Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossfit waterford

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Crossfit program is better for putting on muscle than natural bodybuilding?
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General4

I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Dan133269 wrote: »

I think you'll find it hard to believe because it is a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

jive wrote: »
    savic04 wrote: »
    1.after a few months I didnt renew because I felt in 4 months of CrossFit, I had got more benefits than 4 years in Kingfisher.

2.Thats my only point here, so your argument thats its only good for novices is complete and utter bull****

3.One other thing Jive and Deise46 or whatever... ye both say that Crossfit couldnt be more healtier than a normal gym?
    Thats bull**** and its a fact!

4. In my second class in Crossfit, Tom noticed the way I squatted wasnt exactly right.... he showed me how to do it properly shall we say... Since September 13th 2010, I havent got that injury once.... yet it has more or less crippled me for the 4 years before that....
    Why did it take Tom 2 classes to notice something that the 10 trainers in Kingfisher failed to pick up on in 4 years or so?

1. Considering you were squatting wrong I'd put good money that you were doing a lot of other things wrong too. I'm sure if you asked the trainers at Kingfisher they would have shown you how to do the movement correctly or what you were doing wrong. Whether or not you actually made more progress in 4 months than you did in 4 years I don't know but in fairness if you weren't doing things properly then I'm not surprised.

2. I never said it was only for novices. I already said crossfit works. Of course it does, it's excercise. Just like all other workouts performed correctly work, crossfit workouts also work.

3. I assume you're going to provide us with the evidence to back that statement up?

4. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't one of the Crossfit trainers from Kingfisher? To quote yourself - "comparing a run of the mill gym instructor to a fully qualified crossfit trainer is like comparing a chip shop worker to a gourmet chef" - Did he go from chip shop worker to gourmet chef since he moved over?

Where did I say that in your point 4??

I didn't ...

Also, why should I have to ask the trainers.

Did you ask how to do every movement?
    Next time your in gym, ask around , ask how many people were shown exactly how to do certain movements.. Very few.

Your right, the 4 months of doing things correctly helped me make better results... Compared with the 4 years previous .. Btw I often asked about programs etc in kingfisher ... But it just don't have a patch on crossfit.

One of the trainers is a kingfisher trainer too or he was .... But to be honest, I didn't know him until he was at crossfit... Don't know what that says about kingfisher to be honest with ya.

basically jive, I can get at least 20 to 30 lads to come on here who came from regular gyms and give their stories. Ask how many will return to normal gym..

Member numbers speak for themselves at the end of the day. You simply cant pick the bones out of it like you have been until you do it for a period of time...

columok wrote: »
    So in essence, crossfit is healthier...because im not the only one who has similar stories..
    Remember its better to make 100 mistakes once than the same mistake 100 times... yet you have just made 100 mistakes!

Crossfit can be healthier/better. It can also be less-healthy/worse. It depends on the individual, the coaches and PARTICULARLY the quality of the programming.

If you're doing random stuff quickly (like quite a few crossfitters are) then most likely you'll improve during the novice phase before either a) being injured or b) stalling.

You really dont get it do ya..

Crossfit is personal training class every class with instructors ... Normal gym isn't.
    So you know instantly if your wrong which reduces risk of injury.

When you log your results you see your results gettin better each week/day/ .... Havent seen many people stall, level out or get injured to be honest.

lot of lads are lifting almost double what they did in their normal gyms..

How many gyms let you be a member and pay on a monthly basis ?

Kingfisher rang me 13 times in 3 weeks to get me to renew.... They were like dog in heat...

Crossfit believes you will come back on your accord due to results... So allow you pay monthly!!! Not 6 months or 12 months.. It's your choice...

Pay one month, try it out and see ... they don't want your cash for 12 months knowing a large % won't use it much, like normal gyms do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

tomdunphy wrote: »
    Other gyms dont offer CrossFit training. Thats the bottom line. Ive had people come into our gym who have been training in regular gyms for years and havent had the results that our programme can produce within a few months. Its all about quality coaching, can you honestly say other gyms offer that?

Tom,
    Do you guys in CrossFit have a patent on a burpee? or a sit-up? or doing a burpee and then a sit-up after that?

I know gym instructors who combine crossfit training with "regular" gym work and their clients love it!! When your gym has 1000 members and only 5/6 staff let me know how you get on motivating/coaching them all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Crossfit is personal training class every class with instructors ... Normal gym isn't.

When you log your results you see your results gettin better each week/day/ .... Havent seen many people stall, level out or get injured to be honest.

Kingfisher rang me 13 times in 3 weeks to get me to renew.... They were like dog in heat...

