Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linkin Park

Options
  • 15-05-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Any LP fans in the house tonight? I'm currently listening to Hybrid Theory- an album that got me through most of high school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

McChubbin wrote: »
    Hybrid Theory- an album that got me through most of high school.

High school? Did you live in America at the time?
    I got Meteora for my 12th birthday I think it was, the first semblance of metal I ever owned, and it gave me many years of listening pleasure. I think they're well over the hill at this stage, Hybrid Theory and Meteora were formulaic but decent and everything since then has been fairly awful. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Circus_O

Hybrid Theory and Meteora were formulaic but decent and everything since then has been fairly awful

I agree. Same deal with me absolutely loved them circa meteora and hybrid theory then they were my gateway drug into the big wide world of metal and I kinda lost interest in the stuff they released after

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Heh I opened this thread expecting to have to give out to someone for bumping a thread from 2004 or something :).

I think Hybrid Theory and Reanimation are great albums. Parts of Meteora aren't bad and the rest of their back catalogue might as well be a different band given the drastic shift in their sound. The song What I've Done has grown on me since its release.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I actually saw them live twice or three times supporting Pearl Jam (god knows why they were supporting, but anywho...) and they were actually quite good! There were only a few songs I didn't know the words to and it brought back lots of memories of teenage years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I thought Hybrid was a good dose of pop music, Meteora had a few nice moments but after that nothing to impress. Couldn't listen to them now, a bit like the BeeGees.

• Advertisement

bit like the BeeGees.

nothin' wrong with a bitta beegees

Circus_O wrote: »
    nothin' wrong with a bitta beegees
    There's plenty wrong with the Bee Gees but you're new here so you'll learn eventually ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Hybrid Theory was one of the first albums I bought when I was getting into music. I still love that album. I saw Linkin Park live in the RDS in 2008 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Their new album A Thousand Suns, at first I hated it, asking myself "Where the fcuk is the guitar?!". But after a few listens it really grew on me. Its one of those albums you need to listen to all the way through to fully appreciate, and not just a song here and there

Malice wrote: »
    There's plenty wrong with the Bee Gees but you're new here so you'll learn eventually ;).

Ah now Malice, Rock & Metal is not the be-all and end-all of music! But perhaps this is a topic for another thread...

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Ah now Malice, Rock & Metal is not the be-all and end-all of music! But perhaps this is a topic for another thread...
    Trust me I know it's not. My point is that discussion of the merits of the Bee Gees doesn't belong here.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Trust me I know it's not. My point is that discussion of the merits of the Bee Gees doesn't belong here.

Ah, well that's a fair point alright. My mistake :pac:

Ah, well that's a fair point alright. My mistake :pac:
    No harm done. We can all await Circus_O's Bee Gees appreciation thread in the general music forum :).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen them live supporting Metallica in 04/05 in the RDS and wasnt a big fan before then, picked up some stuff after that performance and over time just lost interest in them TBH.

Apologies, wasn't trying to de-rail, and that thread will happen!

On topic, while moving I discovered my old albums, Linkin park are back on the ipod, so much nostalgia. Minutes to midnight an album i mostly disregared i'm now actually starting to quite like. Bleed it out and what i've done have been in rotation.

Also an ( I think ) not incredibly well known Linkin park song is my december, it was on a single they released. It should be looked up if you havent heard it really cool track, ambient and quite subdued

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've gotten older so haven't heard anything from them in years. What I will say is that Faint is one of my alltime favourite songs.

I've gotten older so haven't heard anything from them in years. What I will say is that Faint is one of my alltime favourite songs.

You are correct sir! Faint is probably their best track, just flawless.

Circus_O wrote: »
    Apologies, wasn't trying to de-rail, and that thread will happen!
    No harm done. I see the thread has happened too!
    Circus_O wrote:
    Also an ( I think ) not incredibly well known Linkin park song is my december, it was on a single they released. It should be looked up if you havent heard it really cool track, ambient and quite subdued
    It was on the Reanimaton album so it shouldn't be that unknown. Unless the vesion on the single was different?

Yeah the reanimation version was different alot more produced, the single version is much more ambient and personal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

New tune. Thoughts?

Sounds very different from their usual stuff but very much like it compared to the last album muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

New tune. Thoughts?

Sounds very different from their usual stuff but very much like it compared to the last album muck.

It's sounds good as you said way better than their previous album which I thought was an absolute disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I enjoyed Hybrid Theory and Meteora but haven't been able to get into the other albums. It's just really annoying and unappealing now, and all this remix sh!t has got to stop. I don't want to see them remixing another Linkin Park song, it just seems like a big money making scam to try and make more money off of their more commercial and successful songs. Not saying they're sellouts but it just seems unnessery to remix a song they already made years ago, and then rerelease it on another album.

The rapping sounds so forced and out of place in that tune... It's like they have to give Michael a certain number of verses per album for him to continue to qualify for the LP dental plan...

The rapping sounds so forced and out of place in that tune... It's like they have to give Michael a certain number of verses per album for him to continue to qualify for the LP dental plan...
    Well put :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

New tune. Thoughts?

I like that!! Their last album was a joke! A Thousand Suns or something? It was a disaster from start to finish. By the sounds of the above, are they going back to their roots a bit? Back to what made them big in the first place? I hope so! I love all LP's stuff (their Minutes To Midnight album was amazing IMHO) but they strayed off the path a bit with their last album. Let's hope they're getting back to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Bought the new album, what a load of crap! Burn It Down is the only good song on it. I thought they said that they were going to go back to their Hybrid Theory roots.

they said that they were going to go back to their Hybrid Theory roots.
    They probably say that prior to every new album release to boost sales to fans of their old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Got to listen to the new album in full yesterday along with the new album from The Offspring.

Two very poor albums. Would go as far as to say that LP's new album is a step down from A Thousand Suns. Dull, uninspired, and very very unoriginal in sound.

The Offspring's album is not much better, has about three songs that would have made it as B-sides from the Ixnay on the hombre era but the rest sounds like sub par MTV wannabee fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bought the new album, what a load of crap! Burn It Down is the only good song on it. I thought they said that they were going to go back to their Hybrid Theory roots.

They made a big deal in most of their interviews about the new album to point out that it was the most intense work they had down and echoed back to Hybrid Theory.

As Malice said, it was just BS talk from them to try and kid people into buying muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Kess73 wrote: »
    Got to listen to the new album in full yesterday along with the new album from The Offspring.

Two very poor albums. Would go as far as to say that LP's new album is a step down from A Thousand Suns. Dull, uninspired, and very very unoriginal in sound.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    They made a big deal in most of their interviews about the new album to point out that it was the most intense work they had down and echoed back to Hybrid Theory.

As Malice said, it was just BS talk from them to try and kid people into buying muck.

Ah sh!te lads, I'm disappointed and annoyed to hear that. I was so looking forward to it too! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agree with Kess, The Offspring and Linkin Park albums are both shite.

They should hang up the auto tune and turntables respectively.

Advertisement