honestly say other gyms offer that?

As far as kitting out your garage with the membership fee your right, you probly could. But who would teach you proper techique? Who would teach you CrossFit? Who would programme your workouts to give you the maximum physical benefits? Who would push you to do those extra reps or advise you on your diet or encourage you to get back training when you hit a low spot? Will you find the same community spirit in your garage as you would training with other people?

As far as im concerned your physical health is one of the most important things in your life, whats 17 euro per week when your giving yourself a longer healthier more enjoyable life? If you do 5 classes per week thats less than 3:50 per class.[/Quote]

You sell it very well anyway in fairness to u! And I agree with pretty much everything u say regarding health and fitness.

My only counter point would b that 825 is a lot of money, particularly these days. As someone who would b very interested in crossfit I just couldn't justify paying that kind of money regardless of d results. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I'd b fairly sure there's others in d same boat.

I hope I'm not coming across d wrong way here as I genuinely think its a great idea and wish u all d best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Its all about quality coaching, can you honestly say other gyms offer that? Yes

Who would teach you CrossFit?... The internet has all the information you need. The internet is there to learn about dieting. You could always have your friends come round to your garage.

While I agree with what you have said about health and only being €17 a week but you could get the same for cheaper elsewhere even though it mightn't be CrossFit. It is very expensive to be fair.

I'm curious as to what happens if someone turns up during a class. Can they use the free equipment around or do they have to wait until the start of the next class? If you're not able to workout when a class is on then how many free hours are there? Also what are the opening times? (checked website but can't see them). Thanks.

One aspect that does seem to be advantageous over other gyms is the community spirit. While you might get that at smaller, local gyms you won't find it in some of the bigger gyms around the city for sure. Once you pay your membership at some places you can tell that they'd rather you didn't bother coming to the gym.

jive wrote: »
    Who would teach you CrossFit?... The internet has all the information you need. The internet is there to learn about dieting. You could always have your friends come round to your garage.

While I agree with what you have said about health and only being €17 a week but you could get the same for cheaper elsewhere even though it mightn't be CrossFit. It is very expensive to be fair.

I'm curious as to what happens if someone turns up during a class. Can they use the free equipment around or do they have to wait until the start of the next class? If you're not able to workout when a class is on then how many free hours are there? Also what are the opening times? (checked website but can't see them). Thanks.

One aspect that does seem to be advantageous over other gyms is the community spirit. While you might get that at smaller, local gyms you won't find it in some of the bigger gyms around the city for sure. Once you pay your membership at some places you can tell that they'd rather you didn't bother coming to the gym.

Can you honestly say watching a video or reading an article on the internet is the same as being coached by a qualified expierienced trainer? To reach your true potential you need a coach, how good would Man UTD. be if they didnt have Alex Ferguson? Yes you could defintly have your friends around but how many can you fit in your gagrage and the more people you have training with you the higher the equipment costs.

As far as getting the same for cheaper somewhere else id disagree. Where in the south east do they teach olympic weightlifting? Adult gymnastics? CrossFit? Ive trained in every gym in waterford and have never been thought how to do a snatch or a clean and jerk or a deadlift or squat properly or a kipping pullup or a muscleup or a hanstand pushup. These are all skillful movements and have to be thought by someone who knows what they are doing.

I go through class times during the free intro so we have never had someone show up at the wrong time thankfully. If you click on the timetable link on crossfitwaterford.com then you will find the full class listing on there. We are currently considering an early bird membership which will be alot cheaper than the regular price but will limit the member to the 630am class and open gym times. That might suit you better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Fixed it for ya:
    To reach your true potential you need a coach, how good would Man UTD. be if they didnt have Howard Webb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

What your getting with crossfit really is a bargain, I would compare it to the cost between that of a 1:1 personal trainer as oposed to a regular gym and there is no way you would get 5 PT sessions for 17 euro a week, most people that join gyms just go through the motions with there slow uneffective boring workouts and make little or no progress, of course with crossfit you cant only workout, your going to have to change your diet as well, look up paleo diet to whats recommeneded, Im planning in joining in september and you dont have to fork out 825 in one go, you can try it for a month and opt out then if you want as there are no locked contracts, heck you can even opt out after the free intoductory session

1. Can you honestly say watching a video or reading an article on the internet is the same as being coached by a qualified expierienced trainer? <movements> These are all skillful movements and have to be thought by someone who knows what they are doing.

I go through class times during the free intro so we have never had someone show up at the wrong time thankfully. If you click on the timetable link on crossfitwaterford.com then you will find the full class listing on there. We are currently considering an early bird membership which will be alot cheaper than the regular price but will limit the member to the 630am class and open gym times. That might suit you better?

