Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Poxs

• 15-05-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi
    My little boy has a horrible dose of the chicken poxs. He is 2 years and 8 months. He is covered in them, they are even in his mouth, which is making eating and drinking really painful for him. Has anyone else has this problem. What food did your child find easiest to eat. Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

First thing I'd suggest is going to your chemist and talking to them about Phenergan.
    It is an over the counter sedating antihistamine, which is suitable for kids and a gods send when they have chicken pox.

Ice pack/icecubes rubbed on the blisters can also help and so can crushed ice in the mouth, but sorbets rather then icecream, after that any sort of soft food. Mine pretty much just ate bannanas and porridge and fruit juices when they had chicken pox and it was a case of a little but often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Stew apple or pear keep it in the fridge so its really cold, plenty of fluids.

It is horrible my daughter was 9 months and wouldn't eat or drink anything I had to use a syringe to squirt water into the back of her mouth just to get fluids into her. Baths with baking soda in it help relieve the itch for a while.

It will pass soon, good luck till it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

When my lady had them i took her to the chemist (1 week after outbreak) and they said i should have taken her to the gp to get anti viral medication as the sores were very close to her eyes, back then we only had that horrid pink lotion, Eurax is supposed to be better, my boys havent had the dreaded chicken pox yet, dreading it when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

thank you for the replies. honestly i never knew how awful chicken poxs were on a child.. i am using the Eurax which is good. got Phenergan from the chemist which is great for keeping the itch at bay too. we are struggling - be glad when they are gone thou. bless him, he is really fed up with them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

A lukewarm salt bath is great just before bed... tons of salt and no soap.. i found it great with my youngest who's only 16 months and got them last month. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Jeepers Annetted, that sounds awful. Could I ask where your little guy picked them up. Was it going around a creche or something? I can remember chicken pox and measles as a child and they were horrid and I would like to avoid them for my little girl until she is a bit older. Trying to get a 2 year old not to scratch doesn't bear thinking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

hiya, its doing the rounds at play school so I'd say he got it there. thank God, they are starting to dry out now so they should be gone in a few days. I know there is an inoculation for chicken pox - you order it thru your chemist and doctor administers it. i think if i knew how awful chicken pox would be, I would have gone for it. i only found about that while i was looking at the internet looking for advice! i know people say kids have to go thru these things but it was miserable there for a good few days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I got them from my toddler this week. He had them two weeks ago. I'm in my thirties so the Doc prescribed anti-virals 5 times a day for a week as it's potentially more severe in adults. I was watching out for the symptoms so got on the meds within hours of spots appearing. I feel a bit miserable but no terrible symptoms so far.

Advertisement