Crossfit believes you will come back on your accord due to results... So allow you pay monthly!!! Not 6 months or 12 months.. It's your choice...

Pay one month, try it out and see ... they don't want your cash for 12 months knowing a large % won't use it much, like normal gyms do ...

No you don't get it. You're assuming I'm ignorant of CF and if that I only signed up I'd see the light.

As for injuries... What's the rhabdo count now? And the ruptured achilles count? And SLAP tears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

Would people please stop saying crossfit is personal training. If there is more than one person in the class then its simply not personal training.
    And before all the crossfitters jump on my case, im not saying anything bad about crossfit. I think its great and much better than a normal gym.
    I have trained in about 10 different crossfit gyms around the world.
    But it is not personal training, its group training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

going to the gym or swimming pool to you is just something to pass the time in the evenings after work..

And whats it to you??

Timetogetfit,juanveron45,vampireskiss,dumplin,amanonamission,showmetheway..all dupe accounts thatt have been banned for trolling the fitness forum,wasting people's time and starting flame wars.

You havnt joined crossfit,you never will join crossfit and your opionions on crossfit are of no importance to anybody.

Have a big fry up why dont you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

Saw a ''must read'' article for most crossfitters on crossfit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

well said degsy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

lol mods, dont ever close this thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I didn't ...

You said it in your previous post.

You should have to ask the trainers because obviously they cannot watch everyone or teach everyone unless they are asked. Do you really think that if you asked them for advice they would say no? They are gym instructors for god sake. The fact that they work in the gym indicates to me that they might actually enjoy helping someone out because they are obviously interested in their work or they wouldn't have bothered getting a qualification to work in the gym as an instructor in the first place.

No I didn't ask how to do every movement. Many of them are self explanatory. Some of them, like squats, require reading/video watching to see how to perform the movement properly. Then you can even record yourself and watch yourself doing the movement to see if you are doing it correctly. Or alternatively you could just ask the gym instructor to show you how to squat with proper form. The more you read and search for information on certain movements yourself the more you will learn. Just because you are coached at crossfit doesn't mean they know everything either. Take some initiative and learn for yourself if you want to better your training.

Believe it or not there are many ways of training. If you choose crossfit then good for you. It is a good form of training if you want to increase strength / get fit. If you want to gain muscle and/or strength then there are better options. If you want solely get fit there are better options. Is crossfit a good option for combining the two? Sure, but again it's not the only option.

No offence but I'm not going to continue debating with someone who's evidence for crossfit being better is based on you injuring yourself by not using proper technique at a regular gym. That's your fault, not the gym or its instructors (and I am not a fan of kingfisher myself - no water fountain at the gym? but hey we'll sell you water for €2 a bottle :rolleyes:) Like I said, what they do is good and effective but it's expensive. There are cheaper options which are just as effective. If it's working for you then great, I'm glad you and many others are benefiting from the service that's being provided. I'm sure they enjoy coaching it and you enjoy learning it so good luck and I hope you stay injury free. I hope that their business continues to be a success and people continue to benefit from it. At least they run an honest business and don't push unnecessary supplements and other crap on people who don't know any better. Good for them and long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

popcorn.gif

jive wrote: »

I didn't ...

You said it in your previous post.

You should have to ask the trainers because obviously they cannot watch everyone or teach everyone unless they are asked. Do you really think that if you asked them for advice they would say no? They are gym instructors for god sake. The fact that they work in the gym indicates to me that they might actually enjoy helping someone out because they are obviously interested in their work or they wouldn't have bothered getting a qualification to work in the gym as an instructor in the first place.

No I didn't ask how to do every movement. Many of them are self explanatory. Some of them, like squats, require reading/video watching to see how to perform the movement properly. Then you can even record yourself and watch yourself doing the movement to see if you are doing it correctly. Or alternatively you could just ask the gym instructor to show you how to squat with proper form. The more you read and search for information on certain movements yourself the more you will learn. Just because you are coached at crossfit doesn't mean they know everything either. Take some initiative and learn for yourself if you want to better your training.

Believe it or not there are many ways of training. If you choose crossfit then good for you. It is a good form of training if you want to increase strength / get fit. If you want to gain muscle and/or strength then there are better options. If you want solely get fit there are better options. Is crossfit a good option for combining the two? Sure, but again it's not the only option.