I don't know what gyms are like outside of my local gym but I'd imagine olympic lifting in Waterford is difficult to find so kudos on that one.

1. Yes you can teach yourself. There are endless amounts of information available in libraries and online. You can easily teach yourself how to do those movements adequately without coaching. If you want to lift at a very high level then yes you will probably need coaching to fine tune things but for your average person you don't.

I have a gym membership already so won't be joining elsewhere as I'm happy where I am. Having to go at a certain time each hour for a certain workout wouldn't suit me personally but can appreciate it might be for others. I like to go and do my own thing (also closing at 7.30 to males on Mon + Wed is too early unless I'm reading it incorrectly). Also need my gym to be open sunday as I go everyday over the weekend. I appreciate that you offer something rare but that doesn't necessarily make it better. For me, personally, your price is too high but your gym seems to have a better community aspect than the larger gyms in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 creamcadalac

I don't know what gyms are like outside of my local gym but I'd imagine olympic lifting in Waterford is difficult to find so kudos on that one.

1. Yes you can teach yourself. There are endless amounts of information available in libraries and online. You can easily teach yourself how to do those movements adequately without coaching. If you want to lift at a very high level then yes you will probably need coaching to fine tune things but for your average person you don't.

I have a gym membership already so won't be joining elsewhere as I'm happy where I am. Having to go at a certain time each hour for a certain workout wouldn't suit me personally but can appreciate it might be for others. I like to go and do my own thing (also closing at 7.30 to males on Mon + Wed is too early unless I'm reading it incorrectly). Also need my gym to be open sunday as I go everyday over the weekend. I appreciate that you offer something rare but that doesn't necessarily make it better. For me, personally, your price is too high but your gym seems to have a better community aspect than the larger gyms in the city.

just reading all this stuff about crossfit, sounds like something new and different alright, id need something like classes and set times so id push mysef to be honest, been in regular gyms before and never got results, 17 a week seems reasonable to me...:) and iv heard good things about it..
    Just wondering though why "jive" decided to pick apart crossfit if you have no interest in joining, why bother? sounds so negative when the guys seem like thier just trying to run a business? doesnt sound like thier on here to advertise, just clearing up some rumours if you ask me! I dont normaly talk on forums,but find reading them helpful...fair enough if you were thinking of joining,but if not then maybe just let them be? :(

where is crossfit located? can you pm me address?

Just wondering though why "jive" decided to pick apart crossfit if you have no interest in joining, why bother? sounds so negative when the guys seem like thier just trying to run a business? doesnt sound like thier on here to advertise, just clearing up some rumours if you ask me! I dont normaly talk on forums,but find reading them helpful...fair enough if you were thinking of joining,but if not then maybe just let them be? :(

where is crossfit located? can you pm me address?

How did I pick apart crossfit? I just asked about the hours and the high prices (for 6 days a week those prices are astronomical in my opinion). Like I said, I have a gym membership. As you know, gym memberships are not forever so crossfit would be a viable option for me in the future. If they didn't want to be asked about it then maybe they shouldn't have posted on a public forum. They can ignore me if they wish, I'm not trying to cause trouble - I have no reason to. Sorry for inquiring.

Also given your join date and the fact that that is your first post I'd imagine you know full well where crossfit is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How did I pick apart crossfit? I just asked about the hours and the high prices (for 6 days a week those prices are astronomical in my opinion). Like I said, I have a gym membership. As you know, gym memberships are not forever so crossfit would be a viable option for me in the future. If they didn't want to be asked about it then maybe they shouldn't have posted on a public forum. They can ignore me if they wish, I'm not trying to cause trouble - I have no reason to. Sorry for inquiring.

Also given your join date and the fact that that is your first post I'd imagine you know full well where crossfit is :rolleyes:

They arent, the only reason they seem like this to you is because your comparing it like for like with a commercial gym, your not paying for the gym with crossfit your paying for the coaching service and the results which come with that

• Advertisement

They arent, the only reason they seem like this to you is because your comparing it like for like with a commercial gym, your not paying for the gym with crossfit your paying for the coaching service and the results which come with that

A normal commercial gym with a pool + lifeguards, sauna, cardio equipment, weights (+ there are trainers and classes - every gym has a trainer there at all times and would help when asked for advice) costs half as much as what they are charging. Fair enough they have more kettlebells, bumper plates, rings and other equipment that other commercial gyms would have but it doesn't warrant that price in my opinion. I wouldn't be willing to pay it. I'm sure it's a good gym and I've seen a video and it looks like it has a great atmosphere, just too expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement