Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading kit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

Hello Glensman,best of luck with your new kit when you get it.Primer pocket cleaner and uniformer are I believe a necessity. The concentricity gauge is used more by target shooters and not a "must have"for game shooters. When seating your heads, a little pressure at a time, lower the case,turn one quarter ,do this until bullet is seated after one full turn of the case. The idea is to even up the head in the case. If you can get the Sierra cds on reloading they are excellent. Talk nicely to MUM.(extra pressie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Hello Glensman,best of luck with your new kit when you get it.Primer pocket cleaner and uniformer are I believe a necessity. The concentricity gauge is used more by target shooters and not a "must have"for game shooters. When seating your heads, a little pressure at a time, lower the case,turn one quarter ,do this until bullet is seated after one full turn of the case. The idea is to even up the head in the case. If you can get the Sierra cds on reloading they are excellent. Talk nicely to MUM.(extra pressie)

Hi there, I have the Sierra DVDs thanks to a good man on this forum.
    I have been seating the bullets as you say and I also have a primer pocket uniformer! I would have like a flash-hole de-burrer but it will have to wait...

My OAL guage came today. I think I have Way too much of a jump on the .270. I have set the .223 to be .25mm off the lands because apparently there is a lot of free space on a howa/weatherby :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

Hello Glensman,You can make a very simple seating depth gauge.Use an unprimed, full resized brass.With a junior hacksaw, put one cut the length of the neck in the case.Do not cut the shoulder. Make sure to debur the cut. Seat a head in the case, put it in your rifle and close the bolt.Be careful extracting the round and measure the result. This will give you a case length with the head touching the lands. Allow for your jump when calculating your seating depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Hello Glensman,You can make a very simple seating depth gauge.Use an unprimed, full resized brass.With a junior hacksaw, put one cut the length of the neck in the case.Do not cut the shoulder. Make sure to debur the cut. Seat a head in the case, put it in your rifle and close the bolt.Be careful extracting the round and measure the result. This will give you a case length with the head touching the lands. Allow for your jump when calculating your seating depth.

I have the OAL guage now and the maths done! I was going to over-expand a neck so that a bullet just had a bit of friction and then chamber the round. I think this would have worked well too...

Once I get a bit of time, probably next week, I should be able to start load dev, work and weather permitting!

Advertisement