Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS Comarison (Need more Input!!!)

Options
  • 15-05-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Right so ive done this a few weeks ago and want to keep update. But its hard to catch up on every aspects of each OS so i slimmed it down to 3 (of which they are still incomplete)

So im looking for some input. Feedback on whats fair and not fair and what can be added weather to existing features or coming or some tab that i missed out on.

I want to make a feature list comparison that is a true reflection of each OS.

If you have coming features include a source :)

PS: I havent extensively used Nokia for years so havent got alot of details on them. Never used Palm, MeeGo or Blackberry so i didnt even try :)

159070.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Great list! I'd agree with all of that, TBH. I think something like this is necessary, it shows how little there is between the platforms. Almost all functions and capabilities (other than Flash and customisation) are consistent across the platforms. WP lags a little behind, but the future update box takes care of most of that.

One area I noticed, you have FaceTime as an Android capability and google Chat as an iPhone capability, think they should be the other way around!
    I would add MS Exchange, Yahoo, and Google services to iOS e-mail/contacts/calenders as it supports them natively, not just mobileMe. I would also add 480 x 320 resolution, as the 3Gs still uses this resolution.
    I would add DobleTwist, or similar into the Android Snyc column, because drag and drop is not Syncing, by definition. DoubleTwist may not be everyones cup of tea, but it might be useful for users new to Android, or to those considering changing from iOS to Android, who may (shock horror!!) like the functionality iTunes gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

bd250110 wrote: »
    One area I noticed, you have FaceTime as an Android capability and google Chat as an iPhone capability, think they should be the other way around!

Ops :) Will change that later on :)

I would add MS Exchange, Yahoo, and Google services to iOS e-mail/contacts/calenders as it supports them natively, not just mobileMe. I would also add 480 x 320 resolution, as the 3Gs still uses this resolution.

Will add the services :) Though with the coming IP4S or IP5 i think theres no need to throw down older specs. Ill add it. But i dont see alot of benefit. Think concentrating on whats now is the best way to keep this simple and easy to read. Too many tabs and options will just confuse people :)

Can you sync google apps with iOS. Couldn't find that option anywhere.

I would add DobleTwist, or similar into the Android Sync column, because drag and drop is not Syncing, by definition. DoubleTwist may not be everyones cup of tea, but it might be useful for users new to Android, or to those considering changing from iOS to Android, who may (shock horror!!) like the functionality iTunes gives.

Sure sounds fair :) Will be adding HTC Sync and Samsung Kies to it anyway. Not sure does Sony Erricson has anything like it.

Thanks for the feedback

Just a list on whats coming for WP7 Mango.

Will update the table later on in the month when i finish up exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are missing microsd: not supported by WP or iOs. WP uses some crazy drm that will trash your sdcard with bad sectors deliberately so card is tied to that one device. As such it doesn't support the microsd standard.

Also android phones have built-in video+voice chat now with latest version, only out officially for nexus s at the moment tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Symbian3 info for completeness,

Customisation homescreen widgets (fixed size), shortcuts, contacts, folders, app placement, lock screens/screensavers. Themes: wallpaper, colour scheme, icon appearance can be changed. Third-party shells also available.

Resolution 640x360 (16:9), 640x480 (4:3)

Instant information display homescreen widgets. (Also "sleeping screen" optional install provides always-present calendar item/sms/missed call count)

User Interface "Avkon" - hardware accelerated UI, smooth scrolling, transitions, touch gestures, deep hierarchical menus carried over from previous key-driven interface, consistent but dated look and feel

Application Alternatives Web or Music player can be swapped out. Problem with some Nokia apps not obeying swapped-out browser.

Notification Largely non-intrusive (popup panel, dismisses itself), limited management.

Contact/Email/Calendar management Import from SIM, MS Exchange sync supported, link with Twitter/Facebook (manually).

Navigation Excellent - best solution on mobile. True offline navigation, worldwide coverage, high quality mapping. Updated maps for a country can be downloaded directly to phone (wifi only). Few paid alternatives available.

File System Access Yes.

Apps Market Strict, and medium to high quality. No malware/trojans. Operator billing (buy apps using call credit/charge to phone bill) available for almost all customers.

Video Calling third-party (e.g. Fring), or 3G video call.

Side-loading apps Yes

Voice Commands Yes, phonebook and limited set of commands.

HTML5/Flash Not HTML5 yet/ FlashLite 4.

Multi-tasking Full

Hardware options Basic core feature set is same (CPU/GPU/RAM/network/USB on-the-go). Other features depend on model (front-facing camera, HDMI out, screen aspect, NFC). All touchscreen.

Games Good support. Easy to port existing titles (defined platform, featuers

Additional Features OTA firmware Updates, FM transmitter support, 5-band 3G radio, Bluetooth 3 support, NFC support, USB on-the-go support ("USB hosting"), OpenGL, full display mirroring via HDMI, not just movie playback, digitally-signed applications.

Remote security lock/wipe Third party.

Next version browser support for HTML5, encrypted file-system support, speed and fluidity of UI, improved calendar and email clients, icon refresh. (Following version) fully new shell/UI.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are missing microsd: not supported by WP or iOs. WP uses some crazy drm that will trash your sdcard with bad sectors deliberately so card is tied to that one device. As such it doesn't support the microsd standard.

Also android phones have built-in video+voice chat now with latest version, only out officially for nexus s at the moment tho.

I dont think MicroSD support is relevant to iOS or WP7. But its a good think to add expandable storage option to Android :) Will add in a tab :) Though you shouldnt remove the SD card in the first place as it is an internal memory option. Doing so voids your warranty anyway as you have to remove the void screws. Only Samsung Focus has an exposed MicroSD card but thats only in US markets. So not much of a deal.

Ive included Google Chat for video calling (where it says Video Chat [need to swap it around with Android <-> iOS :)

Will add Symbian up later on.

As well make some space for file system access

And try making a tab with Update Consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Your "Navigation" part seems a little inaccurate. iOS has Google maps just like Android does. Google maps is available for free on WP7. And the built in Bing Maps in WP7 does a great job as far as my experiences have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can find a pretty complete comparison of nearly all mobile os here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system

DjFlin wrote: »
    Your "Navigation" part seems a little inaccurate. iOS has Google maps just like Android does. Google maps is available for free on WP7. And the built in Bing Maps in WP7 does a great job as far as my experiences have gone.

Yeah i know :) Will change it at the end of the month when im adding in other stuff
    You can find a pretty complete comparison of nearly all mobile os here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system

Now taking stuff of wiki would be pointless as alot of stuff can be heavily inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

For the Remote security/lock/wipe etc, the mobile me service is free for the iphone 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement