Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra-Vision is closing down in Dalkey with other businesses opening up!

Options
  • 15-05-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I am after finding out that Xtra-Vision in Dalkey is closing down after roughly 2 decades of business. It will be really sad to see another dead retail unit in the town. I am aware of the fact that the former IN Bar, Starbucks, Don Giovanni's and Wine Not are being reopened as new businesses. Wine Not will become another cafe called "The Corner Note Cafe" while the IN Bar is rumored to be reopened as a gastro-pub. Don Giovanni's is being re-branded as Pecurino. I'm not too sure what is happening with the old Starbucks building. It will be interesting to see what the new cafe will have to offer. However, I do think that the town is over-saturated with cafes and pubs. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but, I can't see how more of the same type of businesses will help the town in getting back on it's feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i believe the group is in administration. You also forgot about the new tram yard cafe.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/29817-xtra-vision-shareholders-lo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm not surprised. With so many stores and no real competition, they are effectively competing with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they are effectively competing with themselves

there competing with far more than themselves.

with the succes of Apple TV and other legal movie rental sites along with other illegal download sites they've fierce competition.

i use to rent at least 1 movie a week from them. since christmas i've being renting all my movies online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I used to rent at least 2 movies a week. I havn't rented a single movie in about 4years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sunrise club

ExtraVision has now re-opened as a Fish Shop called Roberts of Dalkey and old Starbucks is now a Tapas Restaurant & Wine Bar called Dalkey Dispensary
    The old IN is now Magpie Inn plus there is a Nepalese restaurant called Kathmandu plus a music school called Kingston Academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nepalese restaurant called Kathmandu

oh, sounds interesting. Any reports of it being good/bad/indifferent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

A tad on the pricey side. However, I have heard that the food is amazing. Must try it sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

theres one in rathgar too ''montys of katmandu'' and its really nice, never knew it was a chain store but apparently so or else they just have very similar names.wonder if there are any other montys of katmandu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

ExtraVision has now re-opened as a Fish Shop called Roberts of Dalkey and old Starbucks is now a Tapas Restaurant & Wine Bar called Dalkey Dispensary
    The old IN is now Magpie Inn plus there is a Nepalese restaurant called Kathmandu plus a music school called Kingston Academy.
    Seriously good review in Saturday's indo from food critic on the magpie

The Missus reads him every week and says for pub food he rates it higher than most restraunts. Must check it out before my job leaves the town

Advertisement