Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Pets Allowed?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey All,

Are pets generally allowed in rental properties even though on the ads there is no mention of it. The majority of ads have no mention if they are allowed. Looking at houses.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I know on Daft there is an option to search for properties that allow pets. But I don't know any other site that has this. If the property doesn't say Pets Allowed then most people would assume that pets are not allowed.

Your best bet would be to mention it when you ring to ask for a viewing. Tell them that you have a pet/pets and ask if it would be okay. I rang a landlord that didn't mention pets so I asked him on the phone. He said he wanted to think about it but came back to me to say it would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

We were house hunting about 6 months ago.
    We have a big woofer.
    We didn't say anything about the dog when arranging viewings.
    When we were viewing we mentioned it to the LLs and that we wouldn't expect any allowance for additional wear and tear (You could offer extra pet deposit).
    To our shock, every single Landlord said it was absolutely fine. The dog is an indoor dog too
    None of them had advertised that pets were allowed.
    Take a chance OP.
    If you're a responsible pet owner you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Same as above for me.
    Definately say it to the landlords before you move in though and have it included in your lease-we had a rabbit that caused no problems whatsoever but a landlord found out about it and tried to keep our deposit saying it was a breach of contract to ever have him on the property (only said this when we were moving out, despite being aware of it 3months after we moved in and saying nothing).

We had a dog in two houses, with nothing about pets mentioned on the ads. When we met the landlords at viewings, they just explained that they would expect €200 pet deposit. Fine with us, and we got it back due to him causing no problems.

Most houses would accept pets I imagine so just suss it out before you sign anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Don't limit yourself to the 'pets allowed' search function if you are using Daft. Most landlords seem to prefer an 'ideal' let without pets, children, smokers etc, but if they like a tenant then pets can come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

Don't limit yourself to the 'pets allowed' search function if you are using Daft. Most landlords seem to prefer an 'ideal' let without pets, children, smokers etc, but if they like a tenant then pets can come too.

That worked for us. Don't forget to get the Landlord's agreement in writing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That worked for us. Don't forget to get the Landlord's agreement in writing though.

It should always be mentioned in the lease agreement, that you are allowed to have a pet. No doubt about that.

But I would recommend to have your pet insured with Third Party Liability, depending on what type the pet is and just in case the pet has a bad day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Louth_101

Thanks for the advice. Have a dog who is house trained. so that is an added bonus

Advertisement