No offence but I'm not going to continue debating with someone who's evidence for crossfit being better is based on you injuring yourself by not using proper technique at a regular gym. That's your fault, not the gym or its instructors (and I am not a fan of kingfisher myself - no water fountain at the gym? but hey we'll sell you water for €2 a bottle :rolleyes:) Like I said, what they do is good and effective but it's expensive. There are cheaper options which are just as effective. If it's working for you then great, I'm glad you and many others are benefiting from the service that's being provided. I'm sure they enjoy coaching it and you enjoy learning it so good luck and I hope you stay injury free. I hope that their business continues to be a success and people continue to benefit from it. At least they run an honest business and don't push unnecessary supplements and other crap on people who don't know any better. Good for them and long may it continue.

Please look over all my posts and quote where I said... Working in a chipper now a gourmet chef... I didn't say it ..

Anyway your 100% right... In each of my posts, u will see me say each to their own.
    I'm not saying crossfit is the holy Grail of training.. It's working for me and plenty more... I was merely explaing how good value it is compared with normal gyms when you were saying it's too expensive.

IMO all gyms are expensive.. People can keep fit for free if they wish .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'm just going to lay this out there.
    Colum has probably more experience of doing Crossfit than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Crossfit affiliates are too expensive. Period.
    They get away with it because they only need small numbers to keep them ticking over.

They will tell you that you pay for the coaching.

This is what it takes to become a Crossfit Certified Coach
    A payment of $1,000, a weekend away and an easy exam.
    I know because I did it.
    If you are going to pay a premium for coaching, please do your research and choose a coach with years of experience, qualifications and reputation.
    Not because they hold a Crossfit Level 1.

They will tell you that you pay for equipment.

Well no, a price should be based on the service provided, not based on a companys costs and overheads or a 'name' that they paid for.
    I bought all the necessary gear for less than the average annual membership.
    Bumpers, rings, kettlebells, bands etc...

Disclaimer: Most of the people I've come across that are commercially involved in CF in Ireland are a decent bunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's funny... every time I think Crossfit has turned the corner and moved away from the cult like attitudes it used to display, threads like this pop up. The lads in CFI are a testament to how it should be done. They just offer people what they offer, get you in to try it, and if it's something you're into - super. None of these bogus science claims to try and make it sound like something it ain't.
    columok wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop saying that cf is scientifically proven. It strikes me that those individuals have little understanding of the scientific method. Recording times for things and noting the change with respect to time isn't "science". I have consulted a physicist/boards fitness celebrity and apparently this paragraph is a correct interpretation of what is and isn't science.

CF when trained sensibly taking out movements that cause more harm than good (eg butterfly kipping pull ups, box jumps, SDHPs etc) is an excellent way of motivating an average joe into training with intensity and trying a rake of different strength + conditioning tools. CF trained nonsensically can be dangerous and bad for your health.

Great post.

Don't forget the 750lb DL it can get you by only training with 500lb.
    watermark wrote: »
    Tom,
    Do you guys in CrossFit have a patent on a burpee? or a sit-up? or doing a burpee and then a sit-up after that?

I know gym instructors who combine crossfit training with "regular" gym work and their clients love it!! When your gym has 1000 members and only 5/6 staff let me know how you get on motivating/coaching them all!!!

Crossfit's biggest success is trademarking circuit training. The good gyms do a great job of combining many disciplines to get results for their members. The community atmosphere is on of the strongest things good CF gyms achieve too. I just don't like seeing bogus claims and an "us versus them" attitude in place of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Man I can't beleive any owner or manager of a company would let one of their staff member opening post on a public forum and/or address anyone in an official capacity in manner of Ned earlier in this post.

I was going to try it out but definitely not now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Hanley wrote: »

Don't forget the 750lb DL it can get you by only training with 500lb.

Eh? :confused:

Eh? :confused:

Hmmm maybe I mis-quoted, this is what I was referring to, it's a direct quote from Glassman, and complete horsesh!t too...

"But here's the fascinating part. We can take you from a 200 pound max deadlift to a 500-750 pound max deadlift in two years while only pulling max singles four or five times a year. We will though work the deadlift, like most lifts, approximately once per week at higher reps and under grueling conditions. It may intuit well that if you can pull a 250 pound deadlift 21 times coming to the lift at a heart rate of 180 beats per minute, then 500 pounds for a single at a resting heart rate is perhaps manageable."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

sharky86 wrote: »
    Man I can't beleive any owner or manager of a company would let one of their staff member opening post on a public forum and/or address anyone in an official capacity in manner of Ned earlier in this post.

I was going to try it out but definitely not now...

he is the joint owner..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Think this thread has ran its course and isn't a discussion (now anyway) about the place really. Going to lock it up.

Topic Closed

Sully wrote: »
    Think this thread has ran its course and isn't a discussion (now anyway) about the place really. Going to lock it up.

Topic Closed

IBL - gaